we know what is wrong with Katara's leg.. any experience with it?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I had a shih tzu eons ago that suffered from a luxating ulna (the elbow region). We had the surgery because his slippage was very pronounced and painful. Very wonderful surgeon at NY Animal Medical Hospital in Manhattan. In Hobb's case, the orthopedic surgeon said it was a congenital disease and we had a 50/50 chance of correcting the problem by doing the surgery. We opted for the surgery to the tune of almost $5k, unfortunately for us it didn't help, we were in that minority 50% that it didn't work. The orthopedist recommended giving him a supplement of glaucosamine & chondrointin. It is available over the counter in pill, powder and liquid form. It definitely help him alleviate some of the stiffness he would experience. He recommended the liquid form above all else because it's absorbed into their system at a much faster rate.

Good luck. I am really sorry to hear this. Hobbs lived a very long and productive life post-op and his discomfort was eased greatly with the stuff that was recommended.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
@acarabias well on Cash his patella had moved to the side of his knee and had to have surgery or he would eventually lose the use of his leg.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Awwww poor Katara. :hug: I don't have any experience in this Ana but I know she has you and will be in great hands. Sorry I can't offer more advice. :( Hang in there lady!!! :hug:

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
hey Ana ---- Nitschke had this issue... never stopped him from doing anyting. He did eventually have surgery on the knee but it was due to ACL tear, which sometimes one causes the other. We put him on supplements at 1 year and continued for his life. He was a very active and we kept him at 55-58 lbs.
Katara is becoming more and more like Nitschke and Aldo like Banks.. how funny.. what supplements was he on? Did he develop arthritis as well? How severe was his luxation? How old was he when he ended up finally getting the surgery? You just got bombarded with questions Christine.. lol!!

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I had a shih tzu eons ago that suffered from a luxating ulna (the elbow region). We had the surgery because his slippage was very pronounced and painful. Very wonderful surgeon at NY Animal Medical Hospital in Manhattan. In Hobb's case, the orthopedic surgeon said it was a congenital disease and we had a 50/50 chance of correcting the problem by doing the surgery. We opted for the surgery to the tune of almost $5k, unfortunately for us it didn't help, we were in that minority 50% that it didn't work. The orthopedist recommended giving him a supplement of glaucosamine & chondrointin. It is available over the counter in pill, powder and liquid form. It definitely help him alleviate some of the stiffness he would experience. He recommended the liquid form above all else because it's absorbed into their system at a much faster rate.

Good luck. I am really sorry to hear this. Hobbs lived a very long and productive life post-op and his discomfort was eased greatly with the stuff that was recommended.
I am glad to hear his life was not cut short because of this. Katara does not seem in a lot of pain at this time, but I will be watching her closely for signs of more discomfort.. thank you for your support. I will start her on supplements, the vet told me to wait until she was done growing a little more...

Awwww poor Katara. :hug: I don't have any experience in this Ana but I know she has you and will be in great hands. Sorry I can't offer more advice. :( Hang in there lady!!! :hug:
Thank you Jeannie.. :heart:

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Oliver was diagnosed with Patella Luxation in his left leg at 7 months old, however he was only a Grade 2. We did many exercises with him - walking up steep inclines. We lucked out because he was young and through a growth spurt, the grooves of his knee spread out a little and the kneecap went back into place. NOW (and not to scare you at all but just wanting to give you our experience) Oliver just suffered a torn ACL in the RIGHT hind leg. We don't feel this was through injury (although not 100% certain) because he had simply been sleeping and then woke up with a limp.

So, our vet and the surgeon both informed us that he could have been experiencing Patella Luxation in THIS leg and that could have caused the issue with his ACL. (dogs with patella luxation can be prone to ACL tears) In fact, he just had TTA surgery yesterday and we brought him home today (we have a thread on the Health board). The interesting thing is that both Oliver's mom and dad were certified to not have Patella Luxation so it wasn't even a hereditary thing for Oliver. We did start Oliver on glucosamine with chondriotin at 6 months old and I feel it has helped him.

I know Katara is a different grade than Oliver, but have you spoken to your vet about any physical therapy and exercises?
Hugs to you and Katara!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION], he would limp bad on it and sometimes not be able to put much weight on it. It was mostly to the side but would move.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Oh dear, I know how worrisome it is when your furbabies are uncomfortable or in pain no matter how slight. When I noticed BabyGirl wasn't eating very much and losing weight I thought it was her arthritis and the vet checked her patellas and turns out no problem there and for that I'm grateful but I could never imagine beautiful Katara would have this problem and so young. But I'm glad she has you for her mama cuz I know you are one of the best mommies she could have.:luv:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Katara is becoming more and more like Nitschke and Aldo like Banks.. how funny.. what supplements was he on? Did he develop arthritis as well? How severe was his luxation? How old was he when he ended up finally getting the surgery? You just got bombarded with questions Christine.. lol!!

LOL... funny, but TRUE!! He was on a powder form of glucosmine that I just sprinkled on his food, I think it was GLC 1000. Yes, he had arthritis very bad in his hips and knees... we had stem cell therapy done with him in March 2011 and he was doing awesome during those next few months -- puppy energy and playfulness. I am not sure of the severity, but his knee cap was always popping out and we could easily move it around. His first ACL was November 2008 and it had to be done again (same knee) in February 2009.... the line that was used snapped, it was too thin. Nitschke recovered very quick both times, but we still had him on limited activity for over 4 months.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want to chat about it

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
There is such a thing as knee and leg brace's for dogs. They are made to fit and cost anywhere from $200 and up, There's a place in Honeybrook PA that invented a type that is suppose to work very well. This particular one is made from a cast.
When Dolly had a limp, I Google " leg brace for Dogs" lots of types came up, I was impressed. Another one is called Mutt Brace. Could be worth while for you. I also give my dogs joint supplements.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Sorry to hear that Katara has this issue... I don't have any experience with it but I do have an 8 year old Weimaraner who was diagnosed with severe hip dyplasia at 6 months that has yet to display any clinical signs of the conditions... We were given the same advice keep her on the light-side, start immediately on glucosamine ans chondroitan, and keep her muscles strong with controlled exercise ie. walking, not running. Give Katara a hug from us....

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
wonder if there is any type of support appliance for dogs. :hug:

They absolutely do have braces for dogs. If (God willing) Abby is with us long enough and her elbows and/or hip to become a problem, a brace is her only option. They can't give her anesthesia get spayed, never mind a major surgery like that. She also can't have most of medications prescribed for arthritis or pain.

elbowbrace.jpgthis one is for the elbow dysplasia

luxatingpatellabrace.jpgthis one for luxating patella

bella_old.jpghip problems (the neoprene ones are obviously less expensive)

check this out

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.