Excessive discharge/smegma

RissaT

May 9, 2012
San Diego, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie Schneeball
Charlie will be 2 in August. His problem is he always has a creamy sometimes greenish discharge dripping from his penis. The vet said it was normal for an intact male to produce this what he called smegma, he gave him some antibiotics anyway.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be appreciated. I do put him on a little diaper at bed time, but is still getting everywhere.

Thanks in advance :)

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Neuter! Chunk had that too until he was neutered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have to agree with @ChanelnBruts - neuter. Is there some reason why you want to keep your boy intact?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I know it is common in puppies but had not heard of it being a problem for adult dogs. It is foul looking too! Did the vet recommend fixing him as well?

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I would get him neutered too. Although,I have had Tonka neutered and I still see that stuff from time to time so I may be mistaken but I don't think it ever completely goes away.....

OP
RissaT

RissaT

May 9, 2012
San Diego, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie Schneeball
Thank you for the responses!

I have had dogs neutered that still had that, so I dont believe neutering it would solve the problem, but yes, it could definitely minimize.
I did found out that antibiotics and some rubber gloves, a bowl of warm water, cotton wool and a bottle of hibiscrub - diluting hibiscrub until pale pink and clean him twice daily will kill any infection and keep him nice and clean. So Im going for that. :)

Regarding getting him neutered, I cannot ignore the findings of increased risk from osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma, hypothyroidism, and other occurring diseases associated with neutering male dogs. In my country spay/neuter is to help with population control, or help with behavior. Charlie has not change in his behavior/personality, so I dont see why doing it. Plus, he would make cute babies! :flower:

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Thank you for the responses!

I have had dogs neutered that still had that, so I dont believe neutering it would solve the problem, but yes, it could definitely minimize.
I did found out that antibiotics and some rubber gloves, a bowl of warm water, cotton wool and a bottle of hibiscrub - diluting hibiscrub until pale pink and clean him twice daily will kill any infection and keep him nice and clean. So Im going for that. :)

Regarding getting him neutered, I cannot ignore the findings of increased risk from osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma, hypothyroidism, and other occurring diseases associated with neutering male dogs. In my country spay/neuter is to help with population control, or help with behavior. Charlie has not change in his behavior/personality, so I dont see why doing it. Plus, he would make cute babies! :flower:

I admire your diligence in cleaning him twice a day that way ... I had a hard enough time icing Chunk's boy parts after surgery! (Granted, we were doing this because he wouldn't sit still and just one trip up and down the stairs caused swelling. Chunk had to be neutered to correct an enlarged prostate and it worked better than they thought it would! However, neutering him at 3 years old made it more difficult because he was more prone to infection.) I would do anything for this boy but his cleaning schedule already takes up so much of my day. I guess it's different in each scenario but Chunk's smegma went completely away! (So glad because it was so gross, I felt like I was always cleaning it off of somewhere!!!)

OP
RissaT

RissaT

May 9, 2012
San Diego, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie Schneeball
I admire your diligence in cleaning him twice a day that way ... I had a hard enough time icing Chunk's boy parts after surgery! (Granted, we were doing this because he wouldn't sit still and just one trip up and down the stairs caused swelling. Chunk had to be neutered to correct an enlarged prostate and it worked better than they thought it would! However, neutering him at 3 years old made it more difficult because he was more prone to infection.) I would do anything for this boy but his cleaning schedule already takes up so much of my day. I guess it's different in each scenario but Chunk's smegma went completely away! (So glad because it was so gross, I felt like I was always cleaning it off of somewhere!!!)

I understand!!! I think in your case definitely neutering him was the best option! Ugh, I imagine how hard the pos-opp was. :(
Charlie always had some discharge, which is normal, I think he has an infection going on down there or something irritating it.
You right about the gross, my bed is full with spots!!! I even found on my pillow :glare: the boy diaper really helps, and he looks cute on it. lol
BTW chunk is so cute <3 he was a rescue?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.