Wish us luck!!!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Sorry about the news! Hoping for a good recovery! :hug: to you and Cutty

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Prayers and good thoughts for you and Cutty...will be checking in on his progress....to hear the good news...

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Awe so sorry to hear this, hope for a complete speedy recovery. And if he's eating and looks good, the number on the scale could be wrong.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Thanks guys for your help and support. Now I am hoping he needs the lesser of the surgeries..... ugh...
Well as for the weight, it is right. I had Cutty in the vet a bit ago when Miila needed her vaccines. I took him then for his knee to be looked at (no xray) and they weighed him just about the same. I knew their scale was off there so I didnt think much of it until today. BUT he does look good so I am going to put that out of my head if possible. Just so confused about it is all.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sorry to hear this. It's easy for me to say, but try not to worry. Now you know what it is, no more uncertainty. What needs to be done gets done. Hang in there for him.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] aw jenn dear sorry to see this but it will be ok. sarah had a torn acl when we got her. dr fixed it and she is good to go now so no worries. i dont think it was even that bad of a recovery so i hope that helps some. also i do not put alot of stock in vet scales. i have taken my pet in one day and then taken them back 2 days later to be told she had gained 2 pounds. hm really in 2 days? so i would not worry bout that right now. if there is muscle loss (which i doubt) you can fix that after he gets better after the surgery. hang in there dear it will be ok :hug:

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
you mean your not :confused:

:lol: I always thought that was one of the job perks. haha

K they called today and said he needed the lesser of the surgeries which is the lateral suture. They said it could cost around 2400 or so which is fine if that is what is needed. BUT I know there is an awesome bully vet that so cal rescue uses so I called them to get a quote etc and talked to Dr. Kramer for a good 20 minutes about what the possibilities could be and reasons. My gawd I wish I lived closer so that he could be a regular vet. Anyhow he offered for me to email my xrays so I can get a 2nd opinion from him and his surgeon so I feel more comfortable with what I do next etc... I know [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] has spoken highly of him but until she recommended I check him out for this the thought hadnt crossed my mind being such a drive but as we all know in these cases the drive is the least of our worries. Anyhow... I am going to pick up the cd of xrays tomorrow and will let you guys know what Dr. Kramer thinks. Thanks again Tessa. :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

K they called today and said he needed the lesser of the surgeries which is the lateral suture. They said it could cost around 2400 or so which is fine if that is what is needed. BUT I know there is an awesome bully vet that so cal rescue uses so I called them to get a quote etc and talked to Dr. Kramer for a good 20 minutes about what the possibilities could be and reasons. My gawd I wish I lived closer so that he could be a regular vet. Anyhow he offered for me to email my xrays so I can get a 2nd opinion from him and his surgeon so I feel more comfortable with what I do next etc... I know [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] has spoken highly of him but until she recommended I check him out for this the thought hadnt crossed my mind being such a drive but as we all know in these cases the drive is the least of our worries. Anyhow... I am going to pick up the cd of xrays tomorrow and will let you guys know what Dr. Kramer thinks. Thanks again Tessa. :hug:

I think it is great you are getting a second opinion.... I don't know much about this issue myself but hopefully the recovery will be easier than the more major surgery....

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I think it is great you are getting a second opinion.... I don't know much about this issue myself but hopefully the recovery will be easier than the more major surgery....

assuming the first vet was right and that is the surgery he needs it should be sooo much easier on recovery time. (I think, lol) I just hope they both agree on what he needs, will make this so much easier.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

K they called today and said he needed the lesser of the surgeries which is the lateral suture. They said it could cost around 2400 or so which is fine if that is what is needed. BUT I know there is an awesome bully vet that so cal rescue uses so I called them to get a quote etc and talked to Dr. Kramer for a good 20 minutes about what the possibilities could be and reasons. My gawd I wish I lived closer so that he could be a regular vet. Anyhow he offered for me to email my xrays so I can get a 2nd opinion from him and his surgeon so I feel more comfortable with what I do next etc... I know @TessaAndSamson has spoken highly of him but until she recommended I check him out for this the thought hadnt crossed my mind being such a drive but as we all know in these cases the drive is the least of our worries. Anyhow... I am going to pick up the cd of xrays tomorrow and will let you guys know what Dr. Kramer thinks. Thanks again Tessa. :hug:

Best of luck.... and you are right - when it is a great vet and they are experienced with bullies... the drive is nothing. Our regular vet is 45 mins one way without traffic ... would not even think of changing unless he retired,which since he is young won't be anytime soon :whew:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - I am on vacation as you can probably tell from FB but if you have any questions let me know!

The one thing that I'm gathering from your posts is that the vet is considering doing a surgery that ties the ACL back into place as opposed to reshaping the joint and eliminating the need for the ACL (TPLO surgery)? If that's the case (which I'm not sure it is), please be aware that the surgery that ties the ACL back into place is something of a temporary fix and can be reinjured and need more surgery - AND it is not ideal for heavier dogs! The TPLO is a bit more expensive but it does last a lifetime. Just something to consider when you go for the second opinion!

I'm sorry you have to go through this but please let me know if you have any questions! I'll make sure to check!

xoxox to Cutty!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] - I am on vacation as you can probably tell from FB but if you have any questions let me know!

The one thing that I'm gathering from your posts is that the vet is considering doing a surgery that ties the ACL back into place as opposed to reshaping the joint and eliminating the need for the ACL (TPLO surgery)? If that's the case (which I'm not sure it is), please be aware that the surgery that ties the ACL back into place is something of a temporary fix and can be reinjured and need more surgery - AND it is not ideal for heavier dogs! The TPLO is a bit more expensive but it does last a lifetime. Just something to consider when you go for the second opinion!

I'm sorry you have to go through this but please let me know if you have any questions! I'll make sure to check!

xoxox to Cutty!

Yes I think that is what they want to do. Cutty is under 50 pounds so he is a candidate but I do think maybe this is what Dr Kramer was thinking also. This surgery might be done then needing another later. He didnt say but that was my impression of what he was hinting at. He also said it depends ont he shape of the other joints etc whether or not any surgery would be best for him. He said that if they arent in great shape then surgery wouldnt help him in and in that case they could do stem cell therapy which wouldnt fix the problem but help relieve the problem of pain etc. The first dr looking at the xray said his knees and other bones all looked good but we will see what Dr Kramer says. Got the xrays, now I have to wait for hubby to get home and get them on the computer so I can email them to him. Hopefully I will have an answer tomorrow on his opinion. Thanks [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] for your help. Lmao I totally almost put jillh in there, how long has it been since you had that name?!?! omg.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.