The Pig has her annual check up today...and a few Qs

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I think I just have the common or garden variety ... I need to go hunting for the organic stuff!!

Raw, unfiltered organic cider vinegar. I think the most common brand is Bragg, you can pick it up at most grocery stores, Vitamin Shoppes and of course (my favorite place on the planet) Amazon.com :)

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Raw, unfiltered organic cider vinegar. I think the most common brand is Bragg, you can pick it up at most grocery stores, Vitamin Shoppes and of course (my favorite place on the planet) Amazon.com :)

Agree! Love Amazon for all those things you can't find easily! I have been using just the cider vinegar that I can find here and I am pretty sure it isn't the beneficial kind. So I need to get on top of that. Is there any negative effects to using more ACV? Like if you gave 2 Tb a day?
Living in CA we didn't have to worry about heartworm but now in Iowa, especially this year, I am worried. Haven't given him anything yet but am still mulling it over.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Agree! Love Amazon for all those things you can't find easily! I have been using just the cider vinegar that I can find here and I am pretty sure it isn't the beneficial kind. So I need to get on top of that. Is there any negative effects to using more ACV? Like if you gave 2 Tb a day?
Living in CA we didn't have to worry about heartworm but now in Iowa, especially this year, I am worried. Haven't given him anything yet but am still mulling it over.

You don't want to give too much of anything, ACV included. Too much can make the urine to become too acidic which could cause calcium stones. 1 tsp twice a day is enough for most of our guys. Over 50 pounds use a tsp and a half twice a day but I don't think any of us here have babies over 50 pounds do we?. At 24 pounds, Abby gets half a tsp twice a day.

To use it to prevent fleas & ticks you want to dilute it 50/50 with water and sponge it on. Let it dry naturally, don't towel dry.

BUT!! (and this is important) don't use it he/she has a yeast infection because ACV can make it worse.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
BUT!! (and this is important) don't use it he/she has a yeast infection because ACV can make it worse.

I didn't know that. So odd because I dilute white vinegar in water and rinse the boys with the solution after the final rinse during baths. The vet advised us to do this. Desertskybulldogs said that it was to prevent yeast. Who knew vinegars would be so different!

And thanks for the tip about adding acv to their food instead of their water. Sometimes they drink so little that it feels like we're just wasting the acv. Going to put it in their food from now on!

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
I didn't know that. So odd because I dilute white vinegar in water and rinse the boys with the solution after the final rinse during baths. The vet advised us to do this. Desertskybulldogs said that it was to prevent yeast. Who knew vinegars would be so different!

White vinegar is grapes right? Cider vinegar is apples. I guess it makes sense they'd act differently? Besides, using it topically is one thing. Ingesting it is something else.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
You don't want to give too much of anything, ACV included. Too much can make the urine to become too acidic which could cause calcium stones. 1 tsp twice a day is enough for most of our guys. Over 50 pounds use a tsp and a half twice a day but I don't think any of us here have babies over 50 pounds do we?. At 24 pounds, Abby gets half a tsp twice a day.

To use it to prevent fleas & ticks you want to dilute it 50/50 with water and sponge it on. Let it dry naturally, don't towel dry.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

Bo is 75 lbs and even heavier soaking wet.

I'm going to give this Organic ACV a try too. Fred Meyer stores here have a huge tree hugger section (meant lovingly - I am one, after all) and I'm certain I can find it there.

Bea is SO WEIRD about up-sets to the "norm"..... I wonder if she'll be able to detect it in her food? Then again, maybe she'll like it.......

Edited to add: I found this on a Golden Retriever forum. (NO, I'm not slumming LOL)

"Question #4: Is my dog at risk for heartworms here in Washington State?
No.
To date, there is no established heartworm disease here. The reason is not due, as might be supposed, to the absence of mosquitos, or of the right species of mosquito. There are at least 11 species of mosquito in the state of Washington which are reported to have transmitted heartworms in other areas.
The reason is, rather, that the average temperature in this area is too low to allow the microfilaria to properly develop after being ingested by the mosquito."

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
The reason is, rather, that the average temperature in this area is too low to allow the microfilaria to properly develop after being ingested by the mosquito."

All this heartworm talk had me up all night worrying about it. Until I found this...

to carry through the entire cycle of host to end host(mosquito to dog), the temperature must remain above 57 degrees for 4 weeks. If it goes below that, even at night, the microfilaria die and cycle must begin again.

We get some chilly nights in NJ so at least that's one less thing I have to worry about

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
All this heartworm talk had me up all night worrying about it. Until I found this...

to carry through the entire cycle of host to end host(mosquito to dog), the temperature must remain above 57 degrees for 4 weeks. If it goes below that, even at night, the microfilaria die and cycle must begin again.

We get some chilly nights in NJ so at least that's one less thing I have to worry about

OMG! That will NEVER happen here! Ever, ever, ever (sadly so, actually, as I am a terminal tanner). Thanks for finding that.

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] - tagging you sister sledge. See? It's gonna be OK!
(Sandra almost shamed me into marching right down to the vets office and getting heartworm stuff...LOL)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG! That will NEVER happen here! Ever, ever, ever (sadly so, actually, as I am a terminal tanner). Thanks for finding that.

@cowsmom - tagging you sister sledge. See? It's gonna be OK!
(Sandra almost shamed me into marching right down to the vets office and getting heartworm stuff...LOL)

:eek: Hope you don't take any children in the booth with you lol

OP
I

ImAGuinneyPig

:eek: Hope you don't take any children in the booth with you lol

:lmao: People have been NON-STOP talking about that on the radio here!! My favourite is the interview with the operator of the tanning salon :whistle: That sh*t cray!!

ANYWAY, lol. Here in Canada I found my ACV at Loblaws in the Organic section. I don't know if pricewise it was expensive or not....but I thought I got a pretty good deal. It's a sizeable bottle for $6.

And I am certainly going to do much more research into the heartworm situation in Ontario.

Tad worried about the ACV and yeast thingy you posted, [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] . Guinn's nose has been a bit yeasty the passed couple weeks, but we are treating/workign on it now.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
:lmao: People have been NON-STOP talking about that on the radio here!! My favourite is the interview with the operator of the tanning salon :whistle: That sh*t cray!!

My favorite is the interview she gave to TMZ "there is someone out there who doesn't like me because they are jealous, fat and ugly" :laugh:
The whole thing is embarrassing to me. Nutley is the next town over from me and the hair salon she was walking into is 3 blocks down the street from my house. I swear to you we are not all like that!

6 bucks is about average for the organic ACV. I buy Bragg at Shoprite. It costs me 5.39 for 32 ounces and I would hold off on giving it until the yeast on the nose is gone. I mean., its not guaranteed to make it worse, but it's a possibility and I wouldn't risk it.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok im late to this but i for one will always give heartworm meds. why? because year before last sarah had heartworms. there are no symptoms till its to late. she was sleeping alot but hm bullies do that anyway. the only reason it was found and treated in time is my bostons had tapeworms. the treatment for this is painful and not something that i would ever put her through again. so for me and my pets we will always have heartworm meds. i also like the holistic approach to things as i dont put any flea meds on her anymore but there are just some things i will not take a chance on. to each his own but when the end result is death and there are really no symptoms till its to late not a gamble im willing to take anymore. just my opinion.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.