Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi All

Bongo is due for his 16weeks shots there are 2 trains of thought get them done. Or the other option my vet has is test him to see if his 2nd shot were effective and doesn't need a 3rd set of shots. there is a belief that you shoudn't because it could weaken their immunity.
I would like to get your thought on this and what you've done for your pups.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hhmm... never thought not to get them, but I think I'll research to see what the pros/cons are

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Frank,

I'll be coming up to that point soon so will be interested as well in any feedback you receive.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Since I give my own shots what I do is give them over a span of a week, early in the morning just in case of an allergic reaction. So in other words, I do parvovirus one Monday, and the following Monday I do distemper combo. I do this because then it is not too much to process in the body at one time.

My thoughts are to protect the pup completely, and do all 4 rounds of shots. I would never ever risk it, and having more than needed is better than having less. Just my opinion.

Nadiel

May 10, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Bulldog(s) Names
Booker
If you want to take the guesswork out of it have your vet do a titer test.... the bloodwork will tell you if that shot is needed.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
in my opinion definatly NOT my dog now has allergies due to vaccination damage and that was after 2 lots,i will never do vacs again its just not worth the risk,karen

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Here you really have no choice whether or not to do vaccines at all! I live in an area that interfaces with the national forest. We have every critter that lives there in and around our yard. Many of these carry deadly diseases and I would never risk my pets lives. I am always hesitant as to when is enough and I spaced them out as far as we could and made sure the first rabies shot was only the 12 month protection as its a lower dose. This is but the first of tough decisions you will face!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
this read is food for thought when vaccinating a dog,i know here in the uk we have nowhere near as manywild animals as yous in the us so its probably an easier call,karen

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
If you want to take the guesswork out of it have your vet do a titer test.... the bloodwork will tell you if that shot is needed.

Im getting the titre test and the best thing about it is it will show what he's protected for 100% and what he may need another shot for instead of just blankly giving them all when they might not be needed. Also Dr. Maya will put the cost of the test towards and shot it shows he may need if any she awesome and a great vet for bully breeds.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I've been watching this thread with interest. I didn't know there was a choice. My pups got all their shots. I wish I'd known otherwise, as I may have made a different decision. Oh well. It's done now!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Rabies shots are mandatory here, unless your pet is sick then you can get a waiver. (insert standard disclaimer about Abby being a special case) The new vet told me not to give her ANY new shots except maybe Parvo.

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Rabies shots are mandatory here, unless your pet is sick then you can get a waiver. (insert standard disclaimer about Abby being a special case) The new vet told me not to give her ANY new shots except maybe Parvo.

Rabies are mandatory here as well and Bongo has gotten that already. I will post the results of the test and let you know how effective the 2nd set of shots are.

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
I've been watching this thread with interest. I didn't know there was a choice. My pups got all their shots. I wish I'd known otherwise, as I may have made a different decision. Oh well. It's done now!

Hi,

We got the results back today from the titre test and and awesome news Bongo does not need to get his 16 week shots! The test showed that he was fully protected after his 12week shots. Awesome test now I won't over immunise him and possibly agrivate his immune system and cause problems with unnesisary vaccinations.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Hi,

We got the results back today from the titre test and and awesome news Bongo does not need to get his 16 week shots! The test showed that he was fully protected after his 12week shots. Awesome test now I won't over immunise him and possibly agrivate his immune system and cause problems with unnesisary vaccinations.
excellent news,people really dont know how vaccinations cripple the immune system ,i asked for the titre test here in the uk and out of i think its 6 they only test for 4 !!!,whats the point?,but no more vacs for my dog,im trying to correct the damage with bovine collostrum.vit c and thuja ,but as for your pup im well pleased for both of you,karen

Most Reactions