Oliver's TTA Surgery

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Day 4 since Oliver's surgery and there has been two minor changes that are promising! Firstly, this morning he actually hopped out of the back door. We're still carrying him down the additional 2 steps (we were told on Day 1 he could go down those two steps if we/he felt up to it, but he doesn't seem ready yet) to get to the grass but even deciding to hop out the door allows for a small bit of light at the end of the recovery tunnel.

Secondly, just a few minutes ago, he was hobbling around in our bedroom (this is where he spends most of his confinement as his bed is in there and it's carpeted), he started putting that foot down and applying the tiniest amount of pressure with each hobble. The hospital told us upon discharge that he wouldn't bear weight for 2-3 weeks, yet in so many online stories/experiences I have been reading about dog's starting to put weight by day 5. Every dog is different, of course, so we're excited to see him testing out his leg a little for the first time in the 3 days he's been home.

Our biggest issue right now -and honestly, it's more MY issue- is that he is SO bored. We sit with him off and on, we have all of his "non-action" toys, Nylabones, etc and he wants nothing to do with any of them. I get that he is still mildly sedated from his pain meds, but I just feel badly. Oliver is used to staying active, playing in the backyard, etc - that it just is making me kind of sad to see him mopey. And jeez, we have a long way to go yet.

A smaller issue is that his potty breaks are SO messed up due to his medications. He is on three meds and needs to eat with one of them. The way they are spaced apart, he is eating at odd times and I have to break all of his meals into smaller portions. So, instead of eating twice a day, he is now eating the same amount, only 4 times a day. The antibiotic he is on is making him thirsty so he's drinking more which means more trips to the pee too! This is throwing things off balance so we'll be happy when he finishes all of his meds on Tuesday.

So, that's where we are at 3 days after surgery. Each day I can mark off an "X" on my calendar makes me happy.
PS: I hope these updates aren't annoying but I'd really like to document our progress with the hopes it can help anyone else who might have to go through this.

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Day 5 since surgery was a little rough. Oliver seemed to be extra tired and we think it's because he's been hopping around more. I think it just was wearing him out a bit.

Today (Saturday) is Day 6 and first thing this morning, Oliver hopped out of the back door and for the first time, hopped down the other 2 steps to the backyard! Going up the steps is a different story. He is still being carried as he has total paralysis when we try towel-walking him up. We are hoping he'll get over it through this weekend and just accept the towel as support. He has fallen into a good routine, despite being bored. It was so beautiful last night that we cheated for 15 minutes and after a bathroom break, we let him sit on the back patio (obviously, right next to us, wearing his harness and his leash being held tight - and on a clean outdoor rug) to just soak in some fresh air. He was SO happy to do that.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
How did I miss this!? Glad Oliver's surgery went well and his recovery is going smoothly. What a cute face he has, perfect for kisses. :)

That's what I was thinking. I did have to look up what TTA surgery was though....there's lots of info on the net about this.

Glad Oliver is doing so well!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh wow im glad he is getting much better. thank you for posting your story as it helps others.

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Oliver's recovery is still up and down. He began trying to bear a very small amount weight on his leg the other day and he did put some pressure as he hobbled out to the bathroom. He does it off and on. For example, he might try bearing weight on his first bathroom break but not the next one. Like people, animals know what they can tolerate so we are just trying to be patient with him. He has mastered hopping down our two steps to get out back but still cannot hop up. He refuses to move when a towel is placed under him to try and support him up the steps. We try for a while, sometimes he will allow us. Other times, he is just carried up the steps.

I think the steps (and Oliver's boredom) are our biggest issue in all of this recovery. Thank goodness we only have 2 steps to worry about. This is probably an area where taller dogs have an advantage. It would be much easier for them to hop up steps. Bulldogs, unfortunately, have those stubby legs to deal with.

Oliver's incision looks great and actually, it looked great from Day 1. He never had any swelling or bruising. We did notice a small amount of redness on his FRONT paw, where the IV was. I'm putting Panalog cream on it to see if it's just a minor irritation. If it doesn't go away within a day or two, I'll call the vet.

His stitches come out on Friday (yay!) and on Sunday, Oliver will begin gentle physical therapy. Not only will cold laser and massage help him, I think his spirits will be lifted to get out of the house for that hour and have some human interaction that ISN'T us. It helps that his physical therapist is a friend of ours and Oliver adores her. He is going to be so stoked to see her.

So, we're officially one week since surgery and we're plodding along. (this past week has felt like a LIFETIME. When a bulldog stares at you nonstop, clocks STOP)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yay for the fantastic recovery.

Oh, and with my boys, when they stare at you non-stop, it means that you've missed the mealtime by a millisecond and they're starving. :lol:

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Thanks for all of the well wishes. :)

Here is a small video I took two days ago, as Oliver began bearing the TINIEST amount of weight. He would take two steps and sit. Take two steps, sit...etc.
Oliver's first weight-bearing steps post TTA surgery

Today, he is bearing more weight and taking more and more steps! Progress feels slow but considering we were told 2-3 weeks to start bearing weight and we're just one week and a day out of surgery, we couldn't be happier. So proud of our furry little boy!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Oh my Ollie man!!! So proud of you! We will be running around the park in no time!!! Thanks for sharing everything!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Great account of Oliver's surgery and recovery - you're doing great Oliver! Keep getting better!

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Things are progressing...
For the first time, when coming up our two back steps this morning, Oliver didn't hop up - he actually was bearing some weight on his leg! And while that is so exciting, in typical bulldog fashion, he has now decided he doesn't want to go DOWN the steps...something he has done with ease. He didn't have any falls or scares going down.. he is just being stubborn. It's ridiculous.

Tomorrow his stitches come out!

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Woohoo! Go Oliver! Glad he is progressing so well, even if he is being a stubborn bully.
I'll be really interested to see what he does in physical therapy. Good luck!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my, he is adorable with his little shaved leg. Love the day to day recording you have here, will come in handy when Cutty has his done. No steps for us to go out so that should be a big help. Gawd I am dreading this....

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - I don't know how people with more than a few steps do it. I know for us, it's Oliver's stubbornness that is holding him back right now! Cutty will be okay. It's just a matter of getting through that first week. I think from that point on, it gets easier. I'm interested to see how it goes when Oliver is feeling better (at say, week 5) and wants to play but isn't allowed. THAT'S when I think things might be rough.

Give Cutty some hugs from Oliver and let me know how everything goes.

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Day 10 since surgery is finally here and Oliver had his stitches taken out this morning! I thought he would be afraid to go back to the hospital but he was so happy to be out of the house and around other people! The stitches took literally 1 minute to be removed and then we met with the doctor. They were impressed with how much weight he is putting on his leg and told us to keep doing what we're doing. His incision looks a little like mangled meat without the stitches but that will slowly go away. He goes back at the end of June for his 6 week check-up.

6-1-12-stitches-out.jpg

I have to say going to the hospital today changed my whole outlook on this situation. I have been having a hard time trying to decide if I'm doing the right thing when it comes to this recovery. For example, as hard as the first week was, my husband was on vacation for all of it and he shouldered most of the burden of getting Oliver out to the bathroom. Jimmy went back to work yesterday so Ollie and I were alone for the first time since surgery. Since Oliver recently decided he doesn't like to go down steps, we had a rough day. I can't lift him and he wouldn't go down the steps. Towel walking was a horrible experience as Oliver froze and then tried back out of the towel and yelped a little. I was in tears yesterday, believing I might have re-injured his leg. Those fears diminished when he woke up today and was bearing more weight than ever. THEN, at the hospital, the doctor told me that Oliver can tolerate more than we're doing and to be firm with him. I was shown how to get him to move when he refuses to go down the steps and I tried it as soon as we got home. It worked like a charm and now I have so much more confidence in helping Oliver when he needs it. Never having been through this before with a pet, it is so easy to baby him. I feel much better today about it all.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
That is wonderful news. I know we will always second guess every decision as a mom. But it feels so good when it gets confirmed that you did right. I am anxious too cuz hubby will be gone for the next month aside from weekends so all the care will be on me. No pressure there huh? Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.