Yeast

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
Sherman is 4 years old and overrun with skin issues. We've tried various and sundry food changes and as the vet says...he's just predisposed to this stuff.

He keeps getting yeast infections in one of his facial folds. It goes right up to his eye.

Other than medicine for it, and keeping it clean, does anyone have any helpful home remedies they use to prevent this? It is much worse in the summer months.

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Mix it 50/50 with water. Stick one cotton ball in the solution, wipe folds. Take another cotton ball, dry :)

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
WE have the same issues with Dublin. No matter what I use on her folds can't get rid of the yeast... You name it, I've tried it and she also has terrible seasonal allergies. She also has it in one of her ears........... Drives me bananas....

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Mix it 50/50 with water. Stick one cotton ball in the solution, wipe folds. Take another cotton ball, dry :)

I'll give it a try. He's miserable....its raw, and I'm so sad for him. I hate too, to keep him on meds. Thank you.

OP
mcardle3

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
WE have the same issues with Dublin. No matter what I use on her folds can't get rid of the yeast... You name it, I've tried it and she also has terrible seasonal allergies. She also has it in one of her ears........... Drives me bananas....

I hear you. I just wish I could find something that would dry it up and keep him less sore. Zeabsorb is a powder one vet suggested. It is antifungal and antibacterial. I have used it with some success, but it isn't working now, dang it. Thanks!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
not a home remedy but [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] has used neo-predef powder (a prescription product) on her bully and his skin looks great. I'm planning to ask my vet about it for Tate's skin folds.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I thought I read on here somewhere that giving plain yogurt in with the food helps combat yeast issues...

Bre gets a big dolop of plain yogurt with her food everyday, mostly because she likes it but she doesn't have many issues right now (knock on wood!)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Unfortunately Eb's are prone to yeast, Vegas's face is OK right now but he has a really bad yeast infection in his left ear, I had him to the vet Sat. morning, currently on antibiotic drops for his ears. I use Mal-A-Ket liquid from our vet to wipe his face, feet and flush his ears, it works great, this ear infection just kind of snuck up on us.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Karly has the same thing as Vegas - she's on drops too. :(

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I agree with everyone. Maximus has the same problem with his skin folds. I've tried everything to. The Trizchlor4 wipes are probably the best wipes to use, but I have resorted to getting neo-Predef powder from my Vet and this seems to keep them from really getting raw, and red and sore.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
We 'pickle' Gizmo's Paws - we also use the regular Apple Cider Vinegar (never heard of Unfiltered though) hydrogen peroxide and water

1 Part ACV
1 Part Hydrogen Peroxide
2 Parts water

The addition of the Hydrogen Peroxide cleans any sore areas that might be getting an infection.

We've been VERY Lucky with her folds - now her OTHER end ! we had severe tail pocket issues - that she needed surgery for.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I love your use of "pickle" LOL I use the Malaket wipes too and Dublin absolutley hates them. Runs and hides when she sees me coming. They are very potent and I'm sure they must sting in bad areas. Tried all script meds, but it just comes back and I keep her really clean and dry just like all of you guys I'm sure. I will try the "pickling" technique :-) Her right ear is a huge problem. The vet has never prescribed a powder but something like that seems to make more sense to me so I will ask him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online