Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: raised food bowls

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: raised food bowls

@cowsmom We were recommended to use raised bowls because Maggie aspirated on her food and this led to a bad case of pneumonia where she had to have quite a few breathing treatments at the vets. She has now finished the antibiotics but I am not convinced that she won't need to go back for more.

Her vet was ADAMANT that in future she MUST eat out of raised bowl at a level where the bowl is approximately chin height. All of this was going on shortly after the news of gunny's sad passing, and the subsequent posting of the warnings of what can cause bloat. So you can imagine my horror that raised feeding bowls were said to increase the potential for bloat in deep chested dogs by 110%. It was like ... you are doomed if you do and you're doomed if you don't!!!

So I had to call the vet again. My daughter and I are stood there in Petland looking at this huge selection of raised feeding bowls. Well when your bully isn't in front of you and you're told it has to be a raised bowl then you start to question what is a raised bowl cos I'm looking at some that are 3" higher off the ground and some that are more suitable for a doberman!! Maggie at that time was still at the vets receiving breathing treatmenst so I decide to call the vets. As soon as I get through, I bring up my concern (so far the hubby has had to deal with the vets because it's always been when I'm working). Her answer was that bloat was more common with the deep chested dogs like a german shephard, and they feel that a bulldog is more WIDE chested. They are unofficially known as bulldog vets, and she said that they had never had an occurrance of bloat in a bulldog so far. She then went on to let me know about the chin high height for the bowl etc.

I did read about how to avoid bloat and I have to say that I do a lot of those things anyway .... small meals more than once a day. higher protein etc.

So for me it was choosing the lesser of two evils ....

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    @cowsmom We were recommended to use raised bowls because Maggie aspirated on her food and this led to a bad case of pneumonia where she had to have quite a few breathing treatments at the vets. She has now finished the antibiotics but I am not convinced that she won't need to go back for more.

Her vet was ADAMANT that in future she MUST eat out of raised bowl at a level where the bowl is approximately chin height. All of this was going on shortly after the news of gunny's sad passing, and the subsequent posting of the warnings of what can cause bloat. So you can imagine my horror that raised feeding bowls were said to increase the potential for bloat in deep chested dogs by 110%. It was like ... you are doomed if you do and you're doomed if you don't!!!

So I had to call the vet again. My daughter and I are stood there in Petland looking at this huge selection of raised feeding bowls. Well when your bully isn't in front of you and you're told it has to be a raised bowl then you start to question what is a raised bowl cos I'm looking at some that are 3" higher off the ground and some that are more suitable for a doberman!! Maggie at that time was still at the vets receiving breathing treatmenst so I decide to call the vets. As soon as I get through, I bring up my concern (so far the hubby has had to deal with the vets because it's always been when I'm working). Her answer was that bloat was more common with the deep chested dogs like a german shephard, and they feel that a bulldog is more WIDE chested. They are unofficially known as bulldog vets, and she said that they had never had an occurrance of bloat in a bulldog so far. She then went on to let me know about the chin high height for the bowl etc.

I did read about how to avoid bloat and I have to say that I do a lot of those things anyway .... small meals more than once a day. higher protein etc.

So for me it was choosing the lesser of two evils ....
    thanks so much for this. i have already started sarah back on her raised feeding bowl. she does not choke when i use these so im going to continue to use them. she will eat then cough i guess it is then continue eating. i have started also feeding her half her canned then when shes done with that wait a few minutes then give her the rest. i think im going to continue to use them. thanks for your response. i so hope your baby gets better soon

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChanelnBrutus View Post
    Good Idea! I will just use it for water! Brutus sticks his whole face in it when its on the floor!
    that is EXACTLY what Banks does... half the water goe with her when she walks away too. She tries to 'bite/chew' the water....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

i use raised bowls to stop annie being so low to the floor,she eats so fast you can hear the air being gulped,the ones i got were to high for her but the shorter ones the bowls were too small,so she has a wooden step in front of the bowls so she has to put her front paws on it to feed ,i know bloat doesnt happen often with bulldogs but its always better to be safe than sorry,karen

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

I was just googling "raised bowl for bulldog" and look what popped up. I want to get Wilson on a raised bowl but wasn't sure what height. @kazzy220, that was very informative info. Same goes for @Poppy. I'll have to read those articles a bit later though.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tom Fraley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarge and LuLu
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Preventing Bloat

Dogs who respond to nonsurgical treatment have a 70 percent chance of having another episode of bloat. Some of these episodes can be prevented by following these practices:
    • Divide the day’s ration into three equal meals, spaced well apart.
    • Do not feed your dog from a raised food bowl.
    • Avoid feeding dry dog food that has fat among the first four ingredients listed on the label.
    • Avoid foods that contain citric acid.
    • Restrict access to water for one hour before and after meals.
    • Never let your dog drink a large amount of water all at once.
    • Avoid strenuous exercise on a full stomach.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads