Herschel not drinking.... help!

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Herschel is avoiding his water dish like the plague. His appetite is good, still sleepy but goes out and pees etc and acts almost normal... even does his kicking after. Stitches look good. Only redness seems to be irritation from being shaved in the surgery area and legs where he had iv etc. Any suggestions on convincing him to drink?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
How about giving him ice cubes?? It's important he hydrate himself..especially after surgery..but maybe he's just not himself yet. See if he will drink a little at a time...

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
haha Great minds Becky! Was thiking the ice cubes too. Maybe even getting some pedialyte in him or adding some in with his water?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If you have a syringe you can use it, likely he will drink from it and enjoy being babied at the same time.

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
He has taken a few drinks now on his own. Just not with the gusto he usually does. I'm probably being an over protective mommy but I cant help it.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
He has taken a few drinks now on his own. Just not with the gusto he usually does. I'm probably being an over protective mommy but I cant help it.

Have you tried some juice or gatorade? I give Abby unsweetened apple juice when I need to get more fluids in her

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How is Herschel.... drinking normal?

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
I wouldn't say normal, but he is drinking on his own now. I think the ice cubes in his water interested him lol. He isn't drinking as much as usual but he isn't nearly as active. He is acting much better tonight... just can tell he is a little uncomfortable. I wouldn't say in pain, it's just that his skin is irritated where they had to shave him. He was playing with his new stuffed gator a bit while laying down... it's one he actually has figured out how to squeak and that amuses him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I wouldn't say normal, but he is drinking on his own now. I think the ice cubes in his water interested him lol. He isn't drinking as much as usual but he isn't nearly as active. He is acting much better tonight... just can tell he is a little uncomfortable. I wouldn't say in pain, it's just that his skin is irritated where they had to shave him. He was playing with his new stuffed gator a bit while laying down... it's one he actually has figured out how to squeak and that amuses him.

Could just still be 'out of it' from the procedure..... hopefully, he'll get back to his ole self tomorrow

OP
Danielle

Danielle

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Well, he is feeling well enough now to push the cats away from me again which is something he hasn't done all day. Things are definitely getting back to normal with him doing that.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Another thing to do is turn on the hose if you have one. Bea and Bo will drink out of the hose ANYTIME. It is as if the water tastes better outside or something...?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.