Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Wow poor Audrey!! So glad you found this girl, she is very lucky! I can't even get over this man trying to trade in for another puppy! WTF?! p.s I kinda want to change my Frenchie Divas name to Audrey Hepbull, such a great name! Too bad Diva already was named when we adopted her hahaa!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Poor and lucky girl. I hope she recovers fully and starts enjoying life fully like she deserves.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So Audrey went to the vet today. I said in my intro post that Audrey is new to my fiancé and I. She is a 15 month old female bulldog. She has demodex mange and came from an abusive and neglectful home. She currently weighs a healthy 50 pounds, but in Jnauary, her old owner had starved her to a scant 28 pounds.

So at the vet we found out that in addition to her mange, she has a ton or bacteria on her skin, so the vet has put her onto Cephalexin for the next month. Audrey smells awful and while I thought this was due to the mange, it is actually because of the bacteria on her skin. Hopefully the antibiotic will help take care of the "burnt rubber" smell that is coming off her body. :cry: She continues to need baths 3x a week with Pyoben shampoo and a rich conditioner.

Because demodex is a problem brought on by a weak immune system, the vet has also put her on a natural "immune boosting" supplement that contains vitamins, antioxidants, green tea, medicinal mushrooms, and selenium. She has to be on this supplement for at least 6 months.

Audrey already is also taking probiotics, digestive enzymes, kelp, and fish oil. She has been switched to a raw diet (luckily we have a holistic vet who is totally on board with that). The vet has also recommended she start on Apple Cider Vinegar taken by mouth daily.

Turns out Audrey also has entropion on her upper and lower eyelids on BOTH eyes. She said it is not super severe and there is a slight chance she may "grow out of it" when she gets over the mange and her body's swelling and inflammation goes down. If not, then it will need to be corrected with surgery. She has scarring/cloudiness on her left eye. She isn't totally blind in that eye but she cant see out of that eye in the dark at all. They stained her eye and it is not an active ulcer, just a scar.

She also has a Histiocytoma on her chest. It is a small mass. The vet says it is benign (but ugly looking). She said sometimes these rumors disappear on their own over time. Hopefully that will happen.

Audrey also gets idiopathic head tremors. The vet is having us log when, how often, and for how long they happen. She says she is nor familiar with that condition, but I don't plan to put Audrey on any anti-seizure meds for it. Vet says she thinks the tremors may decrease with age.

Audrey also likely has hip dysplasia. When she walks, I can feel her left hip "popping" maybe her right hip too, but the left hip's popping is more pronounced. We are focusing on the mange treatment right now and then we will eventually have her x-rayed so we can address the hips. My fiancé and I are hoping she won't need surgery on her hips AND eyes. That would be SOOOOO expensive. :(

She has a recheck in a month. The vet is confident she will fully recover from the mange, but it will take several months of aggressive treatment. Once she gets I've the mange, she has many more hurdles to go. Please keep us in your thoughts.

Well, you definitely got your hands full. The manage I have no experience with and it is true the ethropian may clear up after the other issues are fixed.. The head temors.. I have a lot of experience with -- they are harmless and cause no pain or discomfort to Audrey, it is similar to us having a twitch in our eye... annoying. When ever she has one, give her a treat of any kind or a piece of kibble anything to distract the muscles; as long as she is responsive it is not a seizure. and lastly the hip dysplasia... Banks has had this since a puppy... we do pain management with her and keep her weight down --- she does not miss out on anything and we have learned to know when she needs a med adjustment.

Hugs and best of luck with all .... keep us posted.

OP
Audrey Hepbull

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
So just a quick update on Audrey.....

She has been on her antibiotics for 3 days now, and maybe I'm going crazy but I really think her body odor (a burnt rubber smell) is starting to go away. The vet said her smell was from the bacteria on her skin. She on antibiotics for 27 more days, so hopefully her skin will be bacteria free at her recheck appointment at the end of the month.

I think she is starting to feel better because she actually played with my fiancé's parents boxers today! I have never seen her run or play, so that was exciting! This Sunday we will have had Audrey for 2 weeks.

She is doing great on her raw diet. Stools are nice and normal. She LOVES to eat and takes her medicine just fine.

She is starting to grow some hair back in the areas where she didn't have any. She still has "elephant skin" but I'm sure it will get better soon now that we are increasing her ivemectin dose.

She has really bonded to my fiancé and I. When we wake up in the morning come home from work she is so happy to see us. :)

Hoping she just keeps getting better and better. :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Awwww bless her heart. She's so lucky now that she found her way to you.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great news! :dance3: Yay Audrey!

I'm no nurse...and actually shun all things "hospital-like" but I would bet that some of those "critters" she has come with smells associated with them.

Members online

No members online now.