"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Over Heating, heavy panting

Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsmomma View Post
    Well this summer (our 1st w/ Ellie) should be interesting I will have to be on the look out with her. She is such a little heat monster- always on the heat vent in winter, and she will lay in the sun (inside) sleeping until she gets so hot she moves and flops down in the shade. I just had to bring her inside on our 1st real nice day here in the Pac NW and she didn't want to get out of the sun! Little brat! Ice cubes are awesome!! But I wil be getting a kiddie pool for her soon!
    Bo is like that too. He LOVES to lay on the heater vents. He's also not smart enough to come out of the sun when he gets too warm. Yesterday, I had to MAKE him come in as he was laying by the pool - not in the pool -, directly in the sun and panting; short little pants. He refuses to sit in the shade or in the shady little area on the front porch. Refuses. Ugh. So I know your pain~!

@Jungerland - I admit....I might be hyper vigilant about this - but I don't care. EBs can overheat in a VERY short time and not even playing - just sitting. A guy I knew from work had his EB die on the back seat of the car while traveling cross country. This man was an experienced EB owner and was taking all the possible precautions he had at his disposal - but he did not have air conditioning in the mid west in the middle of summer. Stupid guy.

@Vicaroo1000 Yes, after yesterdays scare I am going to take every precaution to make sure Winston stays cool in the summer and on warm days. It was my mistake yesterday and I feel awful, it was a definite wake up call.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jungerland View Post
    @Vicaroo1000 Yes, after yesterdays scare I am going to take every precaution to make sure Winston stays cool in the summer and on warm days. It was my mistake yesterday and I feel awful, it was a definite wake up call.
    The good news, my friend, is that other folks are also reading this --- those lurkers! ha ha --- and surely heeding our warnings too. Your experience is helping someone else not have to face this very preventable tragedy. So thank you.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Beefy
    Likes (Received)

I had this happen with Beefy about 3 weeks ago. My son took him outside to play with the soccer ball and Beef got overheated. I brought him in and put him in the bath tub and ran about 3 inches of cool water in it. I grabbed a wash cloth and soaked it and started soaking him down. I cried like a baby for hours because it had scared me so bad.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

I don't take any chances on hot days. They are inside all day with A/C on until near nightfall then we go out for a short walk. The closest I've seen Mr. Wilson over heat was when we use to go to the dog park a couple of years ago. He was having a great time running and chasing the other dogs but when he came back to me his tongue was a purplish-blue. OMG! I stopped him and poured water all over him and we went home. No other signs but the tongue color is a "loud and clear" sign that he needed to slow down and get his blood oxygenated.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads