Update on Brutus

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Okay where do I begin! Brutus had a invasive surgery at 8 months ... In Feb 2 weeks after his surgery he had 4 seizures in a 5 day span...We went to the hospital and they said due to him having a surgery it could have been caused by anixety or pain (he was very very sore for about 2 weeks) Prolapsed urethra surgery with stiches in his pee pee and he was netuered. :( So they ran some tests and said everything was good just to keep an eye on him and record everything as it happens. Well I am a horrible mom and didnt record the last couple days! He has been fly catching and pacing at times! I took the advice of my friends here and went to the hospital! Brutus had a full neurological work up with blood work everything was negative. They tested for nparasite,thyroid,liver, kidney,glucose and a couple other that I have written down in the blood and it was all good! They have no idea what is causing this! I did tell them that when he was fly catching there were shadows! I know this sounds very strange but he is obessesed with shadows and will sit for hours in the corner watching the shadow and moving his head to follow it! told the doctor about that and he wasnt too concerned (Well I am) Its not normal ???? I dont think! I know some bullies who have had termors and such from being overley excited so I thought there was a connection! Vet doesnt think so .... The vet said we may never know the cause and right now since he isnt experiencing the seizure (grand-mal, petit mal, or focal) we should wait it out! They mentioned a EEG??? They wanted to continue with a MRI/spinal tap but did say that would just tell us if he has a brain tumor...They agreed with [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] saying if that was the case we would know by now based on how he behaves! he eats, poops and drives me crazy! Its a very expensive test and they dont belive thats the cause...its very invasive and It scares me..They didnt give us any meds and would prefer to wait before giving him anything! They want me to record everything time,date, what he was doing and record video for them! I know I missed alot on this thread and I hope it makes sense! I am so tired and so nerous for my Brutus!Any advice is sooooo aprecited!

Has anyone heard of anestia causing long term issues??? They seem to think it could be related somehow but said its very hard to figure out what causes them in dogs!

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Sorry I didnt text you both sooner! I just got home a little bit ago! Dont want to wake you if your sleeping :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh no Roe, I had no idea!! I'm so sorry Brutus and you are going through this. I wish I could help but I know nothing abut this. :hug: :hug:

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
We just finished moving the furniture around so he cannot get into the corner where the shadow is that he is obessed with! I am at a loss and cant stand not knowing what is causing this!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah, Roe.... poor Bru-Bru and Mama. Give him a big hug from me.... I've heard of anesthesia causing issues, but not sure about long term guess I will be doing some research to see what we can find out for you.

If you need ANYTHING... please call me and I will be there or do whatever I can to help you.

:hug:

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh no Roe, I had no idea!! I'm so sorry Brutus and you are going through this. I wish I could help but I know nothing abut this. :hug: :hug:

Ah, Roe.... poor Bru-Bru and Mama. Give him a big hug from me.... I've heard of anesthesia causing issues, but not sure about long term guess I will be doing some research to see what we can find out for you.

If you need ANYTHING... please call me and I will be there or do whatever I can to help you.

:hug:

Thanks Jeannie! I am hoping this just goes away and doesnt ever come back! Vet said its similar to head tremors.

Oh Christine thanks for your text today! SOrry I didnt want to wake you if you were sleeping! Vet mentioned it could have caused them at first but doesnt really think its long term! Im not convinced but I will definatley be reading! I appreciate all your help! I will just keep a very close eye 24/7 to monitor him and record everything for them!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
OMG Roe! I'm so sorry. I wish I had some suggestions for you :(

If there is anything that you need please let me know. Give the big Brut a hug for me please

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] oh my i was so worried i asked christine earlier if she had heard from you and she said she had text you. im so glad they didnt find anything bad but yea i would want to know to. whew now i can go to bed and not worry. big hugs to you dear and dont hesitate if you need anything :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Is he otherwise himself? Like does he recognize you, (main concern) when he is doing this?

My Sarah, bless her, was obsessed with shadows. It drove me nutzo! Now when I look back I think it was her severe allergies that caused this issue, her eyes were always so puffy she probably could not see very well....

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Is he otherwise himself? Like does he recognize you, (main concern) when he is doing this?

My Sarah, bless her, was obsessed with shadows. It drove me nutzo! Now when I look back I think it was her severe allergies that caused this issue, her eyes were always so puffy she probably could not see very well....

Yes he is totally himself when :) Thanks goodness. When I call his name he comes to me. I distract him from it with a toy or something but eventually he gets back to it! Its only if someone sits in a certain spot in our living room! Doesnt do it anywhere else

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Aww Roe..so sorry..I'm just seeing this! Poor Brutus...I can't offer much advice, but we did have a Dobie that had big OCD issues with shadows of overhead lights! Never seizures or anything..lived to be 15! Let's pray it's an overlapping issue with anesthesia and Brutus will be ok.. :hug:

Im thinking Cheryl will know about this test too! [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Wow. I had no idea this was so common. One website from NZ says;
If you search the Internet for phrases such as "canine stereotypy" or "shadow chasing,"or "Canine Compulsive Disorder," you will find many articles on the subject. This should be thought of as a medical condition, so again, your first step should be to see a vet or behaviorist. The earlier the medical intervention, the better the dog's chances of recovering most fully.

Maybe "fixing" that one spot in the living room - in the short term - will help in the long term?

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow. I had no idea this was so common. One website from NZ says;
If you search the Internet for phrases such as "canine stereotypy" or "shadow chasing,"or "Canine Compulsive Disorder," you will find many articles on the subject. This should be thought of as a medical condition, so again, your first step should be to see a vet or behaviorist. The earlier the medical intervention, the better the dog's chances of recovering most fully.

Maybe "fixing" that one spot in the living room - in the short term - will help in the long term?

Last night I read an article from Ceser Milan about shadow chasing ... I hve moved the furniture in the room where he does it so he cannot see the corner anymore!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Last night I read an article from Ceser Milan about shadow chasing ... I hve moved the furniture in the room where he does it so he cannot see the corner anymore!

Did it help [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] ?

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
He tried a couple times to get through the couch but didnt fit :) Its says most dogs chase shadows b.c their bored! Huh He goes for walks plays in the yard and runs around like a crazy man How is he bored???? Hopefully the next couple days go good! I didnt know this shadow thing could escalte if we dont nip in the butt now!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm glad all the tests came back normal.
Vegas had major surgery 2 months or so before he started having seizures. His neurologist never said the anesthesia could have been the problem. Makes me wonder now. I really hope not. OMG! If that was the case, his epilepsy would be all my fault because I elected to do it to him. This is something I need to look into.

Baby O has a vet appt today at 9:50, so I will ask him what he thinks...if it's possible. Vegas doesn't chase shadows...but he chases light. He does it because that's what entertaining to do at that specific time. Dogs have the attention span of a gnat. Just because he has toys and goes for walks...doesn't mean he isn't bored. They look for stuff to do....something that sparks an interest. Orion will chase a leaf or a spider or a grasshopper. She will find a frog and stalk it until it finds a place to hide. She will pounce on a blade of grass that is blowing in the wind. She needs to be stimulated ALL THE TIME. It's very frustrating sometimes. Shadow stalking is just something to do that is entertaining. Hopefully he will figure things out and realize it's not very entertaining.

At this very moment, Orion went from running (speed racer) up and down the stairs, all around the house, up the couch....down the couch, off the couch...to under the cushions!!!!!!!!!!! When Vegas wouldn't chase her, she gave up and has pulled a bone into her kennel.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.