Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Oliver's TTA Surgery

Bulldog Vet in Training LaurenA's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rook
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Oliver's TTA Surgery

I'm glad he made it through surgery and doing well!!!

Drool Catcher AdventuresWithOliver's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Five weeks ago we had some minor work done in one of our spare rooms - just tearing up carpeting and putting down wood floors. For whatever reason, it bothered Oliver and for the 5 weeks since it was done, Oliver has had insomnia. It didn't help that he hasn't been playing at the dog park due to his torn ACL. That release of energy from the park was being saved for night time. He would literally just patrol the house all night. We were excited and held high hopes that after surgery, it would be a great way for Oliver to get back on track with his sleeping, especially knowing he is on a pain med that makes him drowsy. WRONG.

So, yesterday went well. Oliver came home and slept on and off most of the day. We've broken all of his meals into smaller portions throughout the day, as he needs food with his antibiotic. He refused to eat from his bowl or drink from his water bowl. He was too afraid to stand there. So, yesterday I hand fed him and he drank water from a sport bottle. Last night for dinner, we had a break through! He ate and drank from his bowls. And he even pooped. Watching him try to balance and poop was a little scary but my little guy did it like a champ. Ha!

By bed time last night, he began cautiously touching his toes to the ground - but obviously, not bearing any weight. He even began hopping a few steps outside for the bathroom. (At first, my husband had to carry him from "pee spot" to "poop spot") We were excited and as sappy as it sounds, we felt proud. Oliver is so dramatic so the fact he began doing this just 24 hours after surgery is awesome!

And then, bed time. Oliver's insomnia was in FULL SWING despite being on the sleepy pain meds. We were up all night. He didn't understand why there was a baby gate blocking him from patrolling around the house. He finally settled in to sleep at 5am. We are exhausted BUT the progress he is making already makes us smile and brings relief.

Thank you all for your support.
    Life is always an Adventure with Oliver!
    http://adventureswitholiver.tumblr.com/

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rook
    Likes (Received)

Hooray for the little things! Glad he is doing so well. Hopefully the sleeping will get better too!!!

Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Thank you @LaurenA! I want to squish the dog in your little profile picture. What a CUTIE!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rook
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AdventuresWithOliver View Post
    Thank you @LaurenA! I want to squish the dog in your little profile picture. What a CUTIE!
    LOL... I give him lots of squishies on a daily basis, so I'll add some in for you too! (as long as you give Oliver some kisses from me and Rook!)

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

How did I miss this!? Glad Oliver's surgery went well and his recovery is going smoothly. What a cute face he has, perfect for kisses.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Day 4 since Oliver's surgery and there has been two minor changes that are promising! Firstly, this morning he actually hopped out of the back door. We're still carrying him down the additional 2 steps (we were told on Day 1 he could go down those two steps if we/he felt up to it, but he doesn't seem ready yet) to get to the grass but even deciding to hop out the door allows for a small bit of light at the end of the recovery tunnel.

Secondly, just a few minutes ago, he was hobbling around in our bedroom (this is where he spends most of his confinement as his bed is in there and it's carpeted), he started putting that foot down and applying the tiniest amount of pressure with each hobble. The hospital told us upon discharge that he wouldn't bear weight for 2-3 weeks, yet in so many online stories/experiences I have been reading about dog's starting to put weight by day 5. Every dog is different, of course, so we're excited to see him testing out his leg a little for the first time in the 3 days he's been home.

Our biggest issue right now -and honestly, it's more MY issue- is that he is SO bored. We sit with him off and on, we have all of his "non-action" toys, Nylabones, etc and he wants nothing to do with any of them. I get that he is still mildly sedated from his pain meds, but I just feel badly. Oliver is used to staying active, playing in the backyard, etc - that it just is making me kind of sad to see him mopey. And jeez, we have a long way to go yet.

A smaller issue is that his potty breaks are SO messed up due to his medications. He is on three meds and needs to eat with one of them. The way they are spaced apart, he is eating at odd times and I have to break all of his meals into smaller portions. So, instead of eating twice a day, he is now eating the same amount, only 4 times a day. The antibiotic he is on is making him thirsty so he's drinking more which means more trips to the pee too! This is throwing things off balance so we'll be happy when he finishes all of his meds on Tuesday.

So, that's where we are at 3 days after surgery. Each day I can mark off an "X" on my calendar makes me happy.
    PS: I hope these updates aren't annoying but I'd really like to document our progress with the hopes it can help anyone else who might have to go through this.

Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Day 5 since surgery was a little rough. Oliver seemed to be extra tired and we think it's because he's been hopping around more. I think it just was wearing him out a bit.

Today (Saturday) is Day 6 and first thing this morning, Oliver hopped out of the back door and for the first time, hopped down the other 2 steps to the backyard! Going up the steps is a different story. He is still being carried as he has total paralysis when we try towel-walking him up. We are hoping he'll get over it through this weekend and just accept the towel as support. He has fallen into a good routine, despite being bored. It was so beautiful last night that we cheated for 15 minutes and after a bathroom break, we let him sit on the back patio (obviously, right next to us, wearing his harness and his leash being held tight - and on a clean outdoor rug) to just soak in some fresh air. He was SO happy to do that.
    Last edited by AdventuresWithOliver; 05-26-2012 at 12:42 PM.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    How did I miss this!? Glad Oliver's surgery went well and his recovery is going smoothly. What a cute face he has, perfect for kisses.
    That's what I was thinking. I did have to look up what TTA surgery was though....there's lots of info on the net about this.

Glad Oliver is doing so well!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

oh wow im glad he is getting much better. thank you for posting your story as it helps others.

Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Oliver's recovery is still up and down. He began trying to bear a very small amount weight on his leg the other day and he did put some pressure as he hobbled out to the bathroom. He does it off and on. For example, he might try bearing weight on his first bathroom break but not the next one. Like people, animals know what they can tolerate so we are just trying to be patient with him. He has mastered hopping down our two steps to get out back but still cannot hop up. He refuses to move when a towel is placed under him to try and support him up the steps. We try for a while, sometimes he will allow us. Other times, he is just carried up the steps.

I think the steps (and Oliver's boredom) are our biggest issue in all of this recovery. Thank goodness we only have 2 steps to worry about. This is probably an area where taller dogs have an advantage. It would be much easier for them to hop up steps. Bulldogs, unfortunately, have those stubby legs to deal with.

Oliver's incision looks great and actually, it looked great from Day 1. He never had any swelling or bruising. We did notice a small amount of redness on his FRONT paw, where the IV was. I'm putting Panalog cream on it to see if it's just a minor irritation. If it doesn't go away within a day or two, I'll call the vet.

His stitches come out on Friday (yay!) and on Sunday, Oliver will begin gentle physical therapy. Not only will cold laser and massage help him, I think his spirits will be lifted to get out of the house for that hour and have some human interaction that ISN'T us. It helps that his physical therapist is a friend of ours and Oliver adores her. He is going to be so stoked to see her.

So, we're officially one week since surgery and we're plodding along. (this past week has felt like a LIFETIME. When a bulldog stares at you nonstop, clocks STOP)

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yay for the fantastic recovery.

Oh, and with my boys, when they stare at you non-stop, it means that you've missed the mealtime by a millisecond and they're starving.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Remove Ads