Oliver's TTA Surgery

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Whew! We dropped Oliver off at 8am and were told his surgery would be in the early afternoon. Instead, they just called (at 11:am) and said they ended up taking him early. Surgery went well, he did great and was just waking up! He will be on morphine throughout today and tonight. They will call us tomorrow morning at 9 to let us know when we can bring him home. We're SO relieved it all went well. And now, onto recovery! Thank you all for your support!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Whew! We dropped Oliver off at 8am and were told his surgery would be in the early afternoon. Instead, they just called (at 11:am) and said they ended up taking him early. Surgery went well, he did great and was just waking up! He will be on morphine throughout today and tonight. They will call us tomorrow morning at 9 to let us know when we can bring him home. We're SO relieved it all went well. And now, onto recovery! Thank you all for your support!

We knew he would do great! Glad things are well! Keep us posted!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee

Yayyyy to my little buddy!!! <3

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yay for Oliver!! So nice that they snuck him in for surgery before you had a chance to worry too much. ;) Hoping for a good and fast recovery!!!!! :hug:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Thinking of you and Oliver! Keep us posted.

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Well, Oliver is home and sleeping soundly. He wasn't very happy to see us at first. I honestly believe he was angry at us for those first 5 seconds. But then he felt better when we said the key word.."home". He is shaved almost up to his hip, however they left a fur "bootie" around his foot. It's pretty comical. We were told he doesn't HAVE to be crated as long as we keep him confined to a small room, preferably with carpeting. So he is in his usual spot right now, on his nice bed in our bedroom.

They tried feeding him this morning and he refused to eat. He was starving when he got home so I was happy to see him snorffling down some food. We have 3 medications, one being a pain medication that will make him sleepy - which he needs right now. He doesn't seem to be in pain but he does seem very nervous, which I completely understand.

We were surprised that the doctor told us he CAN go down our 2 concrete steps to go out to the bathroom, IF we feel comfortable with him doing so. Otherwise, the doctor said to carry him or sling-walk him out. (we're carrying him for the next 2 days) He can put weight on his leg ONLY to pee or poop - and naturally, must be leashed.

His stitches come out in 10 days, on June 1st.
I was also surprised that we weren't given any exercises to do with Oliver but secretly, I'm relieved. I was worried I would hurt him.

My biggest issue right now is physical therapy. We have opted to do it. The doctor doesn't recommend it until after Oliver's 6 week visit - but the physical therapist said she always begins therapy after CCL in two weeks. I think we will call our own vet to ask for advice.

I'll update as we progress! Pictures below. (He was eating a treat in the first picture. Ha!)

oliver-5-22-12-a.jpgoliver-5-22-12-b.jpg

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Five weeks ago we had some minor work done in one of our spare rooms - just tearing up carpeting and putting down wood floors. For whatever reason, it bothered Oliver and for the 5 weeks since it was done, Oliver has had insomnia. It didn't help that he hasn't been playing at the dog park due to his torn ACL. That release of energy from the park was being saved for night time. He would literally just patrol the house all night. We were excited and held high hopes that after surgery, it would be a great way for Oliver to get back on track with his sleeping, especially knowing he is on a pain med that makes him drowsy. WRONG.

So, yesterday went well. Oliver came home and slept on and off most of the day. We've broken all of his meals into smaller portions throughout the day, as he needs food with his antibiotic. He refused to eat from his bowl or drink from his water bowl. He was too afraid to stand there. So, yesterday I hand fed him and he drank water from a sport bottle. Last night for dinner, we had a break through! He ate and drank from his bowls. And he even pooped. Watching him try to balance and poop was a little scary but my little guy did it like a champ. Ha!

By bed time last night, he began cautiously touching his toes to the ground - but obviously, not bearing any weight. He even began hopping a few steps outside for the bathroom. (At first, my husband had to carry him from "pee spot" to "poop spot") We were excited and as sappy as it sounds, we felt proud. Oliver is so dramatic so the fact he began doing this just 24 hours after surgery is awesome!

And then, bed time. Oliver's insomnia was in FULL SWING despite being on the sleepy pain meds. We were up all night. He didn't understand why there was a baby gate blocking him from patrolling around the house. He finally settled in to sleep at 5am. We are exhausted BUT the progress he is making already makes us smile and brings relief.

Thank you all for your support. :)

OP
AdventuresWithOliver
May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Thank you [MENTION=3735]LaurenA[/MENTION]! I want to squish the dog in your little profile picture. What a CUTIE!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
How did I miss this!? Glad Oliver's surgery went well and his recovery is going smoothly. What a cute face he has, perfect for kisses. :)

Most Reactions