Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes if she is close to 50 lbs 1 25mg benedryl won't do much good, give her two. I would think if it were the food it would have come up sooner as well... Unless the food is not doing well for her immune system it could cause a delay.... But with the day outdoors I would think it is environmental or a contact allergy.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
The second Benadryl made a difference. I initially gave her two yesterday & she looked better, but then I hesitated bc the vet said 1. I only did on last night & she was all broke out again this morning. Will keep on two... Hopefully she clears us soon... Is looking pretty good this afternoon!

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
We went to the vet this evening & she gave her a steroid injection and a prescription for prednisone. Hopefully my girl is back to normal soon!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
009.jpg

This happens to Dolly for a couple of weeks on and off every year. I posted this last year. 2 Benadryl and they go away in a hour. Only to return when she hangs out under the same tree. Environmental

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Poor baby. That's what we had to do for Dublin when she was so bad. You will see a difference very quickly. If she hasn't had steroids before you may see a personality difference when she is on them. With Dublin she becomes very aloof and not her usual " be my friend self" and she will want to eat everything in sight... We had to lock the door to the laundry room where the cat food is or she would be in there chomping down. She doesn't touch it when she is not on steroids :-) She will also want to drink and pee a lot.... Good luck :-)

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
[MENTION=4786]Dubbiedog[/MENTION] thanks for the
Heads up about the steroids! She hasn't been on them before. Ive refilled her water bowl twice!

[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] - poor dolly!! Wow

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
A shot and pred both just for hives? I would see if just the shot helps... How long did he say to keep her on the pred?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah gets hives if she comes in contact with something outside or in her food she is allergic to. has penny had an allergy test to see what she is allergic to. might be an idea so you can know what it is outside that is doing this. might try zyrtec to after the prednisone is done. i find it works better than benadryl. might try wiping her down with baby wipes after she comes in from outdoors to see if that helps. for sarah i learned she is allergic to mold from her allergy test so now i have to keep the leaves cleaned up esp if it rains and her hives are almost nonexistant now. i so hope she gets better. i would also hold off on the pred to see if the shot does it. if not then you can use the pred if its bad and only as long as necessary. i only give it to sarah if she is really bad otherwise i use benadryl. i so hope she gets better.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
P7200007.jpg <== Bea's first bout with hives looked like this. She's never had them like this since - thank goodness. The good folks here recommended benedryl and it worked wonders. Of course, it was on a holiday weekend when my vet was closed. I also wiped her down really good and then slathered on Cortaid cream, to sooth any itching/irritation.

The thing about hives is this: if they're on the outside, there's a danger that they're also on the inside. That's why folks keep mentioning breathing in this thread. ANY compromise to breathing should be seen IMMEDIATELY by a vet.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I see we are all on the same page when it comes to the pred. I take Dubbie off of it as soon as I can. Important though once you start that you "wean" off of it and not suddenly stop it. It is a life saver when it comes to the worset bouts of hives but nothing I would want to use long term. The Cortaid cream works wonders for soothing and taking down the redness. Dublin had them in her mouth and down her throat and that was the real dangerous part. It was scary and then she really needed the pred. My vet has not brought up Zyrtec and I use Benydryll but Zyrtec sounds better to me for daily usage...

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks for the feedback on the prednisone. My husband have her the oral tab this morning because she still had some small hives. She is still a little bumpy, but someone might not notice unless I point it out. She is on a tapering dose. The vet said her respiratory track sounded good & I haven't observed anything to make me think otherwise. I'm just ready to be on the other side of this & hope it was a fluke insect bite or something so that we aren't dealing with it frequently. Our vet said "it's that time of year!"

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
So glad to hear it is all working out and she is on a tapering dose of pred. A life safer when needed but good that she is coming off. We have had only one horrible bout of hives but have to be forever vigiliant with our bullies :-) They come up so quick too. I never miss her doses of Benydryl. Do try the Cortaid even when she might get some belly irritation. It works very well.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online