Penny's Hives

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
We woke up to Penny covered with hives. She had a pool party last night & we were outside for about an hour & a half in grass that was cut on Wednesday.

I've given her Benadryl & called the vet. They advised the same for 3-5 days & just to call if it gets worse.

Any other suggestions?? I feel so bad! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337432148.156689.jpg

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Did she swim in the pool? I dunno if the chlorine may irritate her skin. I would give her a bath to wash it off if you haven't. Hope she gets better with the benadryl.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Never dealt with hives personally. The benedryl should help tho, poor thing. :( Is she miserable and itching or does it just look bad?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Did she swim in the pool? I dunno if the chlorine may irritate her skin. I would give her a bath to wash it off if you haven't. Hope she gets better with the benadryl.

I was going to suggest a bath too, not really hot water tho, just Luke warm.

Happy_Pantz

Apr 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertrude, Elmer and Edgar
I have been through this many times with my different bullies... Personally if the breathing is good and as long as the itching isn't crazy benadryl is fine 1 mg per lb of dog. However..... Many times I have had to go to the vet because the hives have spread like wildflowers and the itching became too much so I would go get 2 injections 1-Dexameth Phos and Diphenhydramine ( liquid benadryl) and back up but generally not necessary is Prednisone 5mg.. ( I generally do not give my dogs Prednisone only as a last resort.. Just my personal opinions and what has worked for me. I am not a vet and never claimed to be. Just a 23 yr bully owner veteran. Wendi

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Hi there,

Dublin had a very serious bout of Hives. I will try to post a couple of photos of them. She has horrible seasonal allergies and this year because of the mild winter all sorts of pollens etc have come early and strong. She has breathing issues to make things worse so she ended up very sick. Just keep an eye on her breathing. Dublin is on Benydryll every day and we have to keep her on it. For the hives my Vet ( and she is great) advised Cortaid ( you can use the generic stuff) to put on the hives. Dublin swims in our pool nearly everyday ( we live in Florida) and never has an issue. It is defintitely the grasses and whatever is in the air. Their bellies are so close to the ground and this makes them more suseptible. Keep up the Benydrylll and use the cortaid. Let us know how she is doing.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
That was unclear... She was playing in a kiddie pool we got her, so just water from the hose. Not an actual swimming pool.

She seems ok after the benadryl, a
Cool bath, & a change of bedding. Still the hives, but not as itchy!

Thanks everyone. I am worried about my baby!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] Usko had this about a month ago. It came out of nowhere and cleared in two days. We gave him something like Benadryl and a tablet that is meant for snake bites. We never knew what caused it. In my opinion as long as he is breathing well, you have nothing to worry about.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
She is breathing like normal & seems
Fine otherwise... Her belly is starting to clear up, thankfully! Poor thing! I'd be passed out from the Benadryl alone & she's unphased

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Poor baby is definitely allergic to something. Cassie used to get them bad, her eyes would swell up and she was just miserable so we always had to take her to the vet. After much trial and error it was the laundry detergent that I had just switched to. Had to use a certain kind of hypo-allergenic. Hope it's just a one time thing for your baby.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have been through this many times with my different bullies... Personally if the breathing is good and as long as the itching isn't crazy benadryl is fine 1 mg per lb of dog. However..... Many times I have had to go to the vet because the hives have spread like wildflowers and the itching became too much so I would go get 2 injections 1-Dexameth Phos and Diphenhydramine ( liquid benadryl) and back up but generally not necessary is Prednisone 5mg.. ( I generally do not give my dogs Prednisone only as a last resort.. Just my personal opinions and what has worked for me. I am not a vet and never claimed to be. Just a 23 yr bully owner veteran. Wendi

Exactly --- we go through this with Banks a lot.... Benedryl unless her breathing is impacted then to the vet for anything BUT Pred (no like the prednisone)

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Oliver gets hives on his belly from the grass, usually right in the middle of summer. Our vet has us giving him one Claritin per day, as needed. (he weighs 57 pounds - not sure what the proper dose is per pound) It worked wonders, whereas Benadryl made him vomit. Also, Benadryl Gel works wonders to help with itching! It's very cooling and soothing. Feel better, Penny!

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
We still have hives this morning. :(
Will do Benadryl through today & calling back to the vet tomorrow if not cleared up.

The vet said 1 adult Benadryl 2x a day... I have 25mg ones. She was 47lbs the last time I weighed her a few months ago. Would you give her 50mg? The vet didn't clarify what dosage other than one adult, and I know I've read the dosage is 1mg per pound.

If this were a food reaction, how soon would I see it after switching foods? We've been transition to EB meadow feast for a few weeks now & transitioned over two weeks. I don't think it's that, but just trying to think of everything

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We still have hives this morning. :(
Will do Benadryl through today & calling back to the vet tomorrow if not cleared up.

The vet said 1 adult Benadryl 2x a day... I have 25mg ones. She was 47lbs the last time I weighed her a few months ago. Would you give her 50mg? The vet didn't clarify what dosage other than one adult, and I know I've read the dosage is 1mg per pound.

If this were a food reaction, how soon would I see it after switching foods? We've been transition to EB meadow feast for a few weeks now & transitioned over two weeks. I don't think it's that, but just trying to think of everything

Yes... give her two tablets twice a day. That would explain why you are not seeing any relief.... as you said it is 1mg per pound. My girl is 62lbs and my vet told us we could give her three if necessary but two would do the job. Banks had three extreme hive reactions and we still have no clue what caused them, but it was definitely something outside - tree, spider bite, bee sting... Anyway, if it were the food you would have seen a reaction within a day

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.