Oliver's TTA Surgery

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - You'll do just fine - especially since you don't have steps! Remember, they actually walk out the day after surgery! Sure, it's only on 3 legs but they ARE walking (hopping). Hopefully Cutty isn't as stubborn as Oliver.
PS: In your signature photo of your 3 dogs, which one is Cutty? The dog in the center looks a lot like Oliver. ;)

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=2415]AdventuresWithOliver[/MENTION] I would have come over and carried him for you!!! I pick up chunk all the time - especially since he won't jump in the new truck. Though he's capable!! So glad things are going well and the hospital staff was so helpful! We go there June 30th for Chunk's dermatology appt, makes me feel better about taking him somewhere we have never been!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - You'll do just fine - especially since you don't have steps! Remember, they actually walk out the day after surgery! Sure, it's only on 3 legs but they ARE walking (hopping). Hopefully Cutty isn't as stubborn as Oliver.
PS: In your signature photo of your 3 dogs, which one is Cutty? The dog in the center looks a lot like Oliver. ;)

I am on tapatalk right now do can't know for sure but Cutty is the big one and yes seeing your video Oliver looked alot like Cutty. Miila is tiny so Cutty stands out for sure. Not that he is big but you know....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] - I don't know if you could lift Oliver! I think he outweighs Chunk now! The hospital is good but a tad "factory-like" in the sense that they don't have lots of time to shower attention on the dogs. They're friendly and knowledgeable so that's all that matters in the long run. Give Chunk big kisses. Oliver will be back to the hospital for his 6 week check-up the day before Chunk! I just left you a message on FB about meeting up sometime soon. I miss you guys!

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Oliver had his first physical therapy session today. Lisa, our therapist, couldn't believe how great he is doing just shy of two weeks since surgery. He is even starting to put the entire pad of his foot down, which can sometimes take some time. Anyway, he had some gentle Range Of Motion exercises and cold laser therapy. I snapped a picture as the laser therapy began and it's hysterical because he looks petrified. That wasn't because of the laser but because the laser makes a loud beeping sound as it starts. Haha! He got used to it super quickly, especially since it was followed by a complete body massage that almost put him to sleep. We have some gentle exercises to do with Oliver at home and he can now begin taking 5 minute walks in the backyard. (still harnessed and leashed, of course)

6-3-12-first-pt.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This thread was a wonderful and helpful read, keep up the good work. It will help so many in the future!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes I obviously can use this right now. Cutty is already walking on his leg, started last night 26 hours after surgery..... Kinda makes me anxious... Glad to see the progress and how far he has come. ;)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I am also learning lots here. [MENTION=2415]AdventuresWithOliver[/MENTION] - that look on his face....priceless.

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
I'm glad this thread is useful!

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - So great to hear that Cutty is already starting to walk! It is definitely worrisome but remember, they know what they can tolerate. We are officially at two weeks since surgery and while it feels like a lifetime, it really is awesome how far Oliver has come in such a short time. I think we are more traumatized than they are!

Big hugs to Cutty and wishes for a super fast recovery!

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
We are closing in on 3 weeks since surgery and WOW is Oliver testing my patience. He is feeling better, although he's still not bearing 100% weight on his leg. With feeling better and stronger, he is pushing me to my limits by being so stubborn especially when coming back inside after bathroom breaks. He now just flattens himself to the ground and refuses to stand up. I swear, this must be what having a toddler is like. I try to give him a little outdoor time so when he does the whole "you can't move me, I weigh 9,000 pounds and I'm just going to lie here," I stand next to him (he is harnessed and leashed) and I allow him some time to hang out. But when it's time to come inside, he won't budge. I cannot lift him AT ALL so trying to force him to stand up is becoming harder with each outing. Offering him special treats (such as a tiny piece of cheese or turkey - which is VERY special to Oliver) stopped working after two times. He caught on. Ha!

We have an outdoor exercise pen from when he was a puppy so we put that up last night. I figured he could lie in there and I could sit outside with him. Of course that would be too easy and he's afraid of the pen. (Oliver is ridiculously afraid of "new" things, even though he used this pen for months when we first brought him home)

So here is a question (and I don't know if anyone is even still reading this): If your dog is lying down flat on his belly and has a leg that he is still going through recovery from surgery - how do you get him to stand up? I've been sliding my hands under his belly and since he doesn't like that, he SORT OF gets up. Obviously, I don't want to hurt him or his leg but I am at my wit's end when I am home alone and he refuses to move. GRRRRRRR, these bullies are stubborn!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So here is a question (and I don't know if anyone is even still reading this): If your dog is lying down flat on his belly and has a leg that he is still going through recovery from surgery - how do you get him to stand up? I've been sliding my hands under his belly and since he doesn't like that, he SORT OF gets up. Obviously, I don't want to hurt him or his leg but I am at my wit's end when I am home alone and he refuses to move. GRRRRRRR, these bullies are stubborn!

We had to do the same exact thing with Nitschke.... he HATED being carried and if we even showed indication that we were going to lift him... he would immediately get up and go where we wanted him to

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
We had to do the same exact thing with Nitschke.... he HATED being carried and if we even showed indication that we were going to lift him... he would immediately get up and go where we wanted him to

It's a good thing they are so cute, isn't it? I couldn't put up with this stubbornness from a not-cute puppy. Ha!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Well we r done with week 1. Feels like it has been a few Weeks but at the same time it has gone by fast. Cutty is going stir crazy and doesn't understand why I am torturing him by not letting him be part of the pack. Lol

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Congrats on being done with week 1, [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]! For some reason, your first week seems to have gone faster than mine. Haha! We're closing in on week 3 and Oliver is being stubborn, as usual. He wants his freedom so badly.
The good news is that in the last 3 days, he is bearing even more weight. Our physical therapist told us to have one of us walk him and the other one stand back and watch his feet. If he is putting the pads of the TTA leg all the way down, it means he is almost bearing full weight. Oliver is almost there! Each day we notice more of the entire foot going down. Whew! There is a light at the end of this recovery tunnel!

Big, healing hugs to Cutty!

Members online

No members online now.