Herschel not drinking.... help!

Danielle

New member
Joined
May 2, 2012
Messages
422
Reaction score
19
Location
Quincy, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel and Fiona
Herschel is avoiding his water dish like the plague. His appetite is good, still sleepy but goes out and pees etc and acts almost normal... even does his kicking after. Stitches look good. Only redness seems to be irritation from being shaved in the surgery area and legs where he had iv etc. Any suggestions on convincing him to drink?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
 
How about giving him ice cubes?? It's important he hydrate himself..especially after surgery..but maybe he's just not himself yet. See if he will drink a little at a time...
 
haha Great minds Becky! Was thiking the ice cubes too. Maybe even getting some pedialyte in him or adding some in with his water?
 
If you have a syringe you can use it, likely he will drink from it and enjoy being babied at the same time.
 
He has taken a few drinks now on his own. Just not with the gusto he usually does. I'm probably being an over protective mommy but I cant help it.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
 
He has taken a few drinks now on his own. Just not with the gusto he usually does. I'm probably being an over protective mommy but I cant help it.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Have you tried some juice or gatorade? I give Abby unsweetened apple juice when I need to get more fluids in her
 
He has taken a few drinks now on his own. Just not with the gusto he usually does. I'm probably being an over protective mommy but I cant help it.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

How is Herschel.... drinking normal?
 
I wouldn't say normal, but he is drinking on his own now. I think the ice cubes in his water interested him lol. He isn't drinking as much as usual but he isn't nearly as active. He is acting much better tonight... just can tell he is a little uncomfortable. I wouldn't say in pain, it's just that his skin is irritated where they had to shave him. He was playing with his new stuffed gator a bit while laying down... it's one he actually has figured out how to squeak and that amuses him.
 
I wouldn't say normal, but he is drinking on his own now. I think the ice cubes in his water interested him lol. He isn't drinking as much as usual but he isn't nearly as active. He is acting much better tonight... just can tell he is a little uncomfortable. I wouldn't say in pain, it's just that his skin is irritated where they had to shave him. He was playing with his new stuffed gator a bit while laying down... it's one he actually has figured out how to squeak and that amuses him.

Could just still be 'out of it' from the procedure..... hopefully, he'll get back to his ole self tomorrow
 
Well, he is feeling well enough now to push the cats away from me again which is something he hasn't done all day. Things are definitely getting back to normal with him doing that.
 
Another thing to do is turn on the hose if you have one. Bea and Bo will drink out of the hose ANYTIME. It is as if the water tastes better outside or something...?
 
Another thing to do is turn on the hose if you have one. Bea and Bo will drink out of the hose ANYTIME. It is as if the water tastes better outside or something...?

That is a great idea too. I will test that a little later.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top