Breathing problem, very weird.

paperweight

Sep 19, 2011
So, I know bulleys are known for breathing problems. My baby did something weird a few weeks ago and does this on occasion and it scares the crap out of me when it happens.....

The best way to describe this is when people will make a snorting sound prior to hauking a luggie.

She does this randomly and its like she is struggling to breath while inhaling, does this 3-5 times in a row and then just breathing as normal again. Its very strange and I hope someone will have an idea of what I'm talking about by the description. I can try to get video but it is so random that I know I could nto que my video on the phone fast enough to capture this.

Thanks!

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
sounds like reversed sneezing do her sides cave in alot when she is doing this , if it is reverse sneezing nothing to worry about

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I would think its a reverse sneeze..Kinda sounds like something is stuck but not coming out..

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh yes as I read it I thought of reverse sneezing also. Allergies seem to cause it around here seasonally. Miila has done this every few days or so this last month. First time I saw it on my pug it scared the heck out of me but turns out it is ok, just like a sneezing fit we would have. I just try and calm them down and pet them while they do it, although I am not sure it really helps. lol

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I agree sounds like reverse sneezing. It looks alarming but is harmless. Some say if you rub their nose lightly it stops. You know like putting your finger under your nose to stop a sneeze from happening? BTW all my dogs have done this reverse sneezing.:yes4:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Sometimes when Bre gets a little warm or has been moving around too much she will take a deep breath in and it is one long loud gutteral noise...then she's fine. LOL

OP
P

paperweight

Sep 19, 2011
Wow, lots of responses! Sound slike the verdict is in. Thanks for the input, she dosen't seem to have any effect besides sitting for a moment after it happens(if she wasent already). So thanks, my mind is at ease, I'll try the petting the nose when I can to see how she reacts. Got to love it just another one of the little precious things she will be doing to entertain me for years to come :)

I'm the dad, and I'm the first one to drop what I'm doing, scoop her up and race to the vet when something seems weird. But I love her, I swear tho she looks at me like I'm crazy sometimes.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow, lots of responses! Sound slike the verdict is in. Thanks for the input, she dosen't seem to have any effect besides sitting for a moment after it happens(if she wasent already). So thanks, my mind is at ease, I'll try the petting the nose when I can to see how she reacts. Got to love it just another one of the little precious things she will be doing to entertain me for years to come :)

I'm the dad, and I'm the first one to drop what I'm doing, scoop her up and race to the vet when something seems weird. But I love her, I swear tho she looks at me like I'm crazy sometimes.

:shhhh: we are ALL crazy....MOST of the time! :laugh:

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I love your comment about being the "dad" My husband never wanted a dog and now he is her biggest "protector" and spoils her rotten. We can't leave the house without her. Drives me insane. He will get up in the middle of the night with her without me having to ask. A different story when my two boys were babies LOL All of our family and friends think he is nuts :-) and can't believe his absolute dedication to her..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Because she probably is thinking 'this guy is nuts!' ... I agree reverse sneeze - allergies will do it to them among other things.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.