The Pig has her annual check up today...and a few Qs

I

ImAGuinneyPig

Guinness has her yearly check up tonight. She'll be getting all her boosters, then nothing for 3 years! (except Lepto)

So I know they are going to want to have the heartworm discussion. Question: does everyone do the yearly June-Nov. heartworm prevention? I've seen some articles that suggest heartworm meds are not necessary (depending on where you live). Anyone heard anything similar? (I'm guessing @savemejeebus has ;) )

Now I know that Ontario has the most occurrences of dogs infected in all of Canada, but infection rates are still low. Our clinic uses Revolution, which is for heartworm, fleas, ticks, and ear mites. It's a single liquid application on the back of the neck once monthly. Anyone else use it?

My other concern is that in the last 2 weeks, Guinness' nose rope has gone from pristine to dark, gunky and yeasty looking. Nothing has changed in her diet or living situation. I am having to clean it several times a day, and it just doesn't seem to cut it. Also, her coat has started to get flakey, which is also new to us. She gets salmon oil every morning and we've never had this issue. Anyone else?

Last year at this time she was only 5 months old, and had none of these issues, but do you think that's what it could be? Allergy season?

Any input appreciated :)

Will give an update after our trip to the dreaded and evil vet :p

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would bet on seasonal allergies. For the nose rope ask your vet fro Panalog ointment, works great!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I give Heart Guard from March through October. Unless of course, I see skeeters hanging around. I don't treat unnecessarily in the winter months.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Wink at you back! ;) :whistle:

After careful consideration and speaking with the holistic vet we go to, we decided not to give heartworm meds. But I do test the boys yearly for it, which is one of the reasons why we're going to the vets next Wed. They said annual checkups aren't really necessary considering the research, but it gives my bf and I peace of mind. We also put a spoonful of apple cider vinegar (organic, raw/unfiltered, mother included or something like that) in their water during the spring/summer months. Apparently mosquitos don't like sour skin. :p My bf also makes them wear a shirt during the evenings when we're outside and the mosquiters are roaming.

Last edited:

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
i have been giving heartworm meds to Watson but the area we live in is marshy and humid with lots of bugs. My family dogs in california don't take heartworm medication. it will be interesting to see as others weigh in as well.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
we have a gezillion mosquitoes until end of july. have to give it june-august. i usually stop after the mosquitoes are gone for a month. both of them HATE getting the drops (i use the topical drops), and it takes a few days to sink in so we can't pet them and hug them.:(

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
Wink at you back! ;) :whistle:

After careful consideration and speaking with the holistic vet we go to, we decided not to give heartworm meds. But I do test the boys yearly for it, which is one of the reasons why we're going to the vets next Wed. They said annual checkups aren't really necessary considering the research, but it gives my bf and I a peace of mind. We also put a spoonful of apple cider vinegar (organic, raw/unfiltered, mother included or something like that) in their water during the spring/summer months. Apparently mosquitos don't like sour skin. :p My bf also makes them wear a shirt during the evenings when we're outside and the mosquiters are roaming.

does the apple cider vinegar seem to work, and have you tried this for more than a year? i'm curious...would love to not have to give the meds. maybe it works for humans too??

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
does the apple cider vinegar seem to work, and have you tried this for more than a year? i'm curious...would love to not have to give the meds. maybe it works for humans too??

The last heartworm meds Stig received was when he was 5 months old, after that we've been using the apple cider home remedy. Does it work? He tested negative last year, we're testing him again this coming Wednesday and will let you know. I think it works for humans too. I have heard some people put the vinegar in their glass of water. Never tried it myself though.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Mable was on Revolution for her whole (too short) life. I loved that it "does it all" in one product. She never had a problem with it and I also used to use the cat version on the felines around here.

I'm taking a more holistic approach to flea/tick prevention with Bea and Bo. As for heartworms, while prevention is always worth a pound of cure, Western Washington does not have an incidence of heartworms. In fact, only one county in the state -- Grant, I believe --- has had any noticeable incidence of heartworm occurrence in canines. I feel like the less chemicals the better.....but I know my good friend [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] absolutely disagrees with my no heartworm med policy.

OP
I

ImAGuinneyPig

Let's start off with a picture: Here's Guinness sitting on the couch with me, staring at the door the vet comes through. Note the look of utmost concentration. She wants to be ready to duck behind me when comes through the door. This is moments before she up-chucked the liver treats they gave her when we signed in.

GuinnVetCouch.jpg

Ok, onto the nitty gritty!

Went from 45lbs to 47lbs! Tsk tsk. Need to lose a couple pounds! It's hard when I am away so much. Daddy isn't as good a walker as Mommy is. I have to go away next week for work too :(

Some plaque on her upper canines. Gotta focus our brushing there!

Flakey skin was very minor. Attributed it to change in season as there are no skin issues.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] - He gave us this powder in a squirt bottle for her nose rope. Forgive me, I forget the name of it. Oops! But our vet used to breed Frenchies, and he said he used it for them. Will let you know how it works and what it is :D

Vaccinations went well. Heart, lungs, hips, back, eyes all awesome.

Got her bum cleaned and nails trimmed.

[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] - I was 99.9% sure you would say that! I chickened out! But I may go invest in some ACV and start trying it out, as it is supposed to have other benefits. I would love to start taking a more holistic approach. It gives me confidence to know that others (you and [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] ) are doing so succesfully :D

Finish off with a picture of my happy girl leaving the vet office with her brave girl bandana. I think it's the dog version of getting a lollipop from your doctor :p

GuinnVet.jpg

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
YAY Pig!! :jumping: lol I know that's just a nicname but my friend has a pug who's actual name is Pig. I think its hysterical

ACV has a TON of benefits but only the organic kind. The one you buy at the Shoprite for 49 cents isn't it :nonono: You want raw, organic cider vinegar and if the label says made from organic apples all the better!

OP
I

ImAGuinneyPig

Just picked up a big bottle of certified organic ACV on my lunch break!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We never used to treat for heartworm because there just wasnt any in the area we used to live in. We have now moved out into the country a little more and our neighbour has this huge lake. We moved in to our new house in July and celebrated with a bonfire that night .... wow you should have seen my daughter and my husband. Their legs were totally covered in mosquito bites ... so this has now become a huge problem with them. They are on heartworm pills now but I am VERY interested in this ACV theory. How much would you dilute it by for their water???

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
They are on heartworm pills now but I am VERY interested in this ACV theory. How much would you dilute it by for their water???

Dosage is usually 1 tablespoon per 50 pounds of dog (Abby gets 2 half a teaspoon doses a day). You can put it in their water or mix it into their food.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think I just have the common or garden variety ... I need to go hunting for the organic stuff!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online