Still Has Diarrhea Please Help

TitoGunz

Apr 3, 2012
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hey guys. Im worried about Bentley. He has had soft stool, border line diarrhea, from about the time we switched his food from Royal Canin to Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice puppy kibble three weeks ago. I cut back on his kibble to about 2 cups a day thinking i was over feeding him. Been about three weeks and stool hadnt hardned up so we treated for diarreah. Water for about 24hrs to help "flush" him out. Next day I boiled 1 cup of white rice with two cups of water and 1 chicken breast shredded with about 1/4 cup peas and carrots, and a fresh bowl of bottled water. About an hour later we take him for a walk and he pooped A LOT LESS than usual but also SOFTER than he had been pooping. Is this a good sign or should I be trying something else....? Please help. :begging:
(btw he recieved his rabies vaccine one week ago)

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You probably already answered this before, but have you has his poo checked for parasites?

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Hi - when Oliver was younger he was on Blue Buffalo and also had diarrhea. We were told that Blue Buffalo can sometimes be too rich for a puppy's belly, especially if he has a sensitive stomach. We ended up switching to Nature's Recipe and a grain-free diet. A couple of tablespoons of canned pumpkin (plain - you can find it in the baking aisle at the grocery store) definitely helps bind them up. Sometimes one day of rice and boiled chicken isn't long enough. If the diarrhea is yellow-ish and mucous-like (sorry to be gross), it could be a case of colitis.

BUT, make sure he is checked for parasites also in case it isn't food related.

Also, if you only gave him water for 24 hours, eating anything might still give him diarrhea after being so empty.

cslafferty

Jan 17, 2011
Linden, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola (1/31/11) & Chief (9/18/00-12/30/10)
We've had 2 bullies and both had what the vet described as "soft serve" stool, as its consistency was like soft serve ice cream. We tried multiple puppy foods with both and both cleared up after we started on adult food. I'm assuming the higher fat content in puppy food is too difficult for our bullies unique digestive systems:)

OP
TitoGunz

TitoGunz

Apr 3, 2012
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Ok so first thing is to get him off off the BB and continue the rice and chicken for a few more days. He already has an appt. for the vet on Saturday so will have them check the stool. colitis sounds scary! Hoping not the case :-(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I would also start adding a tablespoon of pumpkin (remember, not the pie filling, pure pumpkin) to his rice and chicken each feeding. Pumpkin is the wonder food, works for constipation and diarrhea

Rupert

Mar 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Rupert
Hey guys. Im worried about Bentley. He has had soft stool, border line diarrhea, from about the time we switched his food from Royal Canin to Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice puppy kibble three weeks ago. I cut back on his kibble to about 2 cups a day thinking i was over feeding him. Been about three weeks and stool hadnt hardned up so we treated for diarreah. Water for about 24hrs to help "flush" him out. Next day I boiled 1 cup of white rice with two cups of water and 1 chicken breast shredded with about 1/4 cup peas and carrots, and a fresh bowl of bottled water. About an hour later we take him for a walk and he pooped A LOT LESS than usual but also SOFTER than he had been pooping. Is this a good sign or should I be trying something else....? Please help. :begging:
(btw he recieved his rabies vaccine one week ago)

Hello. I hope by now it is getting better. Rupert is our 6 month old bulldog. He gets loose stools if he is feed to much and if we give him to many treats. We have switched to only high quality treats and we do feed him blue buffalo dry puppy food. I tried to introduce some canned wet food as a change and treat..and little Rupert had loose stools again.

I would still check with your vet, but try that. I was also told to add canned sweet potato to his food for loose stools too. I did not really see any difference with that.

good luck!

~Kris

OP
TitoGunz

TitoGunz

Apr 3, 2012
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Update. 2nd day on boiled rice and chicken with veggies and he absolutely loves it! He's more playful now and even wants to run when we go outside, lol. So funny. Well he finally pooped and it was firm! Yay!! Thinking maybe his body is absorbing this food better. Anyway, When I cut back his food he seemed a little thin to me. I'm starting to think that maybe he just doesn't do well on the BB. Definitely switching food. Does Fromm get the most votes ??? Lol

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i was wondering how old bentley is might be able to move him to adult food. yea people here love fromm although i have not used it myself. also earthborn grain free is being used by alot of people with good results. i have a boston and 2 cats on it. let us know how its going.

OP
TitoGunz

TitoGunz

Apr 3, 2012
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
He is 17 weeks old. BB just doesnt work for him. I guess it is too rich for him. Just want to be able to give him his kibble without making him sick, :blush2:. I feel like a bad daddy. Maybe the Orijen will be better for him. And I plan on keeping him on boiled rice with cicken mixed with whatever kibble for a while. I love my :bully:.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is 17 weeks old. BB just doesnt work for him. I guess it is too rich for him. Just want to be able to give him his kibble without making him sick, :blush2:. I feel like a bad daddy. Maybe the Orijen will be better for him. And I plan on keeping him on boiled rice with cicken mixed with whatever kibble for a while. I love my :bully:.

Poor Bentley and Daddy.... keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online