So we went to the vet for an ear infection...

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
and $200 later we have some Zymox Otic Hydrocortisone 1%, Butler Schein PhytoVet CK Antiseptic Shampoo and Professional Health Products Grass & Weed Mix. Have any of you heard of these things? I know Zymox has been mentioned a couple times in the forums.....How did/does it work for you? Our new vet is conventional and holistic soooo she didn't give us any antibiotics. Is that weird? I thought for sure they would....not that I want to suppress (spelling?) his immune system or anything, but will the Zymox kick it in the but? The shampoo better be a flippin miracle worker since that was $18.50! I guess the Grass & Weed Mix is a homeopathic. I understand the idea behind homeopathics, but wouldn't you think putting 20 different weeds and grasses in the water be a little counterproductive? I don't know...what do you all think?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Zymox is a very common ear med and my holistic vet prescribes it too. Just make sure you follow instructions as to how often and the duration so you'll wipe out the infection well. It may come back and haunt you if not. My two boys both had, and Punkin still has, ear infections, and I don't believe they gave us any antibiotics for it.

What's the shampoo for? We've tried a few shampoos and the only one that worked well is the one we get from the vets, it's an aloe and oatmeal one. Good for itchy and sensitive skin. One bottle lasts at least 6 months so the $20 is very worth it.

Lastly, yes, holistics and homeopaths love the grass and weed supplements. lol. I'm guessing it should boost their immune system.

***Edit: Here's what I found by googling the mix. I'm guessing you spoke about allergies with your vet? It looks like a reputable supplement.

Homeopathic attenuations of antigens; i.e., substances which can produce the production of antibodies. Each PHP allersode combination provides an entire class of common allergic materials along with factors which promote non- specific resistance to allergic stress. Potencies of individual agents are in the 6X- 100X range

Last edited:
OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
What's the shampoo for? We've tried a few shampoos and the only one that worked well is the one we get from the vets, it's an aloe and oatmeal one. Good for itchy and sensitive skin. One bottle lasts at least 6 months so the $20 is very worth it.

Lastly, yes, holistics and homeopaths love them. lol. I'm guessing it should boost their immune system.

Duh, i forgot to mention that while I was at the vet we talked about his skin. Its scaly and he has some hairloss patches and his paws are really red. So she suggested the shampoo. She said it was comparable to Maleseb, which is the shampoo she actually loves, but they stopped making it (she thinks they might be coming back with it though).

I just hope with the homeopathic spray that there isn't something in there that he's wicked allergic to.

She also mentioned that the full blood panel allergy test would be good, but she suggested that I wait until fall, since that's when I'll get a good collection of all allergens. Just mentioning it in case anyone else is thinking about an allergy test, you may want to ask your vet if you might want to wait. I don't know, I'm going to research that idea a little more, b/c i've never heard of that.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry -- I am not much help in the homeopathic arena.... but I also never heard of waiting on a full blood screen to 'get a good collection of all allergies' --- seems if you are allergic it will show in the ressults regardless of when you take the blood?

Last edited:
OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Sorry -- I am not much help in the homeopathic arena.... but I also never heard of waiting on a full blood screen to 'collective a collection of all allergies' --- seems if you are allergic it will show in the ressults regardless of when you take the blood?

yea, b/c aren't they testing the blood against a bunch of allergens that they have at the lab? Isn't that how it works? hmmm...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yea, b/c aren't they testing the blood against a bunch of allergens that they have at the lab? Isn't that how it works? hmmm...

That is what I was told and always though -- may be something changed? :confused:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.