Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: we know what is wrong with Katara's leg.. any experience with it?

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: we know what is wrong with Katara's leg.. any experience with it?

Oh boy... I was soooo hoping for better news. I wish I had any help for you but none in this area.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by acarabias View Post
    Katara is becoming more and more like Nitschke and Aldo like Banks.. how funny.. what supplements was he on? Did he develop arthritis as well? How severe was his luxation? How old was he when he ended up finally getting the surgery? You just got bombarded with questions Christine.. lol!!

LOL... funny, but TRUE!! He was on a powder form of glucosmine that I just sprinkled on his food, I think it was GLC 1000. Yes, he had arthritis very bad in his hips and knees... we had stem cell therapy done with him in March 2011 and he was doing awesome during those next few months -- puppy energy and playfulness. I am not sure of the severity, but his knee cap was always popping out and we could easily move it around. His first ACL was November 2008 and it had to be done again (same knee) in February 2009.... the line that was used snapped, it was too thin. Nitschke recovered very quick both times, but we still had him on limited activity for over 4 months.

Let me know if you have any other questions or want to chat about it
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

There is such a thing as knee and leg brace's for dogs. They are made to fit and cost anywhere from $200 and up, There's a place in Honeybrook PA that invented a type that is suppose to work very well. This particular one is made from a cast.
    When Dolly had a limp, I Google " leg brace for Dogs" lots of types came up, I was impressed. Another one is called Mutt Brace. Could be worth while for you. I also give my dogs joint supplements.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that Katara has this issue... I don't have any experience with it but I do have an 8 year old Weimaraner who was diagnosed with severe hip dyplasia at 6 months that has yet to display any clinical signs of the conditions... We were given the same advice keep her on the light-side, start immediately on glucosamine ans chondroitan, and keep her muscles strong with controlled exercise ie. walking, not running. Give Katara a hug from us....

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    wonder if there is any type of support appliance for dogs.
    They absolutely do have braces for dogs. If (God willing) Abby is with us long enough and her elbows and/or hip to become a problem, a brace is her only option. They can't give her anesthesia get spayed, never mind a major surgery like that. She also can't have most of medications prescribed for arthritis or pain.

-elbowbrace-jpgthis one is for the elbow dysplasia

-luxatingpatellabrace-jpgthis one for luxating patella

-bella_old-jpghip problems (the neoprene ones are obviously less expensive)

check this out

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

@Twice...Awesome! Great info...I surely hope it helps our Abby..WHEN...she gets one!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Thinking of you, @acarabias - so sorry you and Katara are going thru this.....

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

aw poor katara. im sorry ana that its not better news. i so hope that the supplements and such can help

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads