Proper weight for bulldogs

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
My female bulldog (Dublin will be two in August) I get so many conflicting answers to what she should weigh. I have her on a very good diet and finally have gotten my husband to stop feeding her table scraps. She is very sad about it but..... She is very active and while the weather is not over the top hot she gets her walks and swims and comes most places with us.

She has a lot of breathing issues and has had surgery for it. Our Vet said she has the smallest trachea he has seen in a bulldog in his 30 year career:cry: Anyway, her high weight was 51lb ( she is very stocky with wide shoulders and has very short legs) She is currently 47lb. She looks super but of course we get a lot of "jokes" from people who don't understand about bulldogs.

Her vet said she is "fine" but would like to hear from anyone here as to what you think.

Thanks

Ann

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
well this is kinda a loaded question. lol They are all built SO diff really no way to know without a pic. Miila is a petite girl weighing in around 35 pounds. She still has some filling in to do but really not much I am sure. Now my Cutty is the very stout typical bully. He should be weighing right around 52 now that we have him healthy and thin. If you can see a tuck in her waist she isnt fat but you want to see a pretty nice little tuck and should feel ribs. Not see ribs tho. Thinking this is a good excuse for pics to be posted. :D

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
She is a very stout bully also. I think she is "fat" by what you say. If you click on my profile at the bottom I have added an album you can have a look and then I would love to hear your comments..thanks

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Each bullie is an individual but I agree with [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] that they should have a noticeable tuck in at the waistline and you should be able to feel ribs easily but not see any...

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Well she is beautiful by far!!!! Looks like such a sweety! I do think she could stand to lose some weight tho. Hard to know how much until you get going on it. With Cutty 2 pounds was enough to be obvious as he gained or lost it. He got to be about 5 pounds too heavy at his heaviest, which doesnt seem like too much but for his little stout box frame it was a lot. There are so many ways to help them lose weight. The vegas stew diet is a great way to add a filler without calories. My pups LOVED it but I am too lazy to make that and fee the 3 while dealing with 2 toddlers. I just started totally measuring out their food with measuring cups. Cutty's diet was a level scoop of 3/4 cup of grain free fromm 2x a day. Now figuring out the right amount for you is the tough one since they are all so diff. I would decrease the food and supplement with green beans or something similar as a filler. My pups now think they eat 3 meals a day so their last meal is just frozen green beans before bed. The extra weight could be hard on her with her breathing and all. Let me see if I have a pic of my pups waist to give an example....

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I dont have any recent ones of him looking slim like he does now so here is Miila. She still will fill in but her waist is pretty. She will be 2 in september.
img_1608.jpg

One way I can tell easily how thin or thick they are is if they lay down, they should look very thin in the tum tum. Cuttys didnt suck in for quite some time but now when he lays down I see his ribs (not individually but in general) and his belly is sucked in. I will work on getting pics of him today just cuz he should be showing off his new physique anyhow huh? Poor guy. :lol:

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
The good thing is I'm on the right track. She is down from 51 to 47lb and yes, the think that I worry about most is her breathing. I just looked at pics of when I got her at 11 weeks and she weighed 11lbs then, but she still had that low hanging belly LOL.
One thing I didnt' mention is she has severe seasonal allergies and has been on and off steroids for months now so keeping her weight down has been a real challenge being on them. She "breaks" into the laundry room and steals the cat food and wants to eat the whole time. They really saved her life a short while ago but they present awful challenges also.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I think just the fact that you are aware is huge.. feed her well and EXERCISE to keep her blood pressure and heart healthy. I had to put Duke on doggie Weight watchers a few years back.. Mommy was feeding way too many treats. Duke is very short , huge chest and stocky. he weighs 56 high 54 normal. he was over 60 pounds.. i cut out all treats. We never feed table food.. We feed NVI food and when I switched to that food I even cut back more.. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh yes you are DEFINITELY on the right track cuz like I said 5 pounds is a lot on a pup so her losing that much already, you are well on your way. Miila is a totally different shape for sure. Very petite and long bodied and legged. She is flexible more like a cat whereas Cutty is a box and cant hardly reach his back toes to lick. haha Once they are up from their morning nap I will try and get a pic of him, he is the total opposite of Miila body-wise. Only thing is it is hard to see his cute figure in pics usually. haha I can imagine the steroids make it very difficult also. You are doing well, just keep going at it. If she has breathing problems be careful of the exercise. Course you know what she can handle. ;)

I

ImAGuinneyPig

True to the Bulldog breed standard, a female should be approximately 40 lbs, while males should be approximately 50 lbs.

That said, it depends on how the individual dog is built.

Guinness has longer legs and a longer body as far as the typical Bulldog, as well as a leaner build. Yet she is 45 lbs.

There are approximate guidelines, but they are all built differently :) Beautiful and unique in their own right!

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Oh they are adorable and so healthy looking.... Poor Dubbie, second med for congestion not working and to make it worse, she is pooping everywhere.. Yuch! We are not used to that she is so great about never going anywhere but outside. Waiting for vet to call me back. I'm very worried about her :-(

OP
Dubbiedog

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Yes, if I could stretch her legs and her body she would be "perfect" So worried about her right now. congestion meds not working and causing bad tummy problems...... She has had so many issues from day one.............

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh no. :( please let us know what the vet says. These pups r good at making us worry rnt they? Is there a surgery they can do for her breathing?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.