Summer Months

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hello Everyone!

So this is my first summer having Winston. Now summers in New England vary from 70s-90s. I do not have central air in my house but I do have two window units one for my bedroom and one for Winston's room. I am just worried about how he will be in the summer and do no want anything to happen to him! So I was wondering if you experts had any tips on how to keep him cool and would know how hot is too hot??

Thanks!! :D

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I'm in Central Ma and last year Bruin & Lilly did ok, with 1 AC in the window on the first floor. In the morning we would keep the blinds shut, then at lunch time when the bf would go home he would put the AC on low, then when I got home, I'd put it on high. They did ok, just a little light panting here and there by Bruin.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I'm in Maine and I too have a new bully - I plan to leave AC on low while I am at work and of course have one for our bedroom at night where he also sleeps.

I also have his kiddie pool out - he has used that a lot already.

Will see how it all works out but I think he'll be fine.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Hello, my first summer with Gio and Diva too and I am right outside Boston. We are buying a kiddie pool for them and also might invest in those cooling vests. We have a AC in one of the bedrooms upstairs but are buying another one for one of the rooms downstairs as well! I think anything over 80 you gotta limit outside time, pretty much only to go use the bathroom. But on days that are over 80 I plan on walking them after 7p.m when it starts to cool down.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks so much everyone!! Yeah the plan was to keep the blinds shut and maybe a fan on then when my husband goes home at lunch he was going to put the AC on for him. He is on the first floor. I just wasn't sure if that would be ok, we are also fairly close to the water which helps with the house not getting super hot! I may also get one of this cooling collars and a kiddie pool for him! :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm in Maine and I too have a new bully - I plan to leave AC on low while I am at work and of course have one for our bedroom at night where he also sleeps.

I also have his kiddie pool out - he has used that a lot already.

Will see how it all works out but I think he'll be fine.

This is what I would do too

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Thanks so much everyone!! Yeah the plan was to keep the blinds shut and maybe a fan on then when my husband goes home at lunch he was going to put the AC on for him. He is on the first floor. I just wasn't sure if that would be ok, we are also fairly close to the water which helps with the house not getting super hot! I may also get one of this cooling collars and a kiddie pool for him! :D

That is basically what we've done for Chunk. We actually had a window unit with a temperature gauge on it and kept it set at 78degrees. With blinds shut, it barely kicked on unless the outside temp was over 90. We also live by the water and that definitely helps. Chunk gets his long walks early in the morning (around 7am) and later in the evening (7:30-8pm) when it's cooler, with quick potty breaks in between. Has worked great! Oh and he loves his kiddie pool too! There is a video/pics from last year somewhere on the forum. :)

Oh the other suggestion I have is to get one of those indoor/outdoor thermometers from somewhere like Lowe's. It has helped us control the temp in our apartment for both Chunk and the baby. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks so much everyone!! That thermometer sounds like a good idea and so does that frozen pumpkin!! Winston absolutely loves pumpkin so I am sure he would love that!! I appreciate the help as always! :D

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
We have AC and keep it at about 75 during the day. They only go outside to go potty and playtime is also in the evening once the temps drop. MI has some weird weather, they say if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes cuz it will change!

Tobs31

May 16, 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Sullivan (my angel), Hank, and Ted
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337812461.636241.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337812492.520950.jpg

Hank LOVES his pool! He pouts when I put it away. Summer months in Florida are rough. I keep the ac at 74 for Hank during the day. We hang out inside a lot during the summer : )

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
this is something we've been looking into a lot. Summers in Alabama get miserable (except this year so far, the weather has been being kinda crazy?).

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I'm on the FL/GA border in an old old house. (The bathroom was put in about 50 years after it was build lol!!) Needless to say, no central air but I have window units in the bedrooms, hall by the stairs and the living room. Downstairs stays amazingly cool but the upstairs gets horribly hot without the a/c. Herschel has his own room... door shut during the day (I'm in there too a lot on the computer/knitting etc) and it stays about 74/75. Works well!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks for the advice everyone! So far the house has stayed at about 75/76 with just fans on. I have one blowing right on Winston and then one in the window sucking the hot air out. He also has a window unit in his room for when it starts to get a lot hotter and we can shut the door in there. He went in his kiddie pool for the first time this weekend, he loved it!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.