Oliver's TTA Surgery

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Don't think he hurt himself, sure doesn't act like it. He is outta control and stir crazy. The tranquilizers don't seem to do much aside from drug him. Does mellow him some but doesn't slow him much. I pictured him sleeping more but not drastically from what I can tell. Dr said his leg looks good so I Hope he is on the right track. Not going to use the meds all the time but on days when I need to leave him alone I think I will, added with crate time so he isn't to stir crazy. He just wants to party. Will jump and run if possible. Ugh.... Wearing me out....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Don't think he hurt himself, sure doesn't act like it. He is outta control and stir crazy. The tranquilizers don't seem to do much aside from drug him. Does mellow him some but doesn't slow him much. I pictured him sleeping more but not drastically from what I can tell. Dr said his leg looks good so I Hope he is on the right track. Not going to use the meds all the time but on days when I need to leave him alone I think I will, added with crate time so he isn't to stir crazy. He just wants to party. Will jump and run if possible. Ugh.... Wearing me out....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Poor Cutty .. he's probably getting quite bored. :shout:

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
I can't believe tomorrow we are four weeks since surgery. I feel like I've been sucked into a black hole. Oliver has started going stir crazy and I know he misses playing with all of his friends at the park. Today was another physical therapy session and his right leg is definitely getting more use, as not only has his range of motion improved but the leg itself has gained almost a centimeter in muscle. Go Oliver Go!
Oliver was SUPER stubborn at therapy today and just wanted to play and be massaged and stretched. We are focusing now on getting him to STEP OVER obstacles instead of hopping over. He seems to have forgotten how to do that. Anyway, he wouldn't even step over these bars for turkey, which is his favorite. He hopped over twice so we're going to practice at home this week (stepping over random items in the house) so he can impress his therapist next week.

I have to say, if anyone ever wonders if they should do therapy with their dog after surgery - YES. Not only has Oliver improved so much so quickly, but we are learning TONS about what we should be doing to help Oliver get back on track and use his leg as he should, and not just how he thinks he should. ;)

6-17-12-therapy.jpg

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I can't believe tomorrow we are four weeks since surgery. I feel like I've been sucked into a black hole. Oliver has started going stir crazy and I know he misses playing with all of his friends at the park. Today was another physical therapy session and his right leg is definitely getting more use, as not only has his range of motion improved but the leg itself has gained almost a centimeter in muscle. Go Oliver Go!
Oliver was SUPER stubborn at therapy today and just wanted to play and be massaged and stretched. We are focusing now on getting him to STEP OVER obstacles instead of hopping over. He seems to have forgotten how to do that. Anyway, he wouldn't even step over these bars for turkey, which is his favorite. He hopped over twice so we're going to practice at home this week (stepping over random items in the house) so he can impress his therapist next week.

I have to say, if anyone ever wonders if they should do therapy with their dog after surgery - YES. Not only has Oliver improved so much so quickly, but we are learning TONS about what we should be doing to help Oliver get back on track and use his leg as he should, and not just how he thinks he should. ;)

View attachment 22518

I wonder how you get to be a dog physical therapist???

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Well, we are only a few days shy of being 5 weeks since surgery. Oliver seems to have reached this "healing" plateau and I firmly believe it's because he doesn't like walks. The standard "normal" dog should be ready for 15-20 minute walks by now. Oliver wouldn't do that even before he tore his ACL. He refused to. He simply doesn't enjoy walking. And the same goes for post-surgery. We can get him to walk for about 5 minutes and then he just wants to plop down and start rolling around like a weirdo. He has always been this way. (just ask [MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] - she's seen him be this stubborn in person!)

His lack of walking is why I'm also happy we chose physical therapy. He gets stretched and we learn how to do things at home to compensate for his lack of desire for putting one foot in front of the other. ;)

One week from tomorrow is Oliver's 6 week check up and we are reaaallllllllly hoping we, at the very least, get an okay that he can go out back to the bathroom without a leash and can have some (controlled) freedom. Fingers crossed!
oliverrrr-6-19-12.jpg

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Well, we are only a few days shy of being 5 weeks since surgery. Oliver seems to have reached this "healing" plateau and I firmly believe it's because he doesn't like walks. The standard "normal" dog should be ready for 15-20 minute walks by now. Oliver wouldn't do that even before he tore his ACL. He refused to. He simply doesn't enjoy walking. And the same goes for post-surgery. We can get him to walk for about 5 minutes and then he just wants to plop down and start rolling around like a weirdo. He has always been this way. (just ask @Chunksmama - she's seen him be this stubborn in person!)

His lack of walking is why I'm also happy we chose physical therapy. He gets stretched and we learn how to do things at home to compensate for his lack of desire for putting one foot in front of the other. ;)

One week from tomorrow is Oliver's 6 week check up and we are reaaallllllllly hoping we, at the very least, get an okay that he can go out back to the bathroom without a leash and can have some (controlled) freedom. Fingers crossed!
View attachment 22838

We don't have to bribe or trick him to walk to the car when it's time to leave the park or anything :lmao: Love him! Glad he's doing well despite his lack of wanting to walk. :) <3

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Oliver had another physical therapy session yesterday and the good news is that he is 100% back in the normal range of motion for his leg. Yay!
The not-as-good news is that he is still lacking strength and muscle tone. So our "homework" for this week is to start walking uphill and to do "sit/stand/sit/stand" exercises aka doggie squats. Ha!
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - You're not too far behind! I hope Cutty is recovering well!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oliver had another physical therapy session yesterday and the good news is that he is 100% back in the normal range of motion for his leg. Yay!
The not-as-good news is that he is still lacking strength and muscle tone. So our "homework" for this week is to start walking uphill and to do "sit/stand/sit/stand" exercises aka doggie squats. Ha!
@cali~jenn - You're not too far behind! I hope Cutty is recovering well!

Great progress... that seemed to be really fast.

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
When do you go back in to see how it healed? Will they take more X-rays?
I now have a proper answer to this question. Oliver will be X-rayed this Friday (in 2 days) for his 6 week check up. We were told no food or water after midnight. I don't believe it's anesthesia, but sedation. We were told he will be sedated, X-rayed, and then administered a "reversal drug" that takes away the sedation. They said it's only an hour process. I hate the thought of him even being sedated but I do feel an X-ray is important to be sure the implant is in good shape.

Send good vibes that Oliver's 6 week check up goes well. We need them!

As for therapy, we found an area nearby that has two perfect hills - one that is steep and one that isn't. Oliver has been walking up the non-steep hill every night, building muscle in his leg. Go, Oliver!
I want to thank everyone for reading this thread and being supportive throughout Oliver's surgery and recovery. Never having gone through this, it was scary. We hope we never have to go through it again!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Yay for doggie squats!!! So proud of my Ollie Bean!!! we will be at the park in no time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.