Wish us luck!!!

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Hi [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - I'm new around here and just saw your post. My Oliver is having his ACL surgery this coming Monday, 5/21. This is the first time we're dealing with a surgery of this nature (our first bully never had surgery aside from spaying), so we're a little nervous. We've been researching as much as we can about recovery and are planning for a LONG summer. I will definitely post about what we experience after surgery; maybe it will be helpful to you or someone else. Also, we were shocked also - Oliver isn't even limping anymore. He did at first and at that point, the vet felt some inflammation. After it not going away, we were sent to an orthopedic surgeon who determined his ACL is torn. It's crazy to see him walking normally yet knowing his ACL is torn. But they are stubborn so maybe they just refuse to limp. ;)

Good luck going forward with Cutty's surgery and recovery!
-Sherri

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Hi [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - I'm new around here and just saw your post. My Oliver is having his ACL surgery this coming Monday, 5/21. This is the first time we're dealing with a surgery of this nature (our first bully never had surgery aside from spaying), so we're a little nervous. We've been researching as much as we can about recovery and are planning for a LONG summer. I will definitely post about what we experience after surgery; maybe it will be helpful to you or someone else. Also, we were shocked also - Oliver isn't even limping anymore. He did at first and at that point, the vet felt some inflammation. After it not going away, we were sent to an orthopedic surgeon who determined his ACL is torn. It's crazy to see him walking normally yet knowing his ACL is torn. But they are stubborn so maybe they just refuse to limp. ;)

Good luck going forward with Cutty's surgery and recovery!
-Sherri

Thank you and yes please do share your experiences with us. Will be very helpful for me and many others I am sure. See Cutty barely has any signs unless you really watch him. This vet described it as his scar tissue can build up and make it strong again and even hold it back in place but that same scar tissue is what will cause to bad arthritis down the road as well. I think it started healing up right away and once that scar tissue formed it masked it. Especially being bulldogs, they are known to hide their pain well anyhow. Hugs to you! I will be waiting for the post that Oliver's surgery is done and went well. Do you know which surgery he is having?

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Poor Cutty and Oliver! I'm so sorry you guys are having to go through this!

I don't have any experience with this in pups, but I tore my own ACL. I know, not exactly the same thing! But I wanted to share that after the initial pain from my injury and once the scar tissue built up, I ditched the crutches and was walking semi-normally without much pain, just some discomfort, for about two months until I had surgery. So I'm not surprised your boys are acting normal too, and they probably aren't feeling too bad either. Although Bullies are pretty tough guys, so I'm sure they are handling it all better than I was!

Good luck with the upcoming surgeries!!! I'll be following your posts and cheering on my ACL buddies! :)

May 18, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver
Oliver is having TTA surgery. We discussed TPLO with the surgeon as well, but I have to say, he scared us a bit. He said the TPLO can be better in the long run for stout breeds like bulldogs, but told us that if Oliver takes one misstep during recovery, he can break his leg. My husband and I were so confused about what the right decision would be so we spoke to our regular vet again and she agreed the TTA would be best for Oliver. And yup, the scar tissue can form rather quickly which is deceptive to those of us scratching our heads and saying, "But my dog isn't even limping!" We were told the scar tissue would cause severe arthritis by the time Oliver turned 4 and we don't want that! The "best quality of Life" is our mantra so surgery is the answer. How old is Cutty? Oliver is just a year and a half but luckily, he is a SUPER mellow puppy so I think that will be to our advantage during recovery. Also, are you going to do any sort of physical therapy after surgery? Some surgeons recommend it; ours didn't say it was necessary - but we opted to do it. (a friend of ours owns a canine physical therapy rehab practice so we lucked out there!)

I'll definitely post more after his surgery on Monday. Sending hugs your way and big kisses & well wishes to Cutty.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.