Thinning hair patches...

Black Vador Bullie

Apr 24, 2012
Sunny Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Vador
Hey everyone, Vador and I have been a way for a while, we've been busy planning a vacation for this weekend as well as other things too. But the last couple weeks I've notice some spots on vador that are losing hair, and I'm not really sure why. Vador doesn't seem to be bothered by it, ( he doesn't scratch at his fur too often.)
He's been eating Wellness super 5 mix for puppies for at least 2 and a half months, only give him doggie treats occasionally and try to limit them to all natural. The breeder also suggested giving him nu vet plus supplement when I bought him so he's been on that for a while now. Nothing in is diet has changed and he hasn't mingled with many other dogs yet so I don't think he caught a parasite from another dog. The only thing I can think of is he got his second round of kennel cough on Sunday the 13 th and the vet tech said if he had developed lumps on his skin it was a bad reaction. So Idk if that could be part of this hair loss??
I don't feel any lumps on his skin, but the patches that are thinning have a thicker feel to the skin if that make sense? And they are not red, just his normal skin color,but a lil on the flakey side.
I'm worried and dont know what to do. I mentioned we are going on vacation this weekend for 3 days and one day I had booked a doggie day care for a couple hours. Idk if thats a good idea any more.

Im planning of heading to petsmart after work for a fish filter and thought id look at the dog shampoo, see if there is something that might help.
IMAG5280.jpg
IMAG5279.jpg
The photos are hard to see I know but I thought I'd try.
and I actually made the first pic look worse by moving the hairs around.
Any suggestions?
Please and thank you.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Perhaps he is feeling the stress and anticipation of your upcoming vacation... Stress can lower the immune system... Which can cause hair loss and even mange. I cannot think of anything else at this time, but I do hope it's nothing. You may want to get a skin scrape done to be sure.

Mod85

Jun 23, 2011
Manitowoc, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson "Sammy"
Does he have allergies that you are aware of? Pollen in our area is really bad right now. Samson started sneezing and had a bit of a running noes for a few weeks and he eventually ended up getting a skin yeast infection. I didn't take him in for a few days because it was such a small area but took him on Monday after it started getting worse over the weekend. The best way to describe how his skin looked is really thick, scaly, flaky skin. His skin wasnt oozy at all, but the hair is now clumping together and when it comes out, it comes out in clumps attached to a really dark patch of scaly, scabby skin. I guess the skin infection started as the result of an increase of skin oil from allergies.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Usko had small bold patches as a pup after having few insidents of infections so his immune system was compromised. The vet said it was probably demodex without taking a skin scrape. In my opinion when it's only mild case no action is really needed.
I've heard two different stories. Some have started medication (expencive btw) and battled with it for more than 6 months and others leave it be (when the dog is not bothered) and it has cleared in about six months. We did the latter. We did switch to raw food but we never had any medication and I think too much washing is not beneficial.

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Our first bulldog, Winnie, had seasonal alopecia and would lose hair randomly at certain times of the year. Through a combination of prescription food, Atopica and Panalog cream, we saw a great improvement as time went on. The problem with hair loss, is that there are SO many things it can be attributed to - sooo, a vet visit might be in order to rule out parasites, allergies, etc.

PS: If it is allergies, oatmeal-based shampoos are so helpful!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online