Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Penny's Hives

I see we are all on the same page when it comes to the pred. I take Dubbie off of it as soon as I can. Important though once you start that you "wean" off of it and not suddenly stop it. It is a life saver when it comes to the worset bouts of hives but nothing I would want to use long term. The Cortaid cream works wonders for soothing and taking down the redness. Dublin had them in her mouth and down her throat and that was the real dangerous part. It was scary and then she really needed the pred. My vet has not brought up Zyrtec and I use Benydryll but Zyrtec sounds better to me for daily usage...

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the feedback on the prednisone. My husband have her the oral tab this morning because she still had some small hives. She is still a little bumpy, but someone might not notice unless I point it out. She is on a tapering dose. The vet said her respiratory track sounded good & I haven't observed anything to make me think otherwise. I'm just ready to be on the other side of this & hope it was a fluke insect bite or something so that we aren't dealing with it frequently. Our vet said "it's that time of year!"

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lacey
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Silva and Stella
    Likes (Received)

Stella is the same way! We use benadryl and a bath!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Anonymous

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

So glad to hear it is all working out and she is on a tapering dose of pred. A life safer when needed but good that she is coming off. We have had only one horrible bout of hives but have to be forever vigiliant with our bullies :-) They come up so quick too. I never miss her doses of Benydryl. Do try the Cortaid even when she might get some belly irritation. It works very well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads