Runny poop

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I need suggestions from the experts (again). I have a five month old very healthy pup who has been eating Fromms beef frittata for a good 6 weeks now. All had been good until last week. His poop has gone from firm and shaped to mush. :( I have racked my brain trying to figure out why. Thought maybe he was getting too much, so I cut back from 3/4 three times a day to 1 cup morning and night. I've added pumpkin - no change. Given yogurt, made it worse. I've changed his treats, which are tiny after potty treats and even changed food flavor last night to Fromms Surf and Turf, still mush. He isn't going more often than normals and acts perfectly fine so he is not sick. Any suggestions?? He is getting in new teeth and I know teething can cause this issue with skin babies, but didn't know about dogs. How long before I should consult his vet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My suggestion: get to the vet. Make an appointment and take a FIRST POO of the DAY (FRESH) to the appointment. There could be something going on in those cute little intestines that demand medication. I'm no expert, but I don't think that diarrhea shouldn't go on for more than a couple days before you are vet bound.

Hope Tank is feeling better soon!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
rule out parasites first.

If that doesn't work and neither does antibiotics (some vets put them on all kinds of things for the runs) Please watch out for weight loss, fatigue and agressive eating (like starving all the time) Look to see if his poos are yellowish or grey in color. I am the paranoid Poop Mom here on the site. My Bella has a condition and this is how it all started. Let me know and keep us updated.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Some vets will allow you to just drop off a stool sample without an exam. This will save you about $40-$50. I would do the bland diet for a couple of days to see if the poo gets better. There is a possibility of parasites or eating a foreign object, and you don't want to risk it in a young pup. If the bland diet works, slowly go back to kibble. Kibble only. No toppers, no treats. If it is just a digestive issue, skipping 1 meal can also help sort things out. You mentioned training treats, has there been a lot of these given lately?

OP
Corlando465

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I forgot to add earlier that all of his stool samples from check ups have all been negative and we have a fenced yard so he hasn't been exposed to other dogs much. Vet also just did blood work up for next months neutering and he called and said all his results were great and he was very healthy, so I just can't figure out what's up with his tummy. He does not get bunches of treats - just potty and kennel treats, but I have been cutting back on those too until this issue gets resolved. Any other suggestions?? Thanks for the ones so far!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be something he swallowed... Any missing toys or socks? I would try bland diet for a couple days, or skip a meal, or cut out all treats.... Give kibble as treats instead. Just until you get the poo under control.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
when a dog has the runs but is well otherwise then the best thing is to withold food for 24 hours,but leave plenty of fresh water out,animals benefit from the rest after a bout of the runs it gives the digestive tracts time to rest and time for anything that should not be in there time to flush through,if any of my bulldogs have had the runs but are fine in all the other ways then i have always done this ,which ever way you go i hope you resolve it soon ,its rotton having a dog with runny poops,karen

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Great advise above and I have nothing to add, just hope he gets better soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree... skip a meal or go to the bland diet and stop all treats. His teething will add to the soft poo

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.