Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over Heating, heavy panting

Default Over Heating, heavy panting

Hello,

Today I had my first actual scare of Winston(1 year 4 months old) over heating and having a potential heat stroke. I am very cautious with him over exerting himself while playing with his ball or frisbee. But today he played a little too hard.

What happened was he was panting harder than I have ever seen him before, his tongue actually turned a pale purple/bluish color and I knew that this was not good. What I will usually do is make sure he has water readily available and give him ice cubes to try to cool him down. But today he was breathing so hard he wouldnt drink or take the ice cubes. What I did was bring him in the garage because the cement slab is nice and cool for him and he likes to lay there in the shade. I dumped water on his neck and he layed on the cement. Thankfully he eventually cooled down and regained color in his tongue and ended up drinking and cooling down.

What I am asking is for what tips, tricks or things you do to cool off your Bully???

P.S. last summer when he was a puppy I had a bandana with gel like stuff in it that you would freeze and wrap around his neck, that seemed to help a bit.

But what products or types of things do you do to make sure your bully stays cool in the summer and doesn't over heat when playing in the summer??

Thanks

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Over Heating, heavy panting

that sounds serious! Remember poor Bullys can overheat and die during what isn't really considered real hot days. there is a wonderful article here on Bulldogs and the heat! If you ever see Winston repeat this, remember a hose works wonders! Last year I bought cooling vests for my dogs. They are made of tiny little beads that when soaked swell up. You put the vest in fridge and it holds the coolness for a couple of hours. We had to use iit when we lost our air conditioner on a 100 degree day! Helped a lot! I also have cooling bandanas.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...-bulldogs-heat

Heres the link to the article..great info here!
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 05-12-2012 at 07:18 PM.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We always have the hose at hand when they play outside even on nice spring days, because what is nice for us is still ht for them
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Well this summer (our 1st w/ Ellie) should be interesting I will have to be on the look out with her. She is such a little heat monster- always on the heat vent in winter, and she will lay in the sun (inside) sleeping until she gets so hot she moves and flops down in the shade. I just had to bring her inside on our 1st real nice day here in the Pac NW and she didn't want to get out of the sun! Little brat! Ice cubes are awesome!! But I wil be getting a kiddie pool for her soon!

I will call you Squishy, and you will be my Squishy!!!!!

Yes thats one more thing we have for Winston, a kiddie pool available for him to cool off. I have tried spraying him with the hose before but he runs from it when I start spraying him.

I will have to look into the vests.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)

Last summer ( I live in TX) my son let Spike out to use the restroom and completely forgot about him. When I got home from work I noticed he was gone. My gate doesn't close well in the summer because the ground gets so dry frOm the heat. We looked for about 3 hours and I was sure someone had probably picked him up. I found him 5 streets over panting and drooling in someone's porch his belly was also red. I. Took him home and put him in my shower with cold water and rubbed him with ice. Then I put a fan on him. After about 1 hour he started to look normal. It was my biggest scare with him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)

Oh yikes!!!!! How scary! I'm finding out that these dogs are very much like small children!!!!! Constant supervision. If only we could all work from home!

I will call you Squishy, and you will be my Squishy!!!!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I am so glad you got him cooled down!

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

So glad everything is well! This will be our first summer with Brutus but for the last 2 months we have limited our time outside...Its only maybe 73 but the sun is hot and when he plays he goes hard! I have to sometimes bring him out on the leash to get him back inside after potty b/c he runs away to stay outside

We do have a fence so I just have to chase him through the backyard! Huh and you know he doesnt care if I overheat from chasing him
    Last edited by ChanelnBrutus; 05-12-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

You got very lucky he did not die on you. Playing in the heat is dangerous for bullies. We will only let them play outside in the early morning or late evening when it cools down. Some days it is still too hot the play outside so they don't, we play inside. The cool vest do work and the cool collars work as well. Just have to be extremely careful in the summer.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

I'm glad your boy is okay!

In the summer we only go outside to go potty and I stand out there and tell them to go. Probably 5 minutes tops. We let them go out after dark if it cools off but that's about it. The rest of the time they hang out with the fan blowing or park it right in front of the ac vent. Make sure they are drinking plenty of water in the summer too...just like people they can dehydrate.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chapin04 View Post
    Last summer ( I live in TX) my son let Spike out to use the restroom and completely forgot about him. When I got home from work I noticed he was gone. My gate doesn't close well in the summer because the ground gets so dry frOm the heat. We looked for about 3 hours and I was sure someone had probably picked him up. I found him 5 streets over panting and drooling in someone's porch his belly was also red. I. Took him home and put him in my shower with cold water and rubbed him with ice. Then I put a fan on him. After about 1 hour he started to look normal. It was my biggest scare with him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Wow....he used up all his extra lives! You are sooo very lucky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads