Off to our first non-appointment vet visit

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Our little guy is 5 months old and normally has great solid stools. Noticed Friday evening they were getting soft. Saturday evening he actually pooped in his bed (something he hasn't done since his first night home with us 3 months ago). So Sunday we decided to put him on chicken and rice until things got back to normal. By Sunday late afternoon we noticed some blood in his stool. He was unusually lathargic last night but still has his a hearty appetite. Even with the chicken and rice his stool was still too runny for comfort this morning. So we're off to the animal hospital this morning as soon as they open. He seems to be out of sorts but not in any sort of distress - just off. Anyone have any thoughts? Just wondering what I should keep in mind when speaking to the vet since this is our first time going for anything other than vacinations and such. Thank you everyone!

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That that it's good that you're taking him to see the vet. Hope it's nothing and he gets well soon! Keep us posted!

OP
thesspa

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Thank you - he's curled up on the couch with my husband right now taking their morning nap.... I'm a little worried because I can tell he just doesn't feel good. But he doesn't appear to be in any kind of distress and seems to be sleeping comfortably.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I know your worry. You will develop an"eye" for their moods and conditions. My Usko has had his share of illnesses and I have to try not to get paranoid:shout: Every time he has made it and I've worried too much so I'm sure that your little Bacon will be fine too!

OP
thesspa

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
thank you - yes, we are thinking the same thing

OP
thesspa

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
leaving now - will let you know what the vet says

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
sounds like Giardia or Coccidia , it's common in young pups. add plain canned pumpkin to diet and Aldon from vet and 1 tab of fish zole. It's a good thing you are going to the vet.

OP
thesspa

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
just came back - he's sending the stool out for testing and leaning on the side of caution and putting him on an antibiotic just to be safe
was told to give him liquid immodium to counter the loose stool/dehydration.... vet said becuase there is not vomitting and no fever, he's not overly concerned
so I guess we'll see what the lab says and we'll watch him closely

OP
thesspa

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
a little progress but not much - his energy seems to be up a bit but no change in his stool.... even with the chicken/rice and immodium, he is still pretty liquid. decided to stay home from work again today to keep an eye on him.... I think I'll feel better when the lab results come back so we'll know more

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I never heard of a vet sending the pooh out, is he checking for parvo? that's checked if the puppy is throwing up, diarrhea and lethargic.

OP
thesspa

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
no vomitting and no fever but yes to diarreha and lethargy... he was sending it out for testing to make sure he didn't have some kind of infection but hoping that he ate something that wasn't agreeing with him

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
AAAhhhh I see. Keep up posted? yes

OP
thesspa

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
so in the end (some pun intended) - the test results came back negative and we found the culprit in his stool.... part of a himalayan chew that he must have swallowed whole which does NOT break down as the manufacturer states

he's back to his normal self and we can tell, VERY happy to be feeling better... so glad to see our puppy acting crazy, can't bring myself to correct any behaviors LOL

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
so in the end (some pun intended) - the test results came back negative and we found the culprit in his stool.... part of a himalayan chew that he must have swallowed whole which does NOT break down as the manufacturer states

he's back to his normal self and we can tell, VERY happy to be feeling better... so glad to see our puppy acting crazy, can't bring myself to correct any behaviors LOL

Oh wow so glad it finally surfaced!! Back to great poos now I hope?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.