allergy testing? And a few more q's!

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
I still haven't got my puppy yet, but have been reading up on this site alot to get ready for the big day...So here's a few questions I have!
Do all bulldogs have allergies? Should I go ahead and get my pup tested right at his first apt I take him to (before I put him on a new food??)? What are the signs on them having allergies?

I think the testing runs $200+, but I *think* I saw an old post where you could get the test done through the mail, via a hair sample for a lot cheaper?? I would want to do mine in the US though, I think the post I saw wasn't.

This is more suited to the nutrition forum- but I keep going back and forth on using Fromm first off after I wean the pup off his current food.....then I'm seeing the raw options and wondering if by starting with raw right off if we could avoid allergies alltogether in the first place?

My problem with raw is that I'm a mom to two very young children- I barely get time to go the grocery store to get what WE need..I'm always rushed. I also wouldn't be able to find things like goat or duck where we live....and I would hate to keep feeding chicken over and over.

I like the idea of feeding a kibble in the morning-and at night doing a prepackaged raw food-like Natures Variety Raw. I see lots of different opinions on doing it that way though.

I just want to be prepared when we pick up our puppy..and the whole allergy thing has me worried. I really want him to start off right!

Thanks,
Kate

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
ive had 5 bulldogs over the years with not 1 problem with allergies,but this 1 ,well its been a full year of tracing what she is allergic to!!.so not all bulldogs are allergic,it depends on their health,keep the immune system on top formthen there should not be a problem,feed the highest quality food you can afford,i do beleive raw is the best feed but if you cannot do this then find a kibble that suits,in my opinion dont over vaccinate,dont use pesticides ie frontline ,fins holistic alternatives,i think that bulldogs are an over sensitive breed physically and emotionally so are wide open for their immune systems to plunge,im sure all will be ok with your new bulldog and beleive me they pick up on our stress ,karen

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
my thoughts: i would never get my baby bully tested for allergies just because some bullies have allergies. if a problem arises, then maybe i would test, but still probably not unless there was a respiratory issue. don't anticipate an allergy problem. if they get hives, there's always benadryl.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Do not get an allergy test on a young pup, it will come back with false negatives, they have not built up any antibodies to fight allergens and they have not come into contact with enough of them to give you an accurate test. Not all bulldogs have allergies, and some are only borderline or sensitive to certain foods and enviornments. Usually you won't even see any signs until they are older, and most bad allergies don't show up until after they are around a year old, give or take a few months. Much of it has to do with their parents, how they live, (clean environment, good healthy food and snacks) and how they were raised as young pups during their important growth stages. A nursed pup from a healthy mom provides a huge boost in antibodies in their early life.

Don't stress or worry too much, enjoy your puppy! Cross the allergy road if it comes, and if and when it does you can be sure we will be there to help you find answers. :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You've got some great advice here and I've nothing to add except; keep us posted on that pup, [MENTION=4740]Totoro[/MENTION] ! Can't wait to see pics of the new baby. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wait till your baby is over a year before doing an allergy test... as [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] stated, their immune system is not fully developed and the results will be off.

Raw is great and the best for them, but with two littles running the house... I'd stick with kibble.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.