Ear Infection, what can I do?? Help!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
This week has been strange, Vegas's face has been EXTRA smelly, I have washed his face every night with solution from out vet. About half hour ago, he jumped up to sit with me on the couch and I said "wow, you stink bad!" (I just washed his face last night). I went to scratch his ear and....:eek: his ear was wet!! I lifted his ear and looked and it is so red and so smelly and gunk coming out of it!!!!!

HOW did I miss this??? Not once have I seen him rub or even itch his ear!!! Of course I called our Vet and they are closed. I am so hoping I can get him in first thing in the morning!! Until then, I took him outside and did a good flush with the flush from our vet. I massaged it in real good to loosen things up. I am going to wait a bit and clean it out real good and I did find some Otomax from before just a few drops left.

I feel sooooo bad!!! I don't know how in the world I missed this!!!! Any suggestions as to what I can do to make him more comfortable for tonight??? He isn't acting any different, not even rubbing his ear. He is eating and drinking as normal. I am feeling pretty crappy right now for missing this.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Poor baby! Don't feel bad Kelly, it happens. Can't know there is something wrong until you see it! You did everything I would, clean the ear and if I had any ear drops from last time leftover I'd use them because I'm sure that's what the vet will prescribe, an antibiotic and otomax (well thats what they always prescribed for Samson).

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh Kelly! I would let your flush work! You can use witch hazel soaked on gauze pad..wrap around your finger and just clean gunk out...just keep repeating until gunk is gone..it won't hurt and my dogs love it..I usually reach deep ino his ears..but Vegas might be sensitive...it's a great way to clean ears.. :hug: He will be fine..don't be so hard on yourself! He is eating and acting normal. These can come up very fast!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ruggles gets repeated ear infections also and he hates the flushing and the medicine. We just got a new medicine called POSTATEX that worked well and it is once a day instead of twice. The drawback is it says to give him 8 drops, yeah, like I can't see the drops much less count them! I'm sorry Vegas has an ear infection. He probably has been hiding it from you!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Don't feel bad. I found a wrinkle right between Wilsons eyes and it was infected!!!! I don't know how I missed it either. I guess I concentrated on his under the eyes wrinkles and chin but I failed to lift that itty bitty part and of course there it was smelly and oozy. Well Wilson doesn't like me right now cuz I've been cleaning it a lot to get it back under control and putting a little Zymox with a Q-Tip. This is when I wish I had two extra arms to hold him steady or it's like trying to hold a very strong ungreased pig.:bully:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think I would have done exactly what you would have done. We've had ear infections here that have gone completely unnoticed because there has been no signs ... so don't bear yourself up about it!!! :hug:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No more advice to give the otomax is all I know besides a prescription. Believe me we all have this stuff happen and guilt is the common feeling, whether it be skin or fur babies. Lord knows I have been a bad mama myself lately so dont be too tough on yourself. He will be ok. Those drops should help him feel better I would think. :hug:!!!! Kisses to Vegas too, poor thing. He just wanted some extra snuggles from you and found a way to get them. ;)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if you have any mal-a-ket wipes you can use those to wipe out the ear and even squeeze the liquid into his ear. its what i use on sarah when she has yeast or an infection. or the ear drops you have will work but if you need something else. dont worry ive missed stuff on sarah before it happens.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
if he has infection and you have to use ab ,when its cleared try making up a pot of extra virgin olive oil with lavender oil in it and use it weekly ,leave it in for half hour then wipe the ear with colloidal silver ,works a treat for annie,karen

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We just got back from the vet, Vegas has a very bad yeast infection in his ear. We got some Otibiotic which contains antibiotic and steroid for his ear, other than that I have to flush his ear every day for 2 weeks. Vet said other than ear Vegas looks great, (but I already knew that! lol) :heart:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
....It's yeast growing in the ear of a stubborn bulldog. It can happen overnight. I don't think you missed anything. You noticed it fairly quickly. VegasR is the same way. The ONLY reason I knew to check his ear was because Becky said she saw him itching it. Sure enough....his ear was infected with yeast. Bulldogs aren't complainers. They have high pain tolerance. Luckily he was stinky...his way of telling you something was wrong.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i clean sarahs ear with mal-a-ket wipes to keep it yeast and bacteria free. just a thought after you get done with his treatment. i hope he gets better soon.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
My advice? Good old raw apple cider vinegar :D It's great for yeast infections and since Abbyhead can't take medicine, it's what I use.

50/50 solution of vinegar and water. Wipe the ear out twice a day until the infection is gone. You should also add it to his water. It changes the pH in the body just enough so yeast can't grow.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We just got back from the vet, Vegas has a very bad yeast infection in his ear. We got some Otibiotic which contains antibiotic and steroid for his ear, other than that I have to flush his ear every day for 2 weeks. Vet said other than ear Vegas looks great, (but I already knew that! lol) :heart:

Poor boy.... OUCH Give him a big hug from me --

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.