Brutus Fly Snapping/Partial Seziure Video

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Okay here is a quick update! ...I have some videos that I showed to the Dr and he also witnessed Brutus doing it in the exam room..Brutus sometimes isnt awre of his surroundings lately while its happening ....We are starting Brutus on Phenobarbital 15 mg every 12 hours (has to be same time everday with food) Brutus will have bloodwork drawn in 2 weeks to check the Phenobarbital levels to ensure he is in therputic range.... We arent sure how long he will be on the meds...If he doesnt have any episodes we know the meds are working.(Even if he has 2-3 a week thats better than 2-3 a day..If he continues having same amount a day we will slowley increase the dosage..Brutus will hve his blood checked every 3-4 months to check his bial levels to ensure liver function isnt compromised...I know we are doing the best we can and we have a long road ahead of us but I know Brutus will be just like every other bullie out there! He just needs meds and lots of love!!!

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] I know I said I would text but I didnt want to bother you again! I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITHOUT YOU GUIDING ME THROUGH THIS!!!! How often do you get bloodwork??? I was asking if we could do 2-3 months??? Dr said 3-4 is fine and some dogs only get blood work every 6mnths..??? :hug: :hug: :hug:

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Hope all goes well for you and Brutus he's Kains little bro on here so I'm hoping all works out for you guys...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Hope all goes well for you and Brutus he's Kains little bro on here so I'm hoping all works out for you guys...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you! Yes Brutus is Kain's brudder from another mudder :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh roe I'm sorry to see this thread. I wish I could help but thankfully know nothing really helpful. I will say that my thoughts n prayers are with you. I am here if you need me n if it were me id want a text anytime day or night. If you need anything roe I'm here n I will give you my number if u need to talk. Hugs from me n Sarah

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas use to have his blood drawn every 3 to 4 months just like you will have done. For the last 2 years vegas has been perfect..... Right on target on his therapeutic range on both his Phenobarbital and potassium bromide levels. So now we only have a gun every 6 months. That should have said "have it done". Hopefully your vet doesn't hate my name by now. Please tell me you have yet to say to your vet "well cheryl says....." Lol

Last edited:
OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas use to have his blood drawn every 3 to 4 months just like you will have done. For the last 2 years vegas has been perfect..... Right on target on his therapeutic range on both his Phenobarbital and potassium bromide levels. So now we only have a gun every 6 months. That should have said "have it done". Hopefully your vet doesn't hate my name by now. Please tell me you have yet to say to your vet "well cheryl says....." Lol

:hmm: Your acutally Cheryl Vegas's Mom :lol: Yes he def knows your name! He was surprised how much I knew and I told him all about you and Vegas! I know what I know cause of you! :hug: He mentioned the potassium bromide..I am nervous about him walking and coordination at first...2 More questions :) How long did it take for Vegas to get used to the meds?? When did you introduce potassium bromide with the pheno???

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh roe I'm sorry to see this thread. I wish I could help but thankfully know nothing really helpful. I will say that my thoughts n prayers are with you. I am here if you need me n if it were me id want a text anytime day or night. If you need anything roe I'm here n I will give you my number if u need to talk. Hugs from me n Sarah

Thank you so much Sandra :hug: I hate to bother and I know its not :lol: If that makes sense :) You are always there when needed and I really appreciate you :hug:

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
It was all within the first year of being diagnosed. He started the phenobarbital immediately....then I stopped because I was scared. The Dr then put him on potassium bromide. When his seizure frequency did not improve, we reintroduced the phenobarbital. Vegas is on 64.8mg twice daily of the phenobarbital. He is at the highest level he can be without being over therapeutic levels. He weighs between 52 and 55 pounds. The potassium bromide required a loading dose...the drug takes awhile to level out in his system. It was several weeks after one of the increases in the bromide that his legs stopped working. Because it was several weeks after the fact...I wasn't putting 2 and 2 together. My mind was thinking "brain tumor" when reality was....he was way over therapeutic range.
It will take several weeks for his body to adjust to the "drunkiness effect" of the drugs. IF he even experiences it. I think it might actually be more of the potassium bromide that causes the goofiness than anything. Just watch him around stairs and on slippery surfaces. We actually have a step up (a turned over wine box) to one of the couches that Vegas likes to use.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
It was all within the first year of being diagnosed. He started the phenobarbital immediately....then I stopped because I was scared. The Dr then put him on potassium bromide. When his seizure frequency did not improve, we reintroduced the phenobarbital. Vegas is on 64.8mg twice daily of the phenobarbital. He is at the highest level he can be without being over therapeutic levels. He weighs between 52 and 55 pounds. The potassium bromide required a loading dose...the drug takes awhile to level out in his system. It was several weeks after one of the increases in the bromide that his legs stopped working. Because it was several weeks after the fact...I wasn't putting 2 and 2 together. My mind was thinking "brain tumor" when reality was....he was way over therapeutic range.
It will take several weeks for his body to adjust to the "drunkiness effect" of the drugs. IF he even experiences it. I think it might actually be more of the potassium bromide that causes the goofiness than anything. Just watch him around stairs and on slippery surfaces. We actually have a step up (a turned over wine box) to one of the couches that Vegas likes to use.

Okay very good to know! They started him on 15mg just phenobarbital for now and said we will see how he does and if we need to increase we will..He also said we could add the potassium bromide instead of incresing the phenobarbital to see how he reacts to it??? I think we may decide to do that as the Pot Bromide isnt processed in the liver...:hmm: I will have so many more questions...Thanks again and again!

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Okay very good to know! They started him on 15mg just phenobarbital for now and said we will see how he does and if we need to increase we will..He also said we could add the potassium bromide instead of incresing the phenobarbital to see how he reacts to it??? I think we may decide to do that as the Pot Bromide isnt processed in the liver...:hmm: I will have so many more questions...Thanks again and again!

We tried to keep him off the phenobarb....but we needed both of the drugs AND the valium to get him where he is today. You'd think that he'd be a drunk zombie...but you've seen the recent videos of him. He seems perfectly sober. HA!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Sending well wishes to Brutus and thoughts of karmic gratitude for this fine forum. :heart:

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
We tried to keep him off the phenobarb....but we needed both of the drugs AND the valium to get him where he is today. You'd think that he'd be a drunk zombie...but you've seen the recent videos of him. He seems perfectly sober. HA!

:) Love Vegas! He is perfect and has a great personality! Drunk or not :lol:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online