Zymox or Hydroxyzine Side Effects???

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Ok I know I'm probably being paranoid, but do any of you know about side effects from Zymox Ear solution or Hydroxyzine? It was Friday when I started Zymox solution and the Hydroxyzine. I've been using the hydroxyzine here and there when Bruin seemed to go crazy from itching, but its been since Friday that i've been giving one every 12 hours

I came home today and Bruin was panting. It wasn't hot..only 70 degrees and he wasn't in the sun. The only time he ends up panting is when he sits in the sun or it's wicked hot out. They weren't rough housing, b/c they were in their 5x4 pen and toys were where i left them in he morning. I let them out and I was paranoid at this point and thought that his stomach was bulged. He went right out and pooped. Most of the time I have to push him out the door, but this time he practically pushed Lilly out of the way.
Do you think its a side effect or maybe it was that he was hot. I thought it was hotter here Saturday and Sunday, but today was a little humid....i don't know

he's been sleeping since for the most part. which is kinda normal, but its a really deep sleep, like the sleep that he goes into when he's down for the night.

what do you think?

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Were his poops diarrhea? When Gio was sick he had diarrhea for a couple of days, and every time he was about to go he would start panting a lot. He might just have an upset tummy?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hmm. I wouldn't think Zymox (it's the ear solution, right?) would cause diarrhea, but the Hydroxynine may. Was that prescribed by your vet? If you have a suspicion that may have caused the discomfort, I'd stop it for now and call the vet.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Hmm. I wouldn't think Zymox (it's the ear solution, right?) would cause diarrhea, but the Hydroxynine may. Was that prescribed by your vet? If you have a suspicion that may have caused the discomfort, I'd stop it for now and call the vet.

It wasn't diarrhea....more like solid soft poops. When we went to the vet on Friday for the ear infection she prescribed more of the Hydroxyzine. I had some left over from another bout of ear infection and only gave it to him if he was freaking out by scratching and licking paws. It seems to help so she thought to put him on that for 2 weeks once every 12 hours...just while he has this ear thingy. She didn't prescribe antibiotics, just the zymox. I wasn't sure if the zymox might have an effect, just b/c the ears are connected to the throat and maybe some made it all the way down there and he swallowed some. He seemed to be better later on at night and this morning he seemed his usual. He must have just had a tummy ache :(

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would not think something put in the ear would cause that but maybe swallowed it or some phlem. maybe the hydroxyzine for some reason but i would not think either would cause tummy trouble. might be upset from being sick from the ear infection. i know when im sick i sometimes have those kinda troubles. lets hope he gets better soon and you can keep giving the medication.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
The Zymox really brought the swelling in the ears down and is really doing a great job breaking up the wax. The vet told me to give him 6-8 drops once a day. The 6-8 drops I don't quite understand b/c its like a gel, so I kinda try to get a dime size glob in his ear. He's sooo awful to put any liquid in his ears. If I'm coming at him with wipes or cottons balls its ok, but if he sees a container in my hand, he knows to run! He runs under the coffee table and whatever way I try to move it, he moves with it. :cursing: Little stinker!

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
OMG I'm an idiot!! I totally forgot about the Grass & Weed Mix Homeopathic spray. Starting Saturday morning when I was giving them a fresh bowl of water, only in the morning, not when I would change it out at night, I would put 3 sprays in it. Maybe that upset him! I'm afraid to use it now.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Just be aware that hydroxyzine has sedative properties which may be why Bruin had such a deep sleep. Also, it can be constipating so i'm wondering if he ran out the door to poo b/c he didn't go for awhile? Hope the little guy is feeling better.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah will pant and be hot if i give her something that does not agree with her or it could have just been from being outside. you can always leave out the grass and weed stuff and give the meds and see what happens. if he is ok after that then add the grass and weed stuff back in and see what happens. if the hot and panting returns then you can give a benadryl or two to stop it. just stop things and then add them back in to see whats doing it. hope things get better.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Just be aware that hydroxyzine has sedative properties which may be why Bruin had such a deep sleep. Also, it can be constipating so i'm wondering if he ran out the door to poo b/c he didn't go for awhile? Hope the little guy is feeling better.

He went :poo: that morning, so it couldn't have been b/c he was constipated. Unless he didn't get it all out :)

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] I did stop with the grass & weed mix, I didn't put any in this morning. Maybe i'll add it in after we're done with the hydroxyzine. I know it causes it drowsiness, but he's been on it before and i've never seen him in that deep of a sleep on it at that time of day.....it was probably the combination of the meds and tummy problems :( poor bru bru He seemed good this morning, so i'm anxious to get home and see him...oh to see Lilly and the bf too, i guess :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.