My Bully's prostate is enlarged.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus was neutured early at 8 months due to prolapsed urethra and it being best for him and that issue...He is growing perfect ... I have never heard any vet say not to neutuer b/c the risks of not doing it are greater than doing it...If there is a red ball on his penis that is a prolapsed urethrea so I would get a second opion with another vet if possible...

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Brutus was neutured early at 8 months due to prolapsed urethra and it being best for him and that issue...He is growing perfect ... I have never heard any vet say not to neutuer b/c the risks of not doing it are greater than doing it...If there is a red ball on his penis that is a prolapsed urethrea so I would get a second opion with another vet if possible...

Yeah, I agree with you. I am planning on going back to his previous vet. The problem is that it is 2 and half hours away (we recently moved). But he was so much better with him. In the last 3 months we have tried 4 different vets and animal clinics, and they have all disappointed me for one reason or the other. Just this last one seemed to be really OK, until the neutering thing. But I feel really bad for Ulysses because he used to like going to the vet, but recetly we've been going to so many different ones, 2 of them not very friendly with us or him, that he is now freaking out, even when we just go to drop a stool sample. He just hates it (and the prostate exam didn't help of course). So tomorrow I'll make an appointment with the old vet and we'll see how it goes. I want to get him neutered, and save him all these troubles. But I want it to be done by somebody that we both like and trust. Pee-pee wise he has been better, no more blood, and the red ball is gone, but he also seems a little overexcited, I'd even say frustrated. Just want my boy to be happy and healthy you know.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Yeah, I agree with you. I am planning on going back to his previous vet. The problem is that it is 2 and half hours away (we recently moved). But he was so much better with him. In the last 3 months we have tried 4 different vets and animal clinics, and they have all disappointed me for one reason or the other. Just this last one seemed to be really OK, until the neutering thing. But I feel really bad for Ulysses because he used to like going to the vet, but recetly we've been going to so many different ones, 2 of them not very friendly with us or him, that he is now freaking out, even when we just go to drop a stool sample. He just hates it (and the prostate exam didn't help of course). So tomorrow I'll make an appointment with the old vet and we'll see how it goes. I want to get him neutered, and save him all these troubles. But I want it to be done by somebody that we both like and trust. Pee-pee wise he has been better, no more blood, and the red ball is gone, but he also seems a little overexcited, I'd even say frustrated. Just want my boy to be happy and healthy you know.

I understand exactly what you mean!We have a good vet but when we had the prolapse we made the choice to drive 1 hr away and see a speiclist (way more expensive than regualr vet) but I knew Brutus would be in good hands...The ball on the pee isnt normal and when I heard your vet said it was I was confused :eek: That happens when the urethra prolapses...I am so sensitive when I hear blood from penis b/c it was a nightmare for us before surgery and after and I know the surgery was very painful and after surgery was worse...I just wanted to give you all the info I had and what I went through to give you some more options...Please keep me posted and if you need ANYTHING AT ALL please do not hesisiate to message me!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=4663]Maife[/MENTION] I am glad you have a vet you can trust and are comfortable with, stinks that it is such a drive. Let us know how things go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Thank you all. I will keep you posted. Fingers crossed everything works out fine. :pray:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
but he also seems a little overexcited, I'd even say frustrated.

Another benefit to neutering! No more frustration for your angel boy! :D I'm glad you're going back to the original vet. My dogs love to go to see Dr. Terry and that makes everything so much easier on EVERYONE!

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Well, so our vet is out of the country for the next two weeks :shout:. But I talked to one of her associates, and after describing the whole situation she told me to send her a picture of Uly's penis, since it looks OK right now I couldn't, so she sent me a picture of a prolapsed urethra, and Yes it is definitely what Ulysses had last week. She told me since it looks good, we can wait for now until our head doctor comes back, and then plan a date for neutering him. What a week!

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4663]Maife[/MENTION]When I first read this thread I was very nervous...I dont want to see any bullie go through this... If he has a prolapsed urethra neutering may solve the issue but with Brutus we had to hve the prolapse fixed! THey had to cut a portion of the urethra that prolapsed and suture it to hold in place...The netieuring was just to help prevetn the prolapse from returining...It started on monday with a couple drops for 5 days and then we woke Sat morning to a lot of blood! We had emergency surgery..I have posted a bunch of threads on this topic so if you search prolapsed urethra you will see a bunch of threds! Brutus had to have his fixed with surgery and it was very invasive but it needed to be done! If you need anything just messge me! I would do some research and find a good hospital or vet in your area to help you with this as this can be dangerous if not handled properly! I hope all goes well and I am here if you need anything

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.