Poor George

roxNjames

Oct 13, 2011
Hey there my fellow Bully moms and dads hope you're all doing well. Our poor little George has a couple of minor issues and I was hoping you all can give us some tips before going to the vet since he has had a couple temper issues with them lol.

First issue: The skin on his chin looks irritated and bumpy. Every once in a while when one of the bumps pop he starts bleeding and when I wipe it there's no pain. We just bought some Oxy acne pads, but I'd like to know how many times a day we should use them. Is there anything else we can do if it is acne besides the pads and wiping his chin after drinking?

Second issue: His right eye and only his right eye looks a little redder (don't know if that's a word) and he has a lot of eye boogers in it throughout the day. I don't think it's a food allergy because we've had him on Taste of the Wild salmon diet for about 3 months or so. Again he doesn't seem in pain when I look at it or take his boogers out (yuck lol).

Thanks in advance!

RoxNjames

P.S. If anyone knows how to upload pictures from an iPhone that would be awesome since I know you'd rather see a picture.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well I am far from an expert but the eye could be conjunctivitis (pink eye). My pups and skin babies have all had it, no biggy but if it is you need eye drops. Being the eye it might be worth a vet trip. The chin is no big deal or shouldn't be. I use mal a ket wipes which can be bought on Amazon. They are similar to stridex so I have heard but I have never used stridex to know first hand. Miila gets this, I use the mal a ket once and they dry out and heal up within a day usually. Water is a big cause and with her she just is crazy and scratching herself on random things which doesn't help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Stridex pads work nicely on bulldog chin acne that's already present.

Keeping a nice, clean dry chin is your first line of defense against these bumps. Bea used to get them - but oddly enough, Bo never has. Stainless steel food dishes, washed and air-dried after each meal is always a good idea. Part of the dinner routine here is wiping up "gravy face"; a ritual they are both expected to participate in -- however reluctantly. LOL Bea got them more when she was younger; teething and drooly. (is that a word?) Now, not so much.

OP
R

roxNjames

Oct 13, 2011
Thanks for the tips/confirmation. His chin is already looking alot better and for some reason his eye isn't nearly as bad. Guess I was overreacting a bit, but I guess that's a good thing right? Haha

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You can try Benadryl..if its environmental that's affecting the eyes, it will help. I give Jake one am and one pm if his eyes are goobery! I also use the Maloket wipes..I found the strides, even with aloe, we're too strong for him.!

OP
R

roxNjames

Oct 13, 2011
Just plain ol' Benadryl? Orally? And youth or adult dosage?

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Yes just plain Benadryl. Don't use the kind with pain reliever though. HRH weighs 40lbs and we give her two this time of year she's been itchier with the trees blooming and it helps calm the incessant licking.

For the eye goobers I suggest trying something like Blink or artificial tears to lubricate his eyes. We put gel (prescription) in HRH's eyes daily for dry eye and she doesn't get much goop at all anymore. It also took care of what seemed like entropian .

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
There could also be low tear production in the eye, causing dry eye. I would try the lubricating drops like Bruce suggested, and if you see no improvement you may want to get the eye looked at.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
definitely the lubricating eye ointment. the gel is better than the drops. it's perfectly safe.

you may want to get the eye checked by the vet though...to rule out things like conjunctivitis, entropion or distichiasis.

my vet told us that because the orbital sac is bigger in bullies they have more of a propensity to get microbials in there. i regularly have to rinse out ivy's one eye with normal saline. she doesn't like it, but she's used to it. it's better than developing an infection and having to administer antibiotics.

the chin acne--i use nature's aid and it works brilliantly. you can get it at any health food store and it is safe for pets.

the eye goobers...this is a fact of life for my bullies. i am forever wiping wrinkles and faces, as we all are...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online