Pimple like bumps on skin.

BulldwgR56

Feb 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sirrius
Over the past 2 months my 14 month old bully has been getting bumps on his skin. The mostly start out and stay small and pimple like / mosquito like bumps. Some turn out to be redirected and scabby like. During the course of this he also had some severe hot spots in his neck wrinkles that he scratched raw constantly. They didn't seem to start from his tiny bumps and seemed to be a separate issue.

We took him into the vet at that time. The vet said he had hotspots on his neck and wasn't too sure on his bumps. Could be allergies as the weather has been so up and down. He also stated it could be a yeast buildup. He had some tear staining and redness in his toes. A shot of antibiotics and some meds seemed to clear the up but not eliminate the bumps as they are coming back again. Benadryl doesn't seem to make any difference. Any takers on this one? There was a food change but it was a month before this reared its head.

Sorry for crummy cell phone pics. It's easier than him attacking my real camera:-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1336462439694.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336462439694.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 4,258
  • uploadfromtaptalk1336462460139.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336462460139.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,949
  • uploadfromtaptalk1336462470904.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336462470904.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,524

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not much help here but Miila gets some crazy red little bumpy things from wrestling with Cutty. Took me a while to figure it out but where he bites her chicken legs I guess gets sores. And in return his head is a mess right now. It is embarrassing actually cuz if I take him anywhere he looks a mess but really she has those puppy teeth still and when she bites his face, ears etc it leaves bumps and fur comes out. I know this is the cause now only because I kept them from playing a lot an the one day they go at it, boom there they are again. Very odd. I am guessing this couldnt be the cause for you?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@BulldwgR56 well could be from the food change. do you have some of the old food left. easiest thing to test is food. put them back on the old food and see if this clears up. sarah was on a food 2 months before she got some extremely severe symptoms. i would get some malaket wipes and put this on everything bumps feet anywhere there could be yeast cept ive heard hot spots are to be kept dry and i think witch hazel was used on those but not sure have to dig up the hotspot thread and witch hazel on the tear stains. these all could be food allergy related. could be environmental of course. have you had an allergy test. i had such awful trouble with sarah till i got one done. let me tag lisa she could help more with the hotspots. @desertskybulldogs anything to add to this?

Last edited:
OP
BulldwgR56

BulldwgR56

Feb 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sirrius
No allergy test yet, he is just over a year old. Would benadryl throw off the results giving false readings? He's currently on earthborn meadow feast. I've thought about getting a small bag of their great Plains buffalo to switch to. Seems like opening a can of worms trying to sort out allergies

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hot spots behind the neck and ears are usually a sign of food allergies. This could even have been from a treat given, not necessarily the food. Remember treats are a huge part in allergy issues. Hives on the stomach or underside are usually from what they are laying on or touching.... grass/wool/dirt ect.

I am thinking that the combination of the hot spots plus the bumps is probably a combination of both food and environment, but if you on the right food it should help ease environmental allergies too.

Lets talk treats, what are you giving for treats and how often? Try cutting out any treats completely (except for fresh fruits or veggies) and see if there is an improvement. Remember to take out one thing at a time too, (don't go to benedryl until you try cutting the treats first).

I would suggest trying Fromm if you have not yet, I really think dogs with allergies do really well on this food. If you bully was on a chicken based food before your could try the surf and turf, but many do really well with the beef frittatta.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
No allergy test yet, he is just over a year old. Would benadryl throw off the results giving false readings? He's currently on earthborn meadow feast. I've thought about getting a small bag of their great Plains buffalo to switch to. Seems like opening a can of worms trying to sort out allergies

looks like a good diet, but that doesn't mean something isn't causing allergies. Benadryl will throw off results.
Could even be environmental. Good idea would be to get off Benadryl and tested.

OP
BulldwgR56

BulldwgR56

Feb 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sirrius
@desertskybullfogs. We don't really give him much for store bought treats. Food/treat wise things haven't changed. When he was a pup he was on iams smart puppy, chicken formula. We found he was a fussy eater, hard to believe I know. He stopped eating at his normal feeding time and only eat if he was starving or if we put something in his food to entice him.

We then switched to Blue Buffalo lamb puppy formula. It lasted about the small bag we bought before he lost interest in eating it. Then to Earthborn, he loves this stuff, he will lick the bowl clean and look for more. We just started our second large bag and he's still loving it.

I do give him carrots, bananas, pineapple apples as treats. But have since halted due to his current issues. His yeast and tear staining have been cleared up from the vets meds and shot. I only gave him benadryl as the vet essentially have me the same thing, just more expensive.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@desertskybullfogs. We don't really give him much for store bought treats. Food/treat wise things haven't changed. When he was a pup he was on iams smart puppy, chicken formula. We found he was a fussy eater, hard to believe I know. He stopped eating at his normal feeding time and only eat if he was starving or if we put something in his food to entice him.

We then switched to Blue Buffalo lamb puppy formula. It lasted about the small bag we bought before he lost interest in eating it. Then to Earthborn, he loves this stuff, he will lick the bowl clean and look for more. We just started our second large bag and he's still loving it.

I do give him carrots, bananas, pineapple apples as treats. But have since halted due to his current issues. His yeast and tear staining have been cleared up from the vets meds and shot. I only gave him benadryl as the vet essentially have me the same thing, just more expensive.

well i would stay off the treats and see what happens without the meds from the vet and the shot. if the symptoms return without the treats then i would look at food as a possible culprit esp if these things started after the switch. i dont see much difference except tapioca but even a preservative can give an allergy. i would look into getting the allergy testing done asap. it helps so much with these things. it could be anything from a rug to a new shampoo to laundry detergent. there is a thread in the health section about sending off some hair to the uk and getting it tested where one of our members did. was like 55 dollars i think. might be worth looking into. keep us updated.

paperweight

Sep 19, 2011
Hey, I had similar issues with mine. We found out she was allergic to gluten. We found that her food had wheat as the first product listed and all treats had wheat. We stopped her from eating this and about a week and a half later she had cleared up completely. Since then we have had no issues. We almost went the route of allergy testing, but after a suggestion on here about gluten we contact the parents and found out the father was allergic to gluten. I would suggest that you start there and try some simple test as stated above before going crazy with testing.

my$0.02

OP
BulldwgR56

BulldwgR56

Feb 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sirrius
I've seen the allergy testing in the UK thread. Sounds reasonable. I think my vet charges 200$ for their blood draw test. How long should I wait after I stop giving him benadryl? I may also pick up a small bag of earthborn great plains. As he may have issues with lamb as a protein.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I've seen the allergy testing in the UK thread. Sounds reasonable. I think my vet charges 200$ for their blood draw test. How long should I wait after I stop giving him benadryl? I may also pick up a small bag of earthborn great plains. As he may have issues with lamb as a protein.

well since you were feeding lamb before would seem unlikely but its just hard to say unless you find out. i spent 3 years trying to figure sarah out and finally just did the test. she is alot better now. gosh i think my vet said like 4 days but cant remember. if you do the hair test in the uk i dont know if you have to at all. i will post in the thread and ask karen and see. some people say here 30 days but im not sure it would take that long for benadryl to get out of the system.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Also, ask the vet to check for staph infection -- it is from a weak immune system which happens from allergies. If it is staph, usually about three weeks of a very strong antibiotic

OP
BulldwgR56

BulldwgR56

Feb 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sirrius
Thanks for the info. I plan on checking in with the vet this week. Hopefully get this craziness sorted out, staph infection had crossed my mind

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm glad you've got good advice already .... my first instinct was the food too. Only because after a food change can take about a month to fully take place inside their system. I'd take a look at the thread for the UK allergy test. People seem pleased with the results and it is SO much cheaper than the vets over here charge!!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4332]BulldwgR56[/MENTION] i posted in the other thread and karen said she thought no anti histamines for a few days before sending the hair. i may email then and ask. i asked another question and got a very quick response. i would think it would take drugs longer to get out of hair than blood.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.