Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When do you go back in to see how it healed? Will they take more X-rays?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well I think we have had a slight set back... hubby has been gone all week and last night he took cutty out to potty. Felt bad locking him in our room so he had the bright idea to bring him in the living room with us. Yeah he loved it alright but confused him I think so now he wants out again. :lol: ugh.... Going to be an even longer week I am afraid. Men!
Oliver is doing so good! You r getting there. love having this thread to look at and compare progress. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
When do you go back in to see how it healed? Will they take more X-rays?
Oliver's 6 week check-up is on June 29th. We were told by the doctor that they don't always X-ray; they can usually just feel it. BUT, when making his appointment, the receptionist said they most likely WILL X-ray him so no food and water after midnight the night before. Since his appointment is for 10:30am, I'm sure he is going to be THRILLED about skipping breakfast. Haha!

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - That is the one thing I made sure we were consistent with - no time outside of where he is being confined (our bedroom) except for potty breaks and a few minutes of fresh air. I know Oliver all too well and if he had a taste of freedom in the living room, I'd be in BIG trouble. Haha! Is Cutty bearing any weight on his leg? Oliver's fur is all starting to grow in. It's like peach fuzz. Too funny!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver's 6 week check-up is on June 29th. We were told by the doctor that they don't always X-ray; they can usually just feel it. BUT, when making his appointment, the receptionist said they most likely WILL X-ray him so no food and water after midnight the night before. Since his appointment is for 10:30am, I'm sure he is going to be THRILLED about skipping breakfast. Haha!

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - That is the one thing I made sure we were consistent with - no time outside of where he is being confined (our bedroom) except for potty breaks and a few minutes of fresh air. I know Oliver all too well and if he had a taste of freedom in the living room, I'd be in BIG trouble. Haha! Is Cutty bearing any weight on his leg? Oliver's fur is all starting to grow in. It's like peach fuzz. Too funny!

Yes he walks on it fine, reminds me of when he first hurt it. Lifts his leg when he eats or just stands so I think that will be my tell when he is feeling better. I was being good and not giving in at all and then comes daddy who hasn't had to deal with any of this, just decides, without asking my opinion, to give him a taste of freedom. Ugh... Going to be an even longer week I am afraid. Daddy will be gone all month aside from weekends so he is going to wear me out I think. Between cutty, Mugsy and miila and then of course my toddlers who r 1 and 3, I am beat already. Lol

I haven't gotten a pic of cutty but should before his hair starts coming in. r you getting lots of pics of Oliver? How cute, peach fuzz. Cutty's hair is still short but at least isn't so stubbly. LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I missed this thread when you originally started it!!! I'm so glad the op went well and it sounds as if he is recovering really well!! Keep posting on here ... it is fascinating to read. I am paticularly interested in the physical therapy exercises that they are doing with him!!! :up:

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - Pictures of Oliver? Ugh, I swear when he sees my phone or camera out, he turns the other way. Ha! He's a little camera shy, I guess. I am going to take some more pictures tomorrow of his peach fuzz growing in! Wow, you certainly have your hands full! We don't have kids (just Oliver, our furry kid). In some ways, maybe it's better to have the kids. I tend to focus too much on Oliver. (and by "focus" I mean "spoil") ;)

[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] - Thanks! Oliver has his 2nd physical therapy session tomorrow so hopefully it will go well. The exercises we were given seem to really help him learning it's okay to bear weight now.

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
I can't believe that tomorrow it will be three weeks since Oliver's surgery. We're getting there!
Today was his second physical therapy session and he loved it! He is used to the beeping the cold laser machine makes and he actually started falling asleep during the laser treatment!
Also, our therapist could not believe how much his range of movement has improved in one week and I honestly believe that is due to the exercises she gave us. He is doing great!
The only area we need to work on some more is his "hock" position. Oliver has never sat like a "normal" dog so that position is a little tight for him. She taught me how to stretch him to increase that particular range of motion.
Here are two picture from today:

stretching.jpg
This is Oliver falling asleep during stretching and massage.

balance.jpg
Oliver on the wobble board, practicing balance and weight on the back legs. (this was his first time on it and he wasn't thrilled. Haha!)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
If he gets any better at that wobble board he's going to want you to buy him a skateboard to play on!!

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Oliver is almost 4 weeks out of surgery and he made an interesting break-through yesterday. He has never lifted his leg to pee, just always squatted like a girl. Prior to surgery, the ONLY times Oliver would lift his leg to pee is when walked around our local elementary school. He likes marking his territory there. Well, last night for his 5 minute therapy walk, we took him to the school ground to walk. (school's out and it's completely isolated so no risk of him seeing people/dogs and acting too crazy) While walking, he lifted his LEFT leg to pee, which means he balanced 100% weight on his RIGHT leg, the leg he had surgery on!

I'll admit that it made me nervous but I just kept telling myself that if he couldn't do it, he wouldn't. I emailed his physical therapist and she was so excited. She said it's a great mark of progress for Oliver, especially since he rarely lifted his leg in the first place. It means he has confidence in the strength of that leg. I was worried he might be a little sore today from doing that but the opposite has happened - Oliver wants to RUN! Today was the first day he even tried to run after going to the bathroom out back. Thank goodness for the leash and harness. It's too soon for him to run BUT it made me so happy to see that he wants to do it. (he's so lazy I figured this recovery might just reinforce the laziness. Haha!)

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
So glad to hear about Oliver - keep up the good work buddy :bravo:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Yay for Oliver!!!! 4 weeks, gosh I am jealous!!!! You are almost there!!!!! :D Just took Cuttys staples out earlier today and Dr Kraemer said his leg is healing good. Also he gave me some tranquilizers to help keep him calm when need be, cuz he thinks he is healed up already and making mama anxious. 4 weeks to go.....

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Also he gave me some tranquilizers to help keep him calm when need be, cuz he thinks he is healed up already and making mama anxious. 4 weeks to go.....
We were so fortunate that Oliver didn't act up at all in the beginning. That was something I was worried about. Thank goodness he's lazy. Haha! But, we have noticed in the last two days that he is starting to get a little wild. Give Cutty a HUGE hug from Oliver, his TTA brother! ;)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
We were so fortunate that Oliver didn't act up at all in the beginning. That was something I was worried about. Thank goodness he's lazy. Haha! But, we have noticed in the last two days that he is starting to get a little wild. Give Cutty a HUGE hug from Oliver, his TTA brother! ;)

I wish Cutty was more mellow, he is acting like he has been confined for a bit and needing out, cant imagine why. lmao Trying to get him out the door today with the girls and everything I was in process of turning off the tv and he jumped up on the couch. :eek: He is CRAZY. Think the tranqs will be good for when I have to leave him for a bit. (havent even tried just yet)

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - Yikes, did Cutty hurt himself jumping on the couch? Have you tried the tranquilizers yet? Oliver has definitely been a little rambunctious these past few days. I honestly think it's because the weather here in NJ has been IDEAL bulldog weather. Each time we go out back to the bathroom, I let him lie in the grass while leashed. He just wants to play so badly. I feel awful because he just wants to have fun. His 6 week check up can't come fast enough! The only bright spot each week is his physical therapy sessions. He gets out of the house and gets to see other faces than mine and my husband's. Haha!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.