Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This issue with the fungus in his eye is back. Yesterday and this morning his eyes have both become green and gooey. His ears look clean and yeast free, but he seems bothered by them.

I am wondering if he actually does not have an ear infection that is going to his eyes. He has not been very perky the past couple of days either. :( But he is eating fine, but ever since he went in that kiddie pool he just has not been "up to par" you could say. :blah:

I am going to hopefully get him in tomorrow, Chip is here (yay) so I don't need a mobile vet.

Now that Chip can see Yuna and Tidus he agrees with the vets diagnosis of a fungus. Yuna's scab on her head is white, kinda looks like a wart. So I will also be bringing her in on Tuesday to get this thing looked at as well. Otherwise, Chip is very happy with how great everybully looks on the dog foods. Tidus seems to be the only one with anything really bad going on right now.

I am worried since I have already treated his eyes with this antibiotic once it may not work again, but I did put it in his eyes last night and this morning. I think he may need real antibiotics this time tho. He just looks so sourmug and pathetic today. :(

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Oh...poor Tidus. Give him licks and wiggles from Vegas and Orion.

(I'm trying to picture you relaying this message) Maybe just a big hug and a kiss from Vegas and Orion!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Oh boo, I am sorry the pups are still sick.

I mentioned in the ear infection thread that Linus is also being treated for a fungal/yeast issue in his ears, folds and tail. Fungus and yeast are, apparently, managed with the same set of medications. And yes, Linus' infection did get to his eyes from his ears, so that might very well be the root of the issue.

In order to really stop the growth of the fungus and yeast, Linus is on fluconazole, which is prescribed for stubborn fungus infections (like Valley Fever) - an oral medication. It seems to be giving him some diarrhea but also providing relief from that pesky fungus and yeast growth. I am also using Conofite in his ears to help limit the fungus and yeast growth.

So we're in the same boat here too. I think the allergies this summer in Arizona must have been horrible for bullies or something...but let us know what the vet says and prescribes for the little ones.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh no Tidus! I hope he gets better soon, poor baby! We've been fighting an ear infection in Samson's right ear for months now, keeps coming back, but (knock on wood) it hasn't spread to the other ear or his eyes.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I've always had the great success with yeast creams for women when my dogs get yeast infections. Also, any type of antibiotic has side effects of diarrhea. It's kinda like a catch 22. Good luck!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh no poor baby!!! Has been a while now that you guys have been dealing with all of this, hopefully this vet will give something that fixes him up fast.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you, it seems like I get it all better and it comes back. :(

Hopefully seeing my regular vet who has a scope and things at hand will help find the source of the problem, as I think the eye antibiotic is just masking another problem (ear infections?)

See, if I touch his ears he acts like a baby would who is batting at their ear. Inside looks clean, no smell, but they feel hot when I touch the base. Dunno. I just got a huge suspicion that is what it is.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Long day, went to the vet, and yes, he has injured his other eye. The vet believes the fungus is yeast, and even though he is not 'brown' colored, you can smell it in his face. Did some cultures and got some anti fungal cream for his face and wrinkles, eye stained, and there is no entropion (thank god) but his eyes are so swollen that they are curling in, which is similar to entropion.

Does not think it is allergies, because it would need to take a season to develop an allergy to a season (interesting to know).

Wanted me to see an optimologist asap this week. So I thought what the heck, I will take him today if they can squeeze me in. So I took him there. Pretty much the same, but more detailed diagnosis. Eyes are swollen and irritated, could be self induced or it could be fungus.

We are treating for eye infections in both eyes just to make sure- treating for yeast- they went ahead and stapled his bad eye up to make sure it heals ALL THE WAY up, so that the swelling does not make the hair on his face tickle his eyeballs. Got 3 different pills for a week, 1 eye drop and 1 eye ointment. Got 1 tube of antifungal. Tidus is tired and so am I! I think it will be a busy week just making sure I give all the different things on time. $500 later, he better be 100% by next week!

Optimologist says he thinks since tidus is so wrinkly in the face this could be a big part of our problem. He is kinda, um, too wrinkly? If there is such a thing? LOL

But he was a good patient all day long. He is such a good bully. Not once did he jump on anyone, pee anywhere. I think everyone was in luv wif him!!!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Long day, went to the vet, and yes, he has injured his other eye. The vet believes the fungus is yeast, and even though he is not 'brown' colored, you can smell it in his face. Did some cultures and got some anti fungal cream for his face and wrinkles, eye stained, and there is no entropion (thank god) but his eyes are so swollen that they are curling in, which is similar to entropion.

Does not think it is allergies, because it would need to take a season to develop an allergy to a season (interesting to know).

Wanted me to see an optimologist asap this week. So I thought what the heck, I will take him today if they can squeeze me in. So I took him there. Pretty much the same, but more detailed diagnosis. Eyes are swollen and irritated, could be self induced or it could be fungus.

We are treating for eye infections in both eyes just to make sure- treating for yeast- they went ahead and stapled his bad eye up to make sure it heals ALL THE WAY up, so that the swelling does not make the hair on his face tickle his eyeballs. Got 3 different pills for a week, 1 eye drop and 1 eye ointment. Got 1 tube of antifungal. Tidus is tired and so am I! I think it will be a busy week just making sure I give all the different things on time. $500 later, he better be 100% by next week!

Optimologist says he thinks since tidus is so wrinkly in the face this could be a big part of our problem. He is kinda, um, too wrinkly? If there is such a thing? LOL

But he was a good patient all day long. He is such a good bully. Not once did he jump on anyone, pee anywhere. I think everyone was in luv wif him!!!!

Definitely not too wrinkly, his wrinkles are part of why I am so in love with him!!!!!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tidus already looks better today, but he is not liking to wear this cone thing much! LOL

Yuna's appt. was a complete waste of time. As I figured, skin scrapes were negative for any crawly things- and we don't know what the scab is, except it could be a fungus. Hmmm..... did I not know this already!??? So how do we get rid of it? First we pluck hairs and see if the fungus grows in a jar of goo. So we will know in a week if it is a fungus. And if it is? Then what?

It actually resembles more of a wart at this point. So maybe it is a wart?

So, another $185 later I have no answers. Sigh. At least I know she is not uncomfortable from it, except now she has cuts from being scraped. :(

All I can say is ONE THING......Dang kiddie pools!!! LOL

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Oh wow, sounds like a crazy day...might want to read my "Just one of those days..." post under "Bulldog Talk" because it sounds like you just had one!

I hope the kids are on the mend soon. It's so difficult when you cannot get a definitive diagnosis and treatment plan!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a better attitude today, got to thinking it over, and yes,.... wasted money.... BUT at least we ruled out mange- did NOT want it to be that, so thank the lord almighty it's not!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.