Skin issues!

kels16

Aug 24, 2011
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
We have had Harley almost a year now! Crazy it's gone by so fast. I've made posts about his neck before where the vet thought water was getting trapped because he has such an excess of skin on his neck, well I didn't think that was the case, so I took him to a different vet. That one said he has allergies and put him on 2 mediciations (can't remember them off the top of my head) this was back in January. While he was on those meds it cleared right up and he wasn't as stinky! But soon after it all came back. Sometimes it will get bad, then better, and just keeps going back and forth. I feel bad for the poor guy, he's lost the fur where it's irritated and he tries to scratch it so I try and stop him as often as I can, it has yellowish scabs and it smells kind of like metal. Has anyone had this issue?! He also has red spots on his stomach and one of his legs. I was going to try the hot spot spray but I'm afraid it will hurt it more. :confused:

OP
kels16

kels16

Aug 24, 2011
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
OH, and we also have to give him a bath about once a week because he starts smelling again! How often should they get baths? I don't think he should start stinking again so soon

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I'm no expert, but since our vet gave us malaseb shampoo we've noticed that Jackson is a lot less itchy. We also noticed that his hair is growing back...he had little dark spots with missing hair (the vet said it was some type of bacterial infection) and with antibiotics and the Malaseb there's no new bald spots (alopecia) and the hair is growing back in. Maybe you should get the medicated shampoo a try. We also bathe him once a week, but sometimes stretch it out to 1-1/2 wks. Anything longer than that and he starts to smell a little doggish and I don't like my house smelling like a dog.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Sorry to hear Harley has the itchies...I noticed your in Ohio (us, too)..... Pollen counts are very high right now.... From your description I'm thinking Harley might have a yeast issue which could be started because of allergies....yeast is yellowy to brownish and it smells... I never thought it was metallic but more like corn chips or funky mildewy gym socks...we have a great vet dermatologist in Ohio ...pm me if you'd like her information....one thing that helps my Schultz is that I wipe him down with a clean damp microfiber cloth every time we come in from outside to get the pollen off his face, body, and feet....hope Harley feels better soon

OP
kels16

kels16

Aug 24, 2011
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Our vet gave us sebolux which is a medicated shampoo and we've been using that, it helps but then it comes back

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
What are you feeding him? Washing and meds are just dealing with the symptoms, not the cause. Even if you're feeding him good quality kibble it may not be the right one for him. And for real...dogs don't have to smell at all.

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
What are you feeding him? Washing and meds are just dealing with the symptoms, not the cause. Even if you're feeding him good quality kibble it may not be the right one for him. And for real...dogs don't have to smell at all.

It's all about the food! HRH came to us eating Bil Jac and smelled like a dirty dog within a week of her bath. She didn't have any issues with sores, but some dogs do and it's directly related to food allergies. The Malaseb shampoo will help, but please check out the food rating list http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings and pick something in the 5 or 6 star category that is grain free and switch over slowly. You will be amazed at the difference once he has been on good food for a few weeks.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like yeast and hot spots likely from allergies. Medicated shampoo (I use phamaseb) will help, but most allergies can also be tamed with a good diet. Bathing too often strips of natural oils, but I would stick with 1x a week, maybe even 2x with medicated shampoo to get under control, then decrease to at least once every two weeks if you can.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
These knowledgeable folks are right; FOOD will go a long way toward solving Harley's issues. Dogs don't have to stink - what a revelation, right? (Hugs [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]) BUT SO TRUE! It hurts to think about all the dogs over the years who have been banished to backyard dog houses because of something they had NO control over; their food! :cry:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
On the profile I see you are feeding Earthborn Coastal Catch, this is a good food... But sounds like you are currently battling a yeast or bacteria issue... Could be environmental allergy or an ingredient in the food causing your troubles.....

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
have you thought about getting him allergy tested. it did alot for me with sarah when i could not figure out what was causing all of her yeast and stuff. she is now on the road to recovery and i rarely have to give her benadryl or anything for allergies now. just a thought as [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] has given you good advice about the food and such. it nice to know exactly what your bully is allergic to so you can get rid of those things or change foods. there is a thread in this section about getting your bully tested for 35 english pounds. might be worth a look. i had sarah blood tested at the vets. good luck

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Definitely change his food, even though it may be a good food, it may not be the right one for him. We have 5 bullies at home and are feeding 3 different foods. Buddy and BeBe on one, Jewel and Lucy on another and Blondie on a different one. You have to find the one that's right for your boy, or get an allergy test done and find a food that has ingredients he is not allergic too.

OP
kels16

kels16

Aug 24, 2011
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Thanks guys! We changed the earthborn a couple months ago (I haven't been on here in a while) He is now on nature's recipe. I've though about getting him an allergy test but I heard they were really expensive, does anyone know? And, [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] I've wondered if it could be something outside, I was brushing him in the grass the other day and he didn't want to sit still (which isn't normal, he likes getting brushed) so I didn't know if it was bugs getting to him or what but he's also broken out on his stomach. Maybe we'll have to look at other foods. When we got him from his owners he did have a yeast infection but this doesnt look like what he had so i'm not sure

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Little dots - like hives, perhaps? Little raised, red dots?

Bo gets those when he spends any extended time in the grass. Wipe downs (babywipes) and benedryl - if necessary only - is how I manage that one. The both get wiped down at the door, coming back in.

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Our first bulldog, Winnie, had severe skin allergies which caused her to lose hair in random places. After trying shampoos, special diets, sprays, etc - we didn't see a big change until our vet started her on Atopica. It is pricey but boy, did it change her life. She became virtually itch-free. I can't say enough good things about it. She was on a high dose (it's in pill form) and received it every other day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.