Thread: Penny's Hives

Drool Catcher AdventuresWithOliver's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Penny's Hives

Oliver gets hives on his belly from the grass, usually right in the middle of summer. Our vet has us giving him one Claritin per day, as needed. (he weighs 57 pounds - not sure what the proper dose is per pound) It worked wonders, whereas Benadryl made him vomit. Also, Benadryl Gel works wonders to help with itching! It's very cooling and soothing. Feel better, Penny!
    Life is always an Adventure with Oliver!
    http://adventureswitholiver.tumblr.com/

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

We still have hives this morning.
    Will do Benadryl through today & calling back to the vet tomorrow if not cleared up.

The vet said 1 adult Benadryl 2x a day... I have 25mg ones. She was 47lbs the last time I weighed her a few months ago. Would you give her 50mg? The vet didn't clarify what dosage other than one adult, and I know I've read the dosage is 1mg per pound.

If this were a food reaction, how soon would I see it after switching foods? We've been transition to EB meadow feast for a few weeks now & transitioned over two weeks. I don't think it's that, but just trying to think of everything

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MissPennyLue View Post
    We still have hives this morning.
    Will do Benadryl through today & calling back to the vet tomorrow if not cleared up.

The vet said 1 adult Benadryl 2x a day... I have 25mg ones. She was 47lbs the last time I weighed her a few months ago. Would you give her 50mg? The vet didn't clarify what dosage other than one adult, and I know I've read the dosage is 1mg per pound.

If this were a food reaction, how soon would I see it after switching foods? We've been transition to EB meadow feast for a few weeks now & transitioned over two weeks. I don't think it's that, but just trying to think of everything
    Yes... give her two tablets twice a day. That would explain why you are not seeing any relief.... as you said it is 1mg per pound. My girl is 62lbs and my vet told us we could give her three if necessary but two would do the job. Banks had three extreme hive reactions and we still have no clue what caused them, but it was definitely something outside - tree, spider bite, bee sting... Anyway, if it were the food you would have seen a reaction within a day
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Yes if she is close to 50 lbs 1 25mg benedryl won't do much good, give her two. I would think if it were the food it would have come up sooner as well... Unless the food is not doing well for her immune system it could cause a delay.... But with the day outdoors I would think it is environmental or a contact allergy.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

The second Benadryl made a difference. I initially gave her two yesterday & she looked better, but then I hesitated bc the vet said 1. I only did on last night & she was all broke out again this morning. Will keep on two... Hopefully she clears us soon... Is looking pretty good this afternoon!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

We went to the vet this evening & she gave her a steroid injection and a prescription for prednisone. Hopefully my girl is back to normal soon!

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

-009-jpg

This happens to Dolly for a couple of weeks on and off every year. I posted this last year. 2 Benadryl and they go away in a hour. Only to return when she hangs out under the same tree. Environmental
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Poor baby. That's what we had to do for Dublin when she was so bad. You will see a difference very quickly. If she hasn't had steroids before you may see a personality difference when she is on them. With Dublin she becomes very aloof and not her usual " be my friend self" and she will want to eat everything in sight... We had to lock the door to the laundry room where the cat food is or she would be in there chomping down. She doesn't touch it when she is not on steroids :-) She will also want to drink and pee a lot.... Good luck :-)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

@Dubbiedog thanks for the
    Heads up about the steroids! She hasn't been on them before. Ive refilled her water bowl twice!

@Sherry - poor dolly!! Wow

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

A shot and pred both just for hives? I would see if just the shot helps... How long did he say to keep her on the pred?

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

sarah gets hives if she comes in contact with something outside or in her food she is allergic to. has penny had an allergy test to see what she is allergic to. might be an idea so you can know what it is outside that is doing this. might try zyrtec to after the prednisone is done. i find it works better than benadryl. might try wiping her down with baby wipes after she comes in from outdoors to see if that helps. for sarah i learned she is allergic to mold from her allergy test so now i have to keep the leaves cleaned up esp if it rains and her hives are almost nonexistant now. i so hope she gets better. i would also hold off on the pred to see if the shot does it. if not then you can use the pred if its bad and only as long as necessary. i only give it to sarah if she is really bad otherwise i use benadryl. i so hope she gets better.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

-p7200007-jpg <== Bea's first bout with hives looked like this. She's never had them like this since - thank goodness. The good folks here recommended benedryl and it worked wonders. Of course, it was on a holiday weekend when my vet was closed. I also wiped her down really good and then slathered on Cortaid cream, to sooth any itching/irritation.

The thing about hives is this: if they're on the outside, there's a danger that they're also on the inside. That's why folks keep mentioning breathing in this thread. ANY compromise to breathing should be seen IMMEDIATELY by a vet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads