Q about x-rays and hip/knee issues

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
So Punks is scheduled to have both his knees x-rayed in about an hour as he's been favouring his right leg ever since we got him. I understand that getting both sides done is essential as the 'non-injured' one have had to endure a lot more stress due to the extra pressure.

He's going to be awake the whole time, so they're not able to take an x-ray of his hips. I've noticed that the knee injuries could be because of bad hips. Do you think it's a good idea to see how his are as well? They need to give him anesthesia in order for them to do this.

I'll let everyone know what the xrays show by tontie. Crossing my fingers surgery's not needed. :pray:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would just see if they find anything wrong with the knees first before putting him under for the hips.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
they xrayed cuttys hips and spine without sedation. They did both knees but the thing they didnt do is a side view of the good knee. I guess what this 2nd Dr is saying to me is what I think is a good knee might actually be already damaged and the cause of the 2nd acl to actually go. Who knew all of this? Being that hips being in bad shape can cause the knees to go as well, I think Jill said you might want them to check to be sure. Heck you are already there anyhow. ;) Hopefully they can without sedating tho.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
All my bullies who had orthopedic problems (and even Linus, because he was limping for some odd reason) had their knees and hips x-rayed without anesthetic. I would ask if they can do the hips as well. Unless they are obviously painful (they it sounds like they're not) or the dog is hard to control or aggressive when manipulated (bulldogs usually aren't), they should be able to take the x-ray without any anesthetic.

Jenn is right, a lot of times problems with hips manifest themselves with knee problems in bulldogs so it would probably be helpful to see how the hip sockets look and possibly avoid future arthritic hips by knowing now if there are any issues.

Let us know how this turns out!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How did the session go?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm interested in finding out too!!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online