My Bully's prostate is enlarged.

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
So today I found a drop of blood on the floor where Ulysses had been lying. After checking him all over I realized that it came out of his penis. That said, I packed my stuff and rushed to the vet. She first tried to examine his prostate, but apparently couldn't find it because it is enlarged. Then she did an ultrasound, and didn't find anything "bad". So the conclusion was that his prostate might enlarged due to over-excitement, meaning there might be a bitch in heat somewhere around that is driving my boy nuts. I am relieved that she didn't find anything, but I'm still worried, I mean is blood out of his privates! Does anyone has any experience with this?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Usko has had this twice the second time it got really bad and when it gets bad it can get inflamed and extremely painful, Usko could hardly walk. Usko got an injection to make the prostate smaller and some antibiotics. If Ulysses is not there yet try giving him Saw palmetto, that is the same herb that is used with humans with the same condition.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
We had this happen to Brutus but it was a prolapsed urethra. He was an agressive humper at times...It started with a few drops here and there and within a couple days it was squirting out alot. The vet had to do emergency surgey to correct the prolapse and neuter 3 grand later there are no more issues..Just keep an eye on him...Does it look as if there is a red ball on his private?

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
By no means do I think its what Brutus had just giving my experience...I dont want to worry you as Im sure your already worried..Just want to give you info..:) Hope everything gets better and its nothing serious..

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Is Ulysses neutered? Chunk's prostate was enlarged (with no symptoms of blood) and neutering him took care of it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes definitely [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]! I wish we had the option to have him neutered as a pup ... But we didn't get him until 2 years old and weren't in a rush ... Til the prostate issue. It was definitely a longer recovery for him at 3 1/2 years old!

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Usko has had this twice the second time it got really bad and when it gets bad it can get inflamed and extremely painful, Usko could hardly walk. Usko got an injection to make the prostate smaller and some antibiotics. If Ulysses is not there yet try giving him Saw palmetto, that is the same herb that is used with humans with the same condition.

I hope Usko feels better now. Yeah! the vet said something about some medicine to make his prostate smaller again, but she said we should wait a bit for it and see how it goes. She is kind of against giving to much medicines (which I really like) because he was on antibiotics just a few weeks ago. I will try to find the herb you mentioned, I really like to try the natural stuff when possible. Thanks for the advice! :)

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
By no means do I think its what Brutus had just giving my experience...I dont want to worry you as Im sure your already worried..Just want to give you info..:) Hope everything gets better and its nothing serious..

Thank you for sharing. I'm so happy to hear from people who have more experience with this. Well, he does have a red little ball on the tip of his private every now and then, and I told the vet it can also get really really really purple and swollen every two days or so, but she repeatedly told me it was normal. I just hope he doesn't need any surgery or anything invasive. For the moment I am keeping an eye on him and hopefully this will go away on its own. He seemed fine today. I'm happy to hear Brutus is doing fine, I hope my boy feels better soon too. :yes:

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
Is Ulysses neutered? Chunk's prostate was enlarged (with no symptoms of blood) and neutering him took care of it!

No, Ulysses is not neutered. I actually asked the vet about it yesterday because I've been thinking about having the procedure done for months, and with this problem it seemed a good approach, but she told me she doesn't recommend it at all, because bullies tend to be overweight and neutering him will probably just cause him more troubles, rather than benefits, especially respiratory. I am actually very confused about it now, because since he was a baby our previous vet always told us that after 6 or 8 months we should get him neutered, but now the new vet has a total different view... so I'm having doubts about it :nope:

OP
Maife

Maife

Apr 8, 2012
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Ulysses
He is almost 10 months now..

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
No, Ulysses is not neutered. I actually asked the vet about it yesterday because I've been thinking about having the procedure done for months, and with this problem it seemed a good approach, but she told me she doesn't recommend it at all, because bullies tend to be overweight and neutering him will probably just cause him more troubles, rather than benefits, especially respiratory. I am actually very confused about it now, because since he was a baby our previous vet always told us that after 6 or 8 months we should get him neutered, but now the new vet has a total different view... so I'm having doubts about it :nope:

If you're not going to breed him..he will be much better off getting neutered in the long run. There is a difference of opinion as to what age to neuter, but the benefits will outnumber the risks. Let's get [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] here..he has tons of experience with this.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for sharing. I'm so happy to hear from people who have more experience with this. Well, he does have a red little ball on the tip of his private every now and then, and I told the vet it can also get really really really purple and swollen every two days or so, but she repeatedly told me it was normal. I just hope he doesn't need any surgery or anything invasive. For the moment I am keeping an eye on him and hopefully this will go away on its own. He seemed fine today. I'm happy to hear Brutus is doing fine, I hope my boy feels better soon too. :yes:

This sounds just like when Brutus had the prolapse...The red ball on his penis shouldnt be there! That ball appears when the ureathra prolapses...Right now it shouldnt be a problem b/c he isnt bleeding a lot...I would reccomeend getting him nuetuered to prevent anything further...Brutus never had the ball on this tip of his penis until he had the prolapse...Hope this helps

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would go ahead and neuter him, especially if he does have an prolapse urethra. As fair as him gaining weight after he is neutered, that's an easy fix, just reduce his food intake and problem solved.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names

Wow ... not to be rude but your vet upsets me. There are SO many reasons to neuter ... weight is a terrible contraindication for neutering. Like [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said ... it's an easy fix. Chunk hasn't gained an ounce since we neutered him ... his energy level is the same and everything. And let me tell you, if you have to neuter him later in life, it's really frustrating. There is a much higher chance of infection. It took Chunk over 6 weeks to recover because too much movement caused fluid to collect in the skin that was left (they only remove the inside boy parts)... too much movement was going out to potty and up/down the stairs once a day. :( Now, I know the idea of surgery for our babies is really torture for us (I leave with tears in my eyes every time I leave Chunk, even for an ultrasound which isn't even anesthesia) so I know it's an agonizing decision. Just weigh it very carefully. You prevent so many health problems by neutering younger. Ok rant over. Sorry, I just couldn't believe a vet would say NOT to neuter.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.