USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    I always thought that was one of the job perks. haha

K they called today and said he needed the lesser of the surgeries which is the lateral suture. They said it could cost around 2400 or so which is fine if that is what is needed. BUT I know there is an awesome bully vet that so cal rescue uses so I called them to get a quote etc and talked to Dr. Kramer for a good 20 minutes about what the possibilities could be and reasons. My gawd I wish I lived closer so that he could be a regular vet. Anyhow he offered for me to email my xrays so I can get a 2nd opinion from him and his surgeon so I feel more comfortable with what I do next etc... I know @TessaAndSamson has spoken highly of him but until she recommended I check him out for this the thought hadnt crossed my mind being such a drive but as we all know in these cases the drive is the least of our worries. Anyhow... I am going to pick up the cd of xrays tomorrow and will let you guys know what Dr. Kramer thinks. Thanks again Tessa.
    I think it is great you are getting a second opinion.... I don't know much about this issue myself but hopefully the recovery will be easier than the more major surgery....

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wish us luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    I think it is great you are getting a second opinion.... I don't know much about this issue myself but hopefully the recovery will be easier than the more major surgery....
    assuming the first vet was right and that is the surgery he needs it should be sooo much easier on recovery time. (I think, lol) I just hope they both agree on what he needs, will make this so much easier.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    I always thought that was one of the job perks. haha

K they called today and said he needed the lesser of the surgeries which is the lateral suture. They said it could cost around 2400 or so which is fine if that is what is needed. BUT I know there is an awesome bully vet that so cal rescue uses so I called them to get a quote etc and talked to Dr. Kramer for a good 20 minutes about what the possibilities could be and reasons. My gawd I wish I lived closer so that he could be a regular vet. Anyhow he offered for me to email my xrays so I can get a 2nd opinion from him and his surgeon so I feel more comfortable with what I do next etc... I know @TessaAndSamson has spoken highly of him but until she recommended I check him out for this the thought hadnt crossed my mind being such a drive but as we all know in these cases the drive is the least of our worries. Anyhow... I am going to pick up the cd of xrays tomorrow and will let you guys know what Dr. Kramer thinks. Thanks again Tessa.

Best of luck.... and you are right - when it is a great vet and they are experienced with bullies... the drive is nothing. Our regular vet is 45 mins one way without traffic ... would not even think of changing unless he retired,which since he is young won't be anytime soon
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Keep us updated, I'm really interested to hear what Dr. Kramer says about the x-rays!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

@cali~jenn - I am on vacation as you can probably tell from FB but if you have any questions let me know!

The one thing that I'm gathering from your posts is that the vet is considering doing a surgery that ties the ACL back into place as opposed to reshaping the joint and eliminating the need for the ACL (TPLO surgery)? If that's the case (which I'm not sure it is), please be aware that the surgery that ties the ACL back into place is something of a temporary fix and can be reinjured and need more surgery - AND it is not ideal for heavier dogs! The TPLO is a bit more expensive but it does last a lifetime. Just something to consider when you go for the second opinion!

I'm sorry you have to go through this but please let me know if you have any questions! I'll make sure to check!

xoxox to Cutty!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    @cali~jenn - I am on vacation as you can probably tell from FB but if you have any questions let me know!

The one thing that I'm gathering from your posts is that the vet is considering doing a surgery that ties the ACL back into place as opposed to reshaping the joint and eliminating the need for the ACL (TPLO surgery)? If that's the case (which I'm not sure it is), please be aware that the surgery that ties the ACL back into place is something of a temporary fix and can be reinjured and need more surgery - AND it is not ideal for heavier dogs! The TPLO is a bit more expensive but it does last a lifetime. Just something to consider when you go for the second opinion!

I'm sorry you have to go through this but please let me know if you have any questions! I'll make sure to check!

xoxox to Cutty!
    Yes I think that is what they want to do. Cutty is under 50 pounds so he is a candidate but I do think maybe this is what Dr Kramer was thinking also. This surgery might be done then needing another later. He didnt say but that was my impression of what he was hinting at. He also said it depends ont he shape of the other joints etc whether or not any surgery would be best for him. He said that if they arent in great shape then surgery wouldnt help him in and in that case they could do stem cell therapy which wouldnt fix the problem but help relieve the problem of pain etc. The first dr looking at the xray said his knees and other bones all looked good but we will see what Dr Kramer says. Got the xrays, now I have to wait for hubby to get home and get them on the computer so I can email them to him. Hopefully I will have an answer tomorrow on his opinion. Thanks @sheshistory for your help. Lmao I totally almost put jillh in there, how long has it been since you had that name?!?! omg.

Drool Catcher AdventuresWithOliver's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Hi @cali~jenn - I'm new around here and just saw your post. My Oliver is having his ACL surgery this coming Monday, 5/21. This is the first time we're dealing with a surgery of this nature (our first bully never had surgery aside from spaying), so we're a little nervous. We've been researching as much as we can about recovery and are planning for a LONG summer. I will definitely post about what we experience after surgery; maybe it will be helpful to you or someone else. Also, we were shocked also - Oliver isn't even limping anymore. He did at first and at that point, the vet felt some inflammation. After it not going away, we were sent to an orthopedic surgeon who determined his ACL is torn. It's crazy to see him walking normally yet knowing his ACL is torn. But they are stubborn so maybe they just refuse to limp.

Good luck going forward with Cutty's surgery and recovery!
    -Sherri
    Life is always an Adventure with Oliver!
    http://adventureswitholiver.tumblr.com/

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AdventuresWithOliver View Post
    Hi @cali~jenn - I'm new around here and just saw your post. My Oliver is having his ACL surgery this coming Monday, 5/21. This is the first time we're dealing with a surgery of this nature (our first bully never had surgery aside from spaying), so we're a little nervous. We've been researching as much as we can about recovery and are planning for a LONG summer. I will definitely post about what we experience after surgery; maybe it will be helpful to you or someone else. Also, we were shocked also - Oliver isn't even limping anymore. He did at first and at that point, the vet felt some inflammation. After it not going away, we were sent to an orthopedic surgeon who determined his ACL is torn. It's crazy to see him walking normally yet knowing his ACL is torn. But they are stubborn so maybe they just refuse to limp.

Good luck going forward with Cutty's surgery and recovery!
    -Sherri
    Thank you and yes please do share your experiences with us. Will be very helpful for me and many others I am sure. See Cutty barely has any signs unless you really watch him. This vet described it as his scar tissue can build up and make it strong again and even hold it back in place but that same scar tissue is what will cause to bad arthritis down the road as well. I think it started healing up right away and once that scar tissue formed it masked it. Especially being bulldogs, they are known to hide their pain well anyhow. Hugs to you! I will be waiting for the post that Oliver's surgery is done and went well. Do you know which surgery he is having?

Bulldog Vet in Training LaurenA's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rook
    Likes (Received)

Poor Cutty and Oliver! I'm so sorry you guys are having to go through this!

I don't have any experience with this in pups, but I tore my own ACL. I know, not exactly the same thing! But I wanted to share that after the initial pain from my injury and once the scar tissue built up, I ditched the crutches and was walking semi-normally without much pain, just some discomfort, for about two months until I had surgery. So I'm not surprised your boys are acting normal too, and they probably aren't feeling too bad either. Although Bullies are pretty tough guys, so I'm sure they are handling it all better than I was!

Good luck with the upcoming surgeries!!! I'll be following your posts and cheering on my ACL buddies!

Drool Catcher AdventuresWithOliver's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherri
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Oliver is having TTA surgery. We discussed TPLO with the surgeon as well, but I have to say, he scared us a bit. He said the TPLO can be better in the long run for stout breeds like bulldogs, but told us that if Oliver takes one misstep during recovery, he can break his leg. My husband and I were so confused about what the right decision would be so we spoke to our regular vet again and she agreed the TTA would be best for Oliver. And yup, the scar tissue can form rather quickly which is deceptive to those of us scratching our heads and saying, "But my dog isn't even limping!" We were told the scar tissue would cause severe arthritis by the time Oliver turned 4 and we don't want that! The "best quality of Life" is our mantra so surgery is the answer. How old is Cutty? Oliver is just a year and a half but luckily, he is a SUPER mellow puppy so I think that will be to our advantage during recovery. Also, are you going to do any sort of physical therapy after surgery? Some surgeons recommend it; ours didn't say it was necessary - but we opted to do it. (a friend of ours owns a canine physical therapy rehab practice so we lucked out there!)

I'll definitely post more after his surgery on Monday. Sending hugs your way and big kisses & well wishes to Cutty.
    Life is always an Adventure with Oliver!
    http://adventureswitholiver.tumblr.com/

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sullivan (my angel), Hank, and Ted
    Likes (Received)

Sending love and luck to you and Oliver!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads