Pulled ACL

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
Hey all,

It has been a while since I have logged on and been able to soak up all the great posts and people here. I have been busy. I recently (this past Monday) learned my Napoleon pulled NOT TORE his ACL. He was limping big time this past weekend. I hear this is common and wonder if you could tell me about your experience (if any) with this. I am SO beyond worried and would love to feel like I am not alone. Have a wonderful Thursday!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
No experience of torn ACLs with my bullys ... but Maggie did break one of her front legs two weeks after we got her. We just had to keep her really quiet, and I'm sure that is what you have been told to do with the vet. Just make him rest as much as possible whilst it heals.

OP
M

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
Poor doll... I am sorry. I appreciate your input and am trying to keep him rested. He gets excited at times and I freak out!! I dont' have the heart to crate him all day and night but for the most part I leave him in all day right now. It's is tough. He IS my baby.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I haven't had this experience either but I'll tag a couple people who might be able to help you. My first reaction would be to crate him and keep him as quiet as possible..it won't heal if he jumps..even off the furniture! Don't feel bad..it's making him well! [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]....[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

OP
M

Melody Diaz

May 30, 2011
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Napoleon
I haven't had this experience either but I'll tag a couple people who might be able to help you. My first reaction would be to crate him and keep him as quiet as possible..it won't heal if he jumps..even off the furniture! Don't feel bad..it's making him well! @2BullyMama....@Davidh

Thanks so much, every bit helps!! I noticed some improvement in his walking this morning which I was thrilled about but am trying to crate him as much as possible without crying. Lol

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We kept Maggie on the couch next to us and just played with her ... it was the only way we could keep her quiet during those six weeks we had to make her have "bed rest"!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our boy torn his ACL and had to have surgery twice on the same leg... what we did was turned one of the bedrooms into a big doggie bed... took some of the furniture out and put a mattress on the floor with lots of blankets and pillows then block the doorway with a baby gate. He was able to move around freely and not get too excited... we also would spend all our time with him and we took turns sleeping in the room with him --- BTW this was for 3 months

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some great advice above, the only thing is to keep him quiet and definitely no jumping. It's a hard thing to do but must be done in order for it to heal.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Limiting movement and preventing over-use sounds like the way to go for you, eh? Here too. No specific ACL experience but Bea had a limp - came and went - after a NHL Style Hip Check from Bo out in the dog's yard. A few weeks on limited walks and closely monitored play times and now she's back on long walks and not favoring it at all anymore. Good thing they aren't Labradors, huh? I can't imagine trying to keep one of those --- or a poodle --- quiet for healing purposes.....these guys sleep more than anything else.

Most Reactions

Members online