Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audrey's $500 "routine" Vet Visit

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Wow...that's a lot to manage....I was feeling a little blue over my guy's issues (at the moment)....but it's nothing compared to your girl's current challenges. Hang in there, it's sounds like this bullie found just the right people to help her enjoy life!

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    Audrey Hepbull
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Audrey's $500 "routine" Vet Visit

Audrey has severe generalized mange so it is all over every inch of her body. Her hair is just now starting to come back. The kelp is just 1/2 teaspoon per day, so hardly anything. There is vitamin E in the immune boost supplement hat she is taking.
    Bully Love From,
    Giuli, Matt, Audrey Hepbull, and Copernicus Darwin(Papillon)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Audrey Hepbull
    Likes (Received)

We loved Audrey from the first moment we saw her. We knew she had mange before we ever got her. She is the sweetest dog. I just wish there would be changes to the Bulldog breed so that they wouldn't get all these horrible problems
    Bully Love From,

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Wow poor Audrey!! So glad you found this girl, she is very lucky! I can't even get over this man trying to trade in for another puppy! WTF?! p.s I kinda want to change my Frenchie Divas name to Audrey Hepbull, such a great name! Too bad Diva already was named when we adopted her hahaa!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I am so glad Audrey found you and is getting the love and care she deserves!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Oh gezz, poor girl. I just wanted to say I'm heartfully happy she's in your hands now.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Poor and lucky girl. I hope she recovers fully and starts enjoying life fully like she deserves.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    Poor and lucky girl. I hope she recovers fully and starts enjoying life fully like she deserves.
    Ditto!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey Hepbull View Post
    So Audrey went to the vet today. I said in my intro post that Audrey is new to my fiancé and I. She is a 15 month old female bulldog. She has demodex mange and came from an abusive and neglectful home. She currently weighs a healthy 50 pounds, but in Jnauary, her old owner had starved her to a scant 28 pounds.

So at the vet we found out that in addition to her mange, she has a ton or bacteria on her skin, so the vet has put her onto Cephalexin for the next month. Audrey smells awful and while I thought this was due to the mange, it is actually because of the bacteria on her skin. Hopefully the antibiotic will help take care of the "burnt rubber" smell that is coming off her body. She continues to need baths 3x a week with Pyoben shampoo and a rich conditioner.

Because demodex is a problem brought on by a weak immune system, the vet has also put her on a natural "immune boosting" supplement that contains vitamins, antioxidants, green tea, medicinal mushrooms, and selenium. She has to be on this supplement for at least 6 months.

Audrey already is also taking probiotics, digestive enzymes, kelp, and fish oil. She has been switched to a raw diet (luckily we have a holistic vet who is totally on board with that). The vet has also recommended she start on Apple Cider Vinegar taken by mouth daily.

Turns out Audrey also has entropion on her upper and lower eyelids on BOTH eyes. She said it is not super severe and there is a slight chance she may "grow out of it" when she gets over the mange and her body's swelling and inflammation goes down. If not, then it will need to be corrected with surgery. She has scarring/cloudiness on her left eye. She isn't totally blind in that eye but she cant see out of that eye in the dark at all. They stained her eye and it is not an active ulcer, just a scar.

She also has a Histiocytoma on her chest. It is a small mass. The vet says it is benign (but ugly looking). She said sometimes these rumors disappear on their own over time. Hopefully that will happen.

Audrey also gets idiopathic head tremors. The vet is having us log when, how often, and for how long they happen. She says she is nor familiar with that condition, but I don't plan to put Audrey on any anti-seizure meds for it. Vet says she thinks the tremors may decrease with age.

Audrey also likely has hip dysplasia. When she walks, I can feel her left hip "popping" maybe her right hip too, but the left hip's popping is more pronounced. We are focusing on the mange treatment right now and then we will eventually have her x-rayed so we can address the hips. My fiancé and I are hoping she won't need surgery on her hips AND eyes. That would be SOOOOO expensive.

She has a recheck in a month. The vet is confident she will fully recover from the mange, but it will take several months of aggressive treatment. Once she gets I've the mange, she has many more hurdles to go. Please keep us in your thoughts.

Well, you definitely got your hands full. The manage I have no experience with and it is true the ethropian may clear up after the other issues are fixed.. The head temors.. I have a lot of experience with -- they are harmless and cause no pain or discomfort to Audrey, it is similar to us having a twitch in our eye... annoying. When ever she has one, give her a treat of any kind or a piece of kibble anything to distract the muscles; as long as she is responsive it is not a seizure. and lastly the hip dysplasia... Banks has had this since a puppy... we do pain management with her and keep her weight down --- she does not miss out on anything and we have learned to know when she needs a med adjustment.

Hugs and best of luck with all .... keep us posted.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Audrey Hepbull
    Likes (Received)

So just a quick update on Audrey.....

She has been on her antibiotics for 3 days now, and maybe I'm going crazy but I really think her body odor (a burnt rubber smell) is starting to go away. The vet said her smell was from the bacteria on her skin. She on antibiotics for 27 more days, so hopefully her skin will be bacteria free at her recheck appointment at the end of the month.

I think she is starting to feel better because she actually played with my fiancé's parents boxers today! I have never seen her run or play, so that was exciting! This Sunday we will have had Audrey for 2 weeks.

She is doing great on her raw diet. Stools are nice and normal. She LOVES to eat and takes her medicine just fine.

She is starting to grow some hair back in the areas where she didn't have any. She still has "elephant skin" but I'm sure it will get better soon now that we are increasing her ivemectin dose.

She has really bonded to my fiancé and I. When we wake up in the morning come home from work she is so happy to see us.

Hoping she just keeps getting better and better.
    Bully Love From,

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

Awwww bless her heart. She's so lucky now that she found her way to you.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Great news! Yay Audrey!

I'm no nurse...and actually shun all things "hospital-like" but I would bet that some of those "critters" she has come with smells associated with them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads