Drool Catcher AdventuresWithOliver's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Oliver's TTA Surgery

Thanks for all of the well wishes.

Here is a small video I took two days ago, as Oliver began bearing the TINIEST amount of weight. He would take two steps and sit. Take two steps, sit...etc.

Today, he is bearing more weight and taking more and more steps! Progress feels slow but considering we were told 2-3 weeks to start bearing weight and we're just one week and a day out of surgery, we couldn't be happier. So proud of our furry little boy!
    Life is always an Adventure with Oliver!
    http://adventureswitholiver.tumblr.com/

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Oh my Ollie man!!! So proud of you! We will be running around the park in no time!!! Thanks for sharing everything!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Great account of Oliver's surgery and recovery - you're doing great Oliver! Keep getting better!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Things are progressing...
    For the first time, when coming up our two back steps this morning, Oliver didn't hop up - he actually was bearing some weight on his leg! And while that is so exciting, in typical bulldog fashion, he has now decided he doesn't want to go DOWN the steps...something he has done with ease. He didn't have any falls or scares going down.. he is just being stubborn. It's ridiculous.

Tomorrow his stitches come out!

Bulldog Vet in Training LaurenA's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rook
    Likes (Received)

Woohoo! Go Oliver! Glad he is progressing so well, even if he is being a stubborn bully.
    I'll be really interested to see what he does in physical therapy. Good luck!!!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Oh my, he is adorable with his little shaved leg. Love the day to day recording you have here, will come in handy when Cutty has his done. No steps for us to go out so that should be a big help. Gawd I am dreading this....

Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

@cali~jenn - I don't know how people with more than a few steps do it. I know for us, it's Oliver's stubbornness that is holding him back right now! Cutty will be okay. It's just a matter of getting through that first week. I think from that point on, it gets easier. I'm interested to see how it goes when Oliver is feeling better (at say, week 5) and wants to play but isn't allowed. THAT'S when I think things might be rough.

Give Cutty some hugs from Oliver and let me know how everything goes.

Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Day 10 since surgery is finally here and Oliver had his stitches taken out this morning! I thought he would be afraid to go back to the hospital but he was so happy to be out of the house and around other people! The stitches took literally 1 minute to be removed and then we met with the doctor. They were impressed with how much weight he is putting on his leg and told us to keep doing what we're doing. His incision looks a little like mangled meat without the stitches but that will slowly go away. He goes back at the end of June for his 6 week check-up.

-6-1-12-stitches-jpg

I have to say going to the hospital today changed my whole outlook on this situation. I have been having a hard time trying to decide if I'm doing the right thing when it comes to this recovery. For example, as hard as the first week was, my husband was on vacation for all of it and he shouldered most of the burden of getting Oliver out to the bathroom. Jimmy went back to work yesterday so Ollie and I were alone for the first time since surgery. Since Oliver recently decided he doesn't like to go down steps, we had a rough day. I can't lift him and he wouldn't go down the steps. Towel walking was a horrible experience as Oliver froze and then tried back out of the towel and yelped a little. I was in tears yesterday, believing I might have re-injured his leg. Those fears diminished when he woke up today and was bearing more weight than ever. THEN, at the hospital, the doctor told me that Oliver can tolerate more than we're doing and to be firm with him. I was shown how to get him to move when he refuses to go down the steps and I tried it as soon as we got home. It worked like a charm and now I have so much more confidence in helping Oliver when he needs it. Never having been through this before with a pet, it is so easy to baby him. I feel much better today about it all.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

That is wonderful news. I know we will always second guess every decision as a mom. But it feels so good when it gets confirmed that you did right. I am anxious too cuz hubby will be gone for the next month aside from weekends so all the care will be on me. No pressure there huh? Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

@cali~jenn - You'll do just fine - especially since you don't have steps! Remember, they actually walk out the day after surgery! Sure, it's only on 3 legs but they ARE walking (hopping). Hopefully Cutty isn't as stubborn as Oliver.
    PS: In your signature photo of your 3 dogs, which one is Cutty? The dog in the center looks a lot like Oliver.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

@AdventuresWithOliver I would have come over and carried him for you!!! I pick up chunk all the time - especially since he won't jump in the new truck. Though he's capable!! So glad things are going well and the hospital staff was so helpful! We go there June 30th for Chunk's dermatology appt, makes me feel better about taking him somewhere we have never been!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AdventuresWithOliver View Post
    @cali~jenn - You'll do just fine - especially since you don't have steps! Remember, they actually walk out the day after surgery! Sure, it's only on 3 legs but they ARE walking (hopping). Hopefully Cutty isn't as stubborn as Oliver.
    PS: In your signature photo of your 3 dogs, which one is Cutty? The dog in the center looks a lot like Oliver.
    I am on tapatalk right now do can't know for sure but Cutty is the big one and yes seeing your video Oliver looked alot like Cutty. Miila is tiny so Cutty stands out for sure. Not that he is big but you know....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Remove Ads