Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Hi all,

Been feeling confused and borderline overwhelmed by a bevy of ailments that seem unrelated but because they are happening in succession or concurrently just makes me wonder if something bigger is looming.

Let me begin at the beginning a month ago (March 31) Schultz had an appointment with the vet dermatologist (takes 3+ months to get an Appt) for a work up. I thought he'd get screened for allergies but she found yeast on 2 feet, 1 ear and felt that he looked good and overall healthy so sent us home with ketoconazole to take for a month and some ear drops...see if his itchiness is alleviated by treating the yeast....It's been a month and he's the same ....itchy but not out of control.

Meanwhile, I decided to maybe take a vacation and started the process to get Schultz and his big sister, Sophie accepted to a posh pet hotel.... Part of the process vet clearing a fecal culture....discovered Schultz has Coccidia (although zero symptoms ie..no runs) ...so both dogs had a 10 day course of Albon ....will recheck the doopha this Friday....fingers crossed no more Coccidia...

So this past Friday, Schultz's toenail split to the toe pad....(which has happened before)....we soak toe in betadyne and try to keep it clean until the quick toughens up and the nail falls off....but I felt that this time the toe pad looked a little swollen so to be safe I asked that we do a course of antibiotics to stave off any infection.....asked the dermatologists office about the toenail splitting....is it a fungus? Something else? She suggested we test his thyroid function??? Have test scheduled for Thursday...

Last but not least I've noticed a yellowy discharge from his pee-er which is not totally unusual but I'm positive it's more than his normal....so will check on that on Thursday, too!

On the bright side, Schultz has no idea he has so many issues.... Gave him a bubble bath a couple of hours ago and he is curled up next to me dreaming about chasing rabbits (with super clean feet)

Why am I so worried?

Well thanks for listening it helps just to share with all of you good people who understand the challenges and joys of bulldog companionship.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
sorry to see Schultz going through these problems. hopefully they will have good news for you later this week. :yes:

get well soon!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
You're worried because that's what we do! :)

I hope the toenail is just a side effect from the yeast. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all this will blow over easily. :hug:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sorry you're going through all this ... does he have a history of allergies. As you know we have crazy pollen counts right now and everybody is seriously suffering from allergies. I'm wondering if that is what this is ... and that could cause the yeast too. Also, what are you feeding him??

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I totally understand your fears. It's something we all have in common. I'm not much help with most of this..but I do know antibiotics can and do cause other issues. I'm thinking the yellow discharge could be an off shoot of strong antibiotics. The Coccidia is hard to get rid of..and I'm so glad you discovered it. I'd just try and deal with one issue at a time and know you are just being a wonderful Bully parent. :hug:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'm with Becky and thinking that the antibiotics suppressed his immune system. I did a quick search on google and a compromised one can affect the nails.

Hope Schultz gets better soon. :hug:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I can definedly understand your worry, but most times things just come together so that we end up worrying for no reason. If it's fungal it can be treated and if it's thyroid that can easily be treated too. Keep us posted.

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=3872]Watson[/MENTION] thanks for your well wishes
@AliceKable thanks and I hope Mack's nose is feeling better....Schultz had quite a bit of his nose crust off but it grew back nicely
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] thanks for your well wishes
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] interesting thoughts on the antibiotics....goodness knows he's had more than his fair share....my google search on brittle nails turned up a case of melanoma so I stopped looking ....yikes
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=4450]Lily122511[/MENTION] [MENTION=4277]gunnyboy[/MENTION] I really appreciate the support

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Vets are so quick to give antibiotics.... kind of scary in a way. Let's hope an answer is found in the tests and is easily treatable.

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] I'm confident Schultz has environmental allergies though he's not been tested, the vet dermatologist didn't think it was necessary to test him for 2 reasons.... He benefits from the allergy routine of my Weimaraner (who is certified allergic to Ohio) got rid of carpeting, installed air cleaners, wipe feet and bodies every time we go back inside from outside, dust mite covers on any thing they touch....she felt that I was doing well keeping his allergy response minimal and she doesn't believe in the blood test for food allergies (too many false positives) only way to prove food allergy is to eliminate foods and document reactions....so I've documented Schultz is sensitive to all poultry and grains of all kinds.... He eats THK zeal and Origen's 6fish kibble and I add animal essentials probiotics and digestive enzymes, springtime's bug-off garlic and longevity supplements. The only treats he gets are pieces of fresh fruit and vegetables...I just wish I could find his magic formula to keep him healthy and off of antibiotics....

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
giving antibiotics/steroids is only a quick fix .its the same with antihistamines we only treat the symptoms,though all the things mentioned do keep the symptoms at bay,research how you can boost/maintain the immune system its the only way to hopefully avoid all these horrible symptoms,its a long hard road ,but hopefully you can get to the bottom of whats ailing your bully,nothing worse than an itchy dog!,karen

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.